IGNORED

VBXE 2

candle

I wonder if there is need for another production run of VBXE graphics adapter for 8 bit atari

Although names says XE it can be used in any atari having ANTIC/GTIA and FREDDY chips on board

for FREDDY-less machines clock divider must me used

VBXE 2 is compatible with previously released v1.2 and only few thing were changed

- ANTIC chip is located on board in DIP2IDC connector adapter, so vbxe can be removed in any point of time - no soldering required

- VBXE Core boot time (time to load soft-core into the FPGA chip, and enable RGB output after power-on) decreased from 6.5 sec to 0.9 sec

- board dimensions decreased from 72x60mm to 66x44mm

- 14mhz generator circuit was included on board, so there is no additional clock generator module placed near FREDDY chip

FX core programmers manual (translated by Drac030 from Polish)

VBXE 2 board composite printout for reference

VBXE 1.2 (under printout) compared to VBXE 2.0:

vbxe2.jpg

prototype should be ready till 25 of april, and production run should start by the end of april

cost of ready board is not know yet, but should be under $100 (this is rought estimate, more exact price should be know till 25 of april)

i'll talk about this with Electron, i'm just the guy responsible for new board and faster loader, all hard work was done by Electron

all parts are buyable, so no problem there (v1.2 parts - video DAC from intersil is now obsolete)

i just hope there will be more production for VBXE than it was in last year

i have the feeling that those 20 boards were misplaced, and except for few people (Tebe, Drac030, Trub, Laoo and some i would not know of) didn't bother to do anything with it

I wonder if there is need for another production run of VBXE graphics adapter for 8 bit atari

Although names says XE it can be used in any atari having ANTIC/GTIA and FREDDY chips on board

for FREDDY-less machines clock divider must me used

(snip...)

prototype should be ready till 25 of april, and production run should start by the end of april

cost of ready board is not know yet, but should be under $100 (this is rought estimate, more exact price should be know till 25 of april)

If it will work with NTSC, and around $100 -- I'm in.

-Larry

I would like to buy one, too.... in a perfect world I would buy a complete system (65xe,stereo pokey, 320kb,vbexe2).

please make a preorder list like for carts...

ps. oh, just went through the doc.... ram expansion not required as the VBXE2 is already a 320kb one...

Edited by Heaven/TQA

thx Draco030 for the english translation... now I can understand more of the features... cool stuff!

the dynamic display list reminds me sony psx, Amiga or 7800... ;) now I am at the color attribute section of the pdf... hehe... do we really get a color map??? :)

Edited by Heaven/TQA

draco...that's exactly what I ment with "do we really get..." in the old modes... :)

only issue what I do have not a fealing for is the speed to setup everything...

and maybe I have overread it...but how do I pass over commands to the VBX? or do I write into the $4000 window?

do we really get a color map???

Yes. And note that it works in "old" display modes, i.e. you can setup it for the ANTIC/GTIA display (in fact, the "new" VBXE display modes do not need the color map so much).

so...in theory I could detect the VBX via software (or by user) and add the color map to my software as "bonus" like the stereo msx or extra ram?

I'm going to have to seriously look into getting this.

So much for any planned upgrade to SLI'd 9800GTs on the main machine... this looks to be where the action's at.

Also, have to get someone who's already got one to see if we can get interlace going on the thing.