IGNORED

oils well conversion?

82atari5200

Don't want to turn this into a flame thread..but the only problem I've ever had with the 5200 controller is the buttons wearing out. I've found that most people who truly hate them usually just never gave them a chance to get used to them. I've been playing pac-man for 21 years now with no problems what so ever. anyways... :)

Don't want to turn this into a flame thread..but the only problem I've ever had with the 5200 controller is the buttons wearing out. I've found that most people who truly hate them usually just never gave them a chance to get used to them. I've been playing pac-man for 21 years now with no problems what so ever. anyways... :)

Ditto on the 5200 controllers. They were(are) highly engineered, expensive, precision built instruments designed for mature computer gamers who took care of their stuff. They just needed to plate the circuits and button contacts with gold(but,more$$) for the longterm. As far as performance--no real problems here...ever. :cool:

As far as porting Oil's Well to the 5200, I'm suprised it hasn't already been done. I'd love to put it on the flash-cart. It would certainly beat having to track down the Colecovision cart, which is pretty flippin' rare. Maybe Classics could.... :ponder:

:pirate:

Ditto on the 5200 controllers. They were(are) highly engineered, expensive, precision built instruments designed for mature computer gamers who took care of their stuff. They just needed to plate the circuits and button contacts with gold(but,more$$) for the longterm. As far as performance--no real problems here...ever. :cool:

As far as porting Oil's Well to the 5200, I'm suprised it hasn't already been done. I'd love to put it on the flash-cart. It would certainly beat having to track down the Colecovision cart, which is pretty flippin' rare. Maybe Classics could.... :ponder:

:pirate:

Double ditto on the controllers. I never heard anyone complain about the controllers back in the 80's, and I knew plenty of people who owned a 5200. Only when I joined AA did I ever hear any complaints about the controllers beyond the fire buttons. It seems like the controllers are an easy target, especially if you're not very good at gaming.

I wish I knew how to convert the A8 games myself. Oils well would have been done a long time ago, as would be half the Atari compute line.

It might be easier to start with the source code from Jack the Digger (jackdig.bas from here). I haven't tried the game, but it looks the same.

I think it would be a lot harder because it is written in BASIC. I would think you would be better off disassembling Oils Well.

Allan

I think it would be a lot harder because it is written in BASIC. I would think you would be better off disassembling Oils Well.

I meant as a starting point for conversion. To convert the BASIC and 6502 routines solely into 6502. However, I admit that I don't know much about the differences between the A8 and 5200 internal architectures.