IGNORED

The "I got my Skunkboard!" Thread

Hyper_Eye

Ah OK, I see I'm going to have to walk a very fine line here... better get back to doing some jag stuff rather than upsetting the locals. See you all next year.

I for one am proud to see diversity reflected among Skunkboards. Your gay Skunkboard is as welcome on this forum as all the others.

(...and sadly Tursi would not allow me to make a run of white Skunks. All the Rev 2s had to be black with white stripes, limiting Skunk diversity. :( )

- KS

:lol: I guess it's true... once you go black...

:lol:

Lancashire - shouldn't you have a red rose on there too?

Yes, good call. Dotdotdot/reboot would appreciate that being from the wrong side of the hills.

Actually, my cart label is a bit of a joke, everyone seems to like to make supercool cases & stickers & I was about to ttempt the same, but Promethea dared me to make a super-B-rated effort. I'll be making a proper label when I get the right kind of inspiration, but I'll be keeping the lions somewhere ;)

In fact though I might just make another case, Mr Morden has managed to case his with only a few tiny holes for the pins on the back, I'm quite jealous! But I do have a can of metallic red paint I could try... :P

Hmm, paint. Good idea. I should have done that.

I still don't have a label for my shell, but plan on coming up with something cool some time soon.

I was going to try and just bore out the inside of the shell where the USB ports are, but not enough to go out the back, but I got impatient and just cut it out. I even had small holes drilled for the jtag header that fit, but alas, laziness got the better of me and from my recent "how lazy are you" quiz on facebook, 32% is just enough to thwart my big plans.

Ah OK, I see I'm going to have to walk a very fine line here... better get back to doing some jag stuff rather than upsetting the locals. See you all next year.

I for one am proud to see diversity reflected among Skunkboards. Your gay Skunkboard is as welcome on this forum as all the others.

(...and sadly Tursi would not allow me to make a run of white Skunks. All the Rev 2s had to be black with white stripes, limiting Skunk diversity. :( )

- KS

Well - are they black with white strips or white with black stripes ;)

- KS

hehehe... I thought it was red you were going for.

That's me, though, the mean lion. ;)

Here's what Mr Morden's Skunkhouse looks like :-)

JagSkunk1.jpg

JagSkunk2.jpg

JagSkunk3.jpg

JagSkunk4.jpg

As you can see, no need to go hacking away at the back of the cart shell and cut a huge square out. Just drill the holes for the pins (They don't even go all the way through, so they are 100% protected) and another for the USB cable at the top, and shave down two of the inside lugs by about 3mm... and it all fits back perfectly snugly. Had this running for several hours last night, it doesnt even get warm. Job done!

Amazing hardware guys, well done!

Now to print out a controversal sticker and put it on the front :)

Here's what Mr Morden's Skunkhouse looks like :-)

JagSkunk1.jpg

JagSkunk2.jpg

JagSkunk3.jpg

JagSkunk4.jpg

As you can see, no need to go hacking away at the back of the cart shell and cut a huge square out. Just drill the holes for the pins (They don't even go all the way through, so they are 100% protected) and another for the USB cable at the top, and shave down two of the inside lugs by about 3mm... and it all fits back perfectly snugly. Had this running for several hours last night, it doesnt even get warm. Job done!

Amazing hardware guys, well done!

Now to print out a controversal sticker and put it on the front :)

Wow, nice job on that one. It's far more elegant than cutting out the back. I did not know and did not check that there was enough room. Looking good. I'm looking forward to that lable also ;-)

Wow, nice job on that one. It's far more elegant than cutting out the back. I did not know and did not check that there was enough room. Looking good. I'm looking forward to that lable also ;-)

I am a little surprised there was enough room -- on the shells I've got the USB-A ports prevent a clean closure of the case.

But as long as you aren't crushing them (risk of short circuit), it's all good!

I am a little surprised there was enough room -- on the shells I've got the USB-A ports prevent a clean closure of the case.

The two side ports are resting on the plastic, but they are not under any pressure at all (there's slight "wiggle room") so it seems to be a really snug fit :)

In case the cart might matter, its a Cybermorph shell. Gotta say the greenscreen skunk bootup is by far a more playable and entertaining game than this thing originally housed :)

I thought he shaved the inside of the cart down a bit to fit the USB ports, but I could be wrong.

As you can see, no need to go hacking away at the back of the cart shell and cut a huge square out. Just drill the holes for the pins

The faq says those pins aren't used other than in the manufacture, so you could possibly snip them off & it'd be a complete case on the outside... if you're feeling brave. Don't try it without checking first, I won't be held responsible! ;)

The faq says those pins aren't used other than in the manufacture, so you could possibly snip them off & it'd be a complete case on the outside... if you're feeling brave. Don't try it without checking first, I won't be held responsible! ;)

Yes, it's very unlikely anything but my private hardware will ever use the 6-pin expansion port! I snipped the pins short on one of mine with cutters. My advice: Wear eye protection if you try that. ;)

- KS

I wouldn't recommend it to anyone who isn't already experienced with a soldering iron, as you could damage the board by overheating it.

And I agree with Tursi : wear eye protection. Those things seem to be designed to jump right into your face when you cut them, regardless of the distance between you and them ;)

• Like 1

I wouldn't recommend it to anyone who isn't already experienced with a soldering iron, as you could damage the board by overheating it.

And I agree with KSkunk : wear eye protection. Those things seem to be designed to jump right into your face when you cut them, regardless of the distance between you and them ;)

Fixed :)

Interesting, I was going to try skimming the inside out on a miller to get it in without cutting out the back but I did not think it would fit, the USB cable which is quite thick around the connector was a particular concern although it may be possible to skim it down a little.

It looks like I will have the get the verniers out again an double check my measurements, I replaced the 6 way header with a 90 degree on myself to try and keep it all inside the case.

I wonder if there are slightly different versions of the case out there and if so how much difference there is between case revisions, perhaps some have a little more room than others. The one I will be using is revision 9.

My Skunkboard cartridge with new label. Label printed on a color laser and covered with packing tape before trimming, to give it that factory label gloss.

Fantastic, Guitarman! Another great label and installation. :)