IGNORED

Heavy/Light Sixer (how do you tell?)

dommie

I just resurrected a dead 6-switch 2600, but I don't know how to tell if it's a light or heavy 6. What's the easiest way to tell? My first reaction is that it's a light, being that the serial number tag is big and green and say "manufactured for Atari by Dimerco. Made in Taiwan." But, the thing is physically "heavy." When I took it apart, I noticed 2 things:

1) The board was in 2 pieces. I've only ever had 4-switchers before and the motherboard in those are 1 big piece.

2) The main board is encased in a thick metal housing (aluminum maybe?). The 4-switchers I've seen all had just a little bit of tin RF shielding, not this thick metal case. This got me thinking is this thick metal case what makes it a Heavy Sixer?

I just resurrected a dead 6-switch 2600, but I don't know how to tell if it's a light or heavy 6. What's the easiest way to tell? My first reaction is that it's a light, being that the serial number tag is big and green and say "manufactured for Atari by Dimerco. Made in Taiwan." But, the thing is physically "heavy." When I took it apart, I noticed 2 things:

1) The board was in 2 pieces. I've only ever had 4-switchers before and the motherboard in those are 1 big piece.

2) The main board is encased in a thick metal housing (aluminum maybe?). The 4-switchers I've seen all had just a little bit of tin RF shielding, not this thick metal case. This got me thinking is this thick metal case what makes it a Heavy Sixer?

Heavy Sixers have thick rounded plastic on the sides, while Light Sixers have thin, angular plastic. Both systems have thick RF shielding; the only difference is the bottom case.

I guess it's Light then? Maybe, I dunno. It looks kind of angular.

You should easily be able to tell by the photos in the hardware guide:

http://www.atariage.com/2600/archives/consoles.html

Hmm, I still don't know. Is it possible to be a combo of both? Mine has the thick metal RF shielding as described in the heavy, and doesn't have orange piping as shown in the light 6 pic. And I'm having a hard time seeing a difference in casing shape in both pics in the link.

Here's a pic of mine:

Photo13.jpg

Photo14.jpg

SN: 81502076 if that helps. Also, a big red sticker for "Atari Super Service" with toll free numbers for California and cont. U.S.

Edited by dommie

I guess it's Light then? Maybe, I dunno. It looks kind of angular.

You should easily be able to tell by the photos in the hardware guide:

http://www.atariage.com/2600/archives/consoles.html

Hmm, I still don't know. Is it possible to be a combo of both? Mine has the thick metal RF shielding as described in the heavy, and doesn't have orange piping as shown in the light 6 pic. And I'm having a hard time seeing a difference in casing shape in both pics in the link.

Here's a pic of mine:

SN: 81502076 if that helps. Also, a big red sticker for "Atari Super Service" with toll free numbers for California and cont. U.S.

Once you do realize the difference, you will be able to tell very easily from many feet away. But yeah, unless you've actually seen them in person, it may be a little confusing. As Iwan said though, definitely a light. I have seen some without the orange piping, or sometimes it rubs mostly or completely off over time.

If you turn a heavy sixer around backwards, you will see that the thick bottom casing wraps around underneath the controller ports. That's the easiest way I know to explain it. The rest is just "looks". Once you see a heavy in person, though, you'll be able to spot another right away.

If you turn a heavy sixer around backwards, you will see that the thick bottom casing wraps around underneath the controller ports. That's the easiest way I know to explain it. The rest is just "looks". Once you see a heavy in person, though, you'll be able to spot another right away.

I think the heavy backs look so much cooler and more sleek than all others.

heavy_sixer.jpg

Edited by Cynn

Yes!, The H6er is the coolest looking out of all the Atari 2600 units! I only use a Heavy Sixer to play my 2600 games. They used better quality off-the-shelf components in the H6er. It has deeper, richer colors and the RF output is crystal clear. Not so with other Ataris. There is much nostolgia associated with the heavy from 1977-78 and it's neat to be using an "antique" entertainment device! 31 years old.......wow.