IGNORED

Bifröst (2600)

s0c7

• 2 weeks later...

I figured the last version would be for the compo. My suggestions was for an extended verion of sorts if you decided to continue and expand. By the way, I LOVE Dungeon and Pirate SE. I really hope the binary for Phantasm gets released someday too. Unfortunately, I'm a broke SOB, who loves the 2600, but can't afford to get real hardware and carts, even though I did at one point.

p.s. why does it depend on the atarivox? Just for the high score?

Edited by Legend

• 2 months later...
  • 9 months later...

For those that don't look at the blogs - This has gone through a few changes since it last appeared in this thread.

- new name

- now uses the driving controller

- there is no victory condition (game goes until Asgard is destroyed)

- bumped up the score/hi to 3 digits

- victory screen now level complete screen

- initial enemy speed slower, enemy speed increases each level

- ODIN!!! (a bit of digitized speech)

You can get the new version from my blog:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/blog/254/entry-7130-but-wheres-the-car/

Edited by s0c7

• 2 weeks later...

- now uses the driving controller

Just curious, why the driving controller instead of the paddle controller? I haven't had a chance to check out the new version yet, so I don't know if it's for gameplay reasons or not, but judging from the last version of Bifrost I played, I think a paddle would work fine.

I also think more people would be likely to have a set of paddles than the driving controller. I think so anyways.

I know I on;y have paddles and no driving controller. A paddle version would be nice.

Just curious, why the driving controller instead of the paddle controller?

Personal preference really. Plus lack of content for the driving controller. Just something else to use it for.

Anyway, in my latest blog you'll find a version that lets you switch between the joystick or driving controller.

Personal preference really. Plus lack of content for the driving controller. Just something else to use it for.

That's understandable. I've never used the driving controller, so I'm not sure how much better it is from the paddles.

Pretty much, never got a driving controller since I couldn't find any other games that used it other than Indy 500, so making another game that uses it does seem like a good idea. That and being broke combined with a somewhat hard time finding one.

Any chance of a paddle version/option?

Glad to see this one still being worked on btw.

Edited by Legend

Fun game. I especially like the "Odin!" yell at the beginning.

I kinda like the original title for the game though since Bifrost is the name of the rainbow bridge where the battle is being taken place and assuming Heimdallr as the hero guarding the bridge. And I think it has a little more character to it.

It would also be cool if there were enemies that also threw projectiles in later waves. I've only made it as far as 147 score so far, so I don't know if those might be there already. I assume the enemies attacking ar the giants, so it would make sense that they threw spears or boulders even.

Keep up the good work.

Still crossing my fingers for eventual paddle support. :)

• 3 months later...

I'm tempted to call this the final version, but for now I'll just call it a release candidate. If you haven't been following my blog, you'll find it to be somewhat different from the last version posted here. Please report any oddness you may come across.

I also finally got around to creating a PAL60 version. Unfortunately, it will never be as colorful as the NTSC version due to the limitations of the palette. If you try it on real hardware and find anything to be too hideous, let me know and I'll see what can be done.

bifrost_doc.txt

Edited by s0c7

Good to see you're still working on this game!

It's been a long learning experience. In many ways I'm more proud of this than anything else I've done (yes, even Dungeon).

I need to play a bit more, so far my best score is just 338...
As author of the game I declare you to be the official World Champion of Bifröst! So, can anybody beat that? Edited by s0c7

• 4 weeks later...

Good to see this game completed - hopefully you will work on Dungeon 2 next?

Haven't decided for sure yet, but may be calling it quits.

I noticed that the scan-line count is not stable - it jumps up to 291/292 lines on the black screen before the game begins.

The speech routine is causing that. I throw a few extra frames of black screen at 262 before anything shows up on the screen to stabilize it out. You don't realize that it has happened on real hardware.

Haven't had a chance to try the latest version yet, but from the descriptions, just wondering why Fenris and the serpent both take the same amount of hits? Shouldn't the last one be harder? The only other thing I would have liked to see was enemies that shoot at you, like throwing spears.

Great game either way.

Hope you don't quit for good. I love your games.

Edited by Legend