IGNORED

Fine Tune Heavy 2600 Picture -- over-saturated pic

SnapCraft

OK here's my situation. I have a over-saturated picture (like the color on the TV was turned all the way up). I've seen tons of "fuzzy" threads, but I don't think this is the same thing.

I have adjusted the white wheel (just changes the colors, doesn't tame the brightness). I guess I need to get the plastic hex tool from Radio Shack (?) to adjust the red/pink hex dial right underneath the cartridge slot. I have tried a different RF cable and I'm using the updated RF connection to the TV.

So some questions:

(1) Will adjusting the red/pink hex dial help it or is that just for sound?

(2) There is a hole in the RF metal box inside the 2600, should that be adjusted?

I'm not a novice, but I'm nowhere near the level some of you are talking. So keep it fairly simple please.

Oh yeah, I'd rather not (and can not) go composite or S-Video -- keep it authentic.

Thanks...

Ok, that helps. I suspect that it really is saturation. The sixers have a resistor between pins 6 and 9 of the TIA chip (620 Ohm IIRC) to boost the saturation. Most if not all other models omitted this resistor. You can increase the value of that resistor until you get an image that you like. I would recommend experimenting with a 100k pot to get an idea of what you like best. Then measure the pot's value and install a fixed resistor of that value (closest match). You can of course just remove the resistor all together with no problems for the least possible saturation level. But that always looks washed out to me.

The sixers have a resistor between pins 6 and 9 of the TIA chip (620 Ohm IIRC) to boost the saturation. Most if not all other models omitted this resistor. You can increase the value of that resistor until you get an image that you like. I would recommend experimenting with a 100k pot to get an idea of what you like best. Then measure the pot's value and install a fixed resistor of that value (closest match). You can of course just remove the resistor all together with no problems for the least possible saturation level. But that always looks washed out to me.

OK, woah, you lost me. I do appreciate the help, but can you give me a picture (and close up) of the area your talking about? I checked the Field Manual, and I couldn't find the TIA chip.

Two things: I'm glad I was probably right in my thinking, and #2, I don't know if I want to start altering the inside. As a collector I want to keep it as pure as possible.

It's probably not the RF metal box, eh? That would be trouble. If it is the way it is, so be it. However, I've heard on these boards that the Heavy Sixer is supposed to be the standard of what all other 2600's aspire to be. Anybody else have this over-saturation "problem"?

Thanks

The sixers have a resistor between pins 6 and 9 of the TIA chip (620 Ohm IIRC) to boost the saturation. Most if not all other models omitted this resistor. You can increase the value of that resistor until you get an image that you like. I would recommend experimenting with a 100k pot to get an idea of what you like best. Then measure the pot's value and install a fixed resistor of that value (closest match). You can of course just remove the resistor all together with no problems for the least possible saturation level. But that always looks washed out to me.

OK, woah, you lost me. I do appreciate the help, but can you give me a picture (and close up) of the area your talking about? I checked the Field Manual, and I couldn't find the TIA chip.

Two things: I'm glad I was probably right in my thinking, and #2, I don't know if I want to start altering the inside. As a collector I want to keep it as pure as possible.

It's probably not the RF metal box, eh? That would be trouble. If it is the way it is, so be it. However, I've heard on these boards that the Heavy Sixer is supposed to be the standard of what all other 2600's aspire to be. Anybody else have this over-saturation "problem"?

Thanks

My first suggestion should be turn down the color sat on your TV. The heavy sixer has the best output IMHO. But a lot of people don't like that for one reason or another. I have a meeting so I gotta keep this short. I can't dig my field manual out right now, so I'm guessing how things are labeled in there. The TIA is the custom chip. Not the 6507 or the RIOT. Look for the chip that is connected to the crystal circuit on pin 11. All of your video output comes out here too. E.g. "sync" is on pin 2. Blank is pin 6 and color is pin 9. You should find a resistor directly connecting them. Wait...Atariage has schematics.

post-260-1240194303_thumb.png

I circled the resistor in question. It's 680 Ohms in this schematic. Gotta go

Can you post a screen photo?

Sure, I'll give this a shot...

Heavy Sixer

3457598280_bae140e20b_b.jpg

...compared to my 4 Switch Woody

3456778403_638b43f748_b.jpg

I dunno... when I look at these pictures, my first thought is that your 4 switch looks washed out and your heavy looks good -- nice strong colors and sharp edges without the usual bleeding.

I remember when I first switched to the heavy 6 from my 4, I thought the color looked a little too "vibrant." But I think it is what you are used to. After a while, I preferred colors of the heavy.

If it were me, I would adjust the "color" setting on the TV down a few notches, as well as turning down the red a bit.

I dunno... when I look at these pictures, my first thought is that your 4 switch looks washed out and your heavy looks good -- nice strong colors and sharp edges without the usual bleeding.

I remember when I first switched to the heavy 6 from my 4, I thought the color looked a little too "vibrant." But I think it is what you are used to. After a while, I preferred colors of the heavy.

If it were me, I would adjust the "color" setting on the TV down a few notches, as well as turning down the red a bit.

Totally agree. Here's what it *should* look like:

post-260-1240297719_thumb.png

This is a snapshot taken with Stella, using the CyberTech palette. This is what the 2600 would produce if it could. I tried taking photos of my system in action, but my photos are crap so I had to use the snapshot. But it looks identical to my 2600 w/RGB outputs on a 29" CRT.

So yeah, turn down the color on your TV and adjust the tint to try to match this snapshot. You probably can't make it exact, but should be able to come close on a heavy sixer.

-Chris

• 2 weeks later...

I have a Sears 4-switch and an Atari light sixer which both suffer from the washout exactly as shown in the picture above. I'd really like to correct this but I'm not an electronics guru. I possess the ability to solder but I'm no electrical engineer.

If I post a picture of the motherboards could you highlight the resistor I need to change?

Perhaps post a link to possible replacement resistors?

Sorry to sound like such a noob but I'll be the first to admit I don't know jack about how electronics work.

-Trem

Here's a scan of the bottom of a Rev 16 board that I just added a 680 ohm resistor to between TIA pins 6 and 9. Definitely worth the price of the resistor in picture improvement via a LE 2.2b av mod using s-video.

I have a Sears 4-switch and an Atari light sixer which both suffer from the washout exactly as shown in the picture above. I'd really like to correct this but I'm not an electronics guru. I possess the ability to solder but I'm no electrical engineer.

If I post a picture of the motherboards could you highlight the resistor I need to change?

Sorry to sound like such a noob but I'll be the first to admit I don't know jack about how electronics work.

-Trem

post-8083-1241221741_thumb.jpg

Here's a scan of the bottom of a Rev 16 board that I just added a 680 ohm resistor to between TIA pins 6 and 9. Definitely worth the price of the resistor in picture improvement via a LE 2.2b av mod using s-video.

-Trem

Thanks LJ! That's exactly what I was looking for!

Now if I only knew which resistors to try... ;)

Edited by tremoloman2006

Thanks for the information! I'm definitely going to give this a try!

Most of my 2600s are washed out and require me to crank the color level to its maximum just to make it half decent. I'll do a before & after pic with my Vader system I'm going to try this with shortly.

I'd rather be oversaturated rather then under. :)

Edited by tremoloman2006