IGNORED

The "I believe that Air Raid is from Latin America" Thread

RangerG

All I know is, is that if eskobar here on AA comes up with these on eBay, like the Quadruns and Asterix carts we will know for sure. :D

Well, from what I gather, Eskobar finds the Quadruns/Asterix games in street sales which consist of games that came from the US. Basically stuff we threw away years ago that was sent to Mexico. One copy of Air Raid WAS found at a mexican yard sale, I think two have been found in CA and this recent one in Texas. Not sure about the rest of them but I still think it was made in Mexico. Could it have been brought to the US to sell? Maybe a small run of 15 or so to test the market? For one reason or another the project was scrapped and that was that? Who knows, I hope this dude from TX finds a manual but it looks grim...

Just cause it might have been made in Mexico doesn't mean it's not a NTSC release though and alot of people seem to stick to PAL or NTSC. Myself I don't care cause I got love for all things Atari :)

Unfortunately though, even if its NTSC, if its confirmed not to be a US release, the value will drop considerably. I've got NTSC carts that make Air Raid look dirt common. Who wants to give me $2k each for them??

I've got NTSC carts that make Air Raid look dirt common.

Like what, out of curiosity? I'm not being smarmy, it's just that the only titles I can think of that fit that description are things like Video Life and Magicard.

http://www.atarimania.com/lst_soft.php?MEN...n_sauver=Search

As you can see, Air Raid isn't even ON this list.

8)

Like what, out of curiosity? I'm not being smarmy, it's just that the only titles I can think of that fit that description are things like Video Life and Magicard.

http://www.atarimania.com/lst_soft.php?MEN...n_sauver=Search

As you can see, Air Raid isn't even ON this list.

8)

Red Sea Crossing was a hoax :P

:)

Fair question. I wasn't referring to US releases such as VL or Magicard, as they are of 'similar' value to Air Raid. Here's an example of what I am referring to. Its a Funvision copy of Super Challenge Baseball, and has a different rom from the Atari version and corrects a bug in the programming. Apart from this cart, the same rom has only ever been found on a console.

post-7232-1238908043_thumb.jpg

All I know is, is that if eskobar here on AA comes up with these on eBay, like the Quadruns and Asterix carts we will know for sure. :D

Well, from what I gather, Eskobar finds the Quadruns/Asterix games in street sales which consist of games that came from the US. Basically stuff we threw away years ago that was sent to Mexico. One copy of Air Raid WAS found at a mexican yard sale, I think two have been found in CA and this recent one in Texas. Not sure about the rest of them but I still think it was made in Mexico. Could it have been brought to the US to sell? Maybe a small run of 15 or so to test the market? For one reason or another the project was scrapped and that was that? Who knows, I hope this dude from TX finds a manual but it looks grim...

The fact that cartridges were found in California and Texas would be very strong evidence supporting a claim that this was not a US release. Having lived 7 minutes from the US/Mexico border for most of my childhood and teenage years, I spent plenty of time at swapmeets in southern San Diego County. There was a very, very steady flow of electronics and video games back and forth across the border. In fact, some of my rarest stuff found in the wild was bought from sellers who drove up from Tijuana for the day to sell at the swap meet. I also passed on a lot of pirate and Latin American market electronics and games that made their way up from Central and South America. Some of this stuff also turned up at local thrift shops and in the late 80s when we had large contingents of Japanese nationals working in Northern Mexico at various electronics plants, lots of Famicom and MSX stuff could be found.

I personally could care less if this is a "real" US release or not. I'm one of those collectors who doesn't buy anything that slipped so far under the radar that it was never on the radar. There's too much stuff I will never get to play in one lifetime to make this and many other marginal games not worth owning. It's not an ego thing, it's just reality.

No offense, but what you are saying doesnt make a lot of sense to me. By placing a cap on what you collect, you are actually paying a very hefty premium for the games you are collecting, because you are limiting the supply of games that are being demanded by the pool of collectors. The common games are dirt cheap everywhere and are not the reason for putting the cap on what you collect. As for the rare stuff, you see US versions of UR games selling at 10x their PAL equivalents, even where the PAL equivalent is far rarer. US collectors who collect non-US stuff are actually buying non-US games at a discount ;) Ask Rick, Crunchy or Frostbite Bailey and they'll tell you that, for example, the UR PAL stuff they buy they get dirt cheap when compared to UR US releases

This is done one collector at a time not by a group of all US collectors having a meeting and making this decision. So collectively you may be right and these collectors may be increasing the prices on NTSC games but one collector at a time you can clearly see the option to just collect 1 type over all types limits the effort, space and cash needed to pursue a collection.

Collecting goes in stages. The first stage is to take some interest in the machine you had as a child. You might just pull out the machine from the attic once a year or buy a flashback or a PS2 disc with some Atari games on it. Some people end there. The next step would be to seek out other games at the thrift,flee markets ebay. These would be games they wanted as a child but never had. Some people stop there. Most sort these by company and start looking over internet listings of all titles. The next step would be to start filling in the games missing from these lists. Most stop there. Some do go after every game in every country.

Part of the problem with PAL is the listing. It is better now than in the past but back when I started no one had a clue what was out there. Some people like to collect with limitless boundries but many people like a clear cut list.

Part of the problem with PAL is the listing. It is better now than in the past but back when I started no one had a clue what was out there. Some people like to collect with limitless boundries but many people like a clear cut list.

i think that is part of the fun (and not of any problem)!

i have special carts that noone else has, dino has his specials, marco has some treasures that noone knew of until he puts out some pics, and many more have some outstanding items a lot of others weren't aware of ... this is (to me) what makes collecting PAL a lot more exciting ...

in the NTSC world, it's usually just an unreleased proto that will catch collectors attention ... or another air raid poping up.

Filling up your game room to accomplish an exact list of items is more a competition driven thing. and it can get frustrating knowing that there is nothing more than your wantlist left out there ...

the eurocon last year was a lot of fun, because people dig out special items that others don't have and because we all accept and embrace the idea of adding pirates to the collection. also, the fact that they don't go for so much money is sweet, because the goal of adding games depends on your research and your quickness, not just about how deep your pockets are. i got a first serie bit corp game CIB from marco for 20 bucks, and i've seen less of those than i've seen boxed quadruns which go for a lot more ...

imagine a trade meeting of people that all filled up their ntsc collection up to the last one:

... i have that one!

... yeah, i have that one too!

... and i have that one!

... got that one too!

... me too!

... i have that one!

... got that one too!

and after two hours everyone finds out that they ALL have the exact same games and that they didn't really have anything to talk about ... :P

• 11 months later...
This type of T-handle is not seen in Brazil (the only Brazilian T-handles are the completely different Tron / Digivision ones) and only very few Brazilian carts carry a label without a company name or game title.

[...]

And not one Brazilian company actually put that much effort in creating a game from 'scratch'.

I seem to recall some mentions countering both of these points. There is a thread somewhere with an Air Raid cart that either has an end label or has adhesive residue from one (that's right, a label actually stuck on the "T" handle). And there is another thread where Clonespy confirms that Air Raid is not an original program, but a hack of Space Jockey, so not "from scratch" (though it is a major reworking of the code).

There is a thread somewhere with an Air Raid cart that either has an end label or has adhesive residue from one (that's right, a label actually stuck on the "T" handle).

Condor Attack, not Air Raid, or whatever that game is called. ;)