IGNORED

Looky what I just found amongst my crap...

CPUWIZ

• 2 weeks later...
Why would that mean you can't scan it?

It would completely de-value it, wouldn't it?

Not if it could still be clear what was the original and a repro, such as if you put a huge watermark on each page.

It's just like dumping a prototype, once everyone has access to it and the mystery behind it is gone the value goes down. People like to own mysterious items, these are very mysterious, nobody knows whats in them and the top secret, confidential, etc.. makes it all the more cool. When you own something like this everybody wants to see it, and people want to buy it! Once you scan everything and make it no more mysterious than a Kid Icarus instruction manual, the cash offers will cease, or at least go way down and so will the demand for your awesome top secret treasure :) People will say "Oh I have seen that, here are the scans of it in this topic" etc...

Not trying to discourage him from scanning, just telling it like it is ;)

I'd be curious to find out why Sony went from calling it a playstation (originally) to PS-X, or was it because they associated the name playstation with the on-off and ultimately no deal with nintendo

It was the other way around. ;)

Was the Nintendo ND CD device, nintendo's last attempt at ressurecting the sony deal

Just curios as to why sony were against the snes/sony cd tie up be compatible with the phillips system (seeming as though sony and phillips both worked on developing the CD in the 1st place)

• 2 weeks later...
Was the Nintendo ND CD device, nintendo's last attempt at ressurecting the sony deal

Just curios as to why sony were against the snes/sony cd tie up be compatible with the phillips system (seeming as though sony and phillips both worked on developing the CD in the 1st place)

From what I understand of the situation Sony was going to have control or receive royalties for each game on the CD-Rom system they assisted Nintendo in making, whether it was a Sony game or not, they would still receive money. Nintendo didn't like this and then went with Phillips behind Sony's back and created, or at least announced, another CD-Rom attachment for the SNES. The Phillips version would be compatible with CD-i software and would be controlled by Nintendo (the way they like it). Neither came to market, and as far as I know, the only thing shown was artist conceptual drawings.

• 2 weeks later...
Is the cd rom thingy the proposed sony/nintendo one or just the nintendo one

i believe that if sony/nintendo went ahead with the cd rom thingy, according to those that know, it was going to be called 'sony playstation'....how ironic, eh...

Judging by the date (1993) there's no way that has anything to do with Sony, they'd dropped that back in '91, and by 1993 Sony was on the verge of dropping their original SNES derived "Play Station" in favor of a new, more powerful design. (which eventualy ended up as the PlayStation) I think the final version of the SNES derived console was the "Target Box" PS-X prototype.

This doccument almost definitely refers to the Nintendo-Phillips CD-ROM project, some refrences claim it was to be compatible with the CD-i, but from the specs I've seen it has very little to do with that console.

I do hope this gets scanned or otherwise archived before it's sold, it would be a shame for something like this to just dissapear... :( (even if it was just recorded for preservational purposes as there's no telling what will happen with the new owner, or if it's damaged at some point) I's never really made sense to me whay protos and rare docs like these drop in value after being copied (though often the sale is technically illegal as well, or kind of in a gray area if they haven't been previously released, though often those holding the legal rights won't do anything about it).

If it's the real deal, it shouldn't matter either way, the same for Betas of unreleased games... There's no logical reason the collector value should go down... :roll:

Anyway, here's what I've seen on the Phillips collaberation:

http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=126091

earlynowsnes16bitcdcrop686x916.jpg

early32snescd21524x2032crop668.jpg

egm_snes_cd_article.jpg

Edited by kool kitty89

holy carp! gimme gimme gimme gimme...........I don't wanna be stuck with my crappy Satellaview forever! I wonder if it would be possible to put cdi innards in a Satellaview case then add the disc drive..........

Based on the pres releases form EGM shown above, there's no CDi hardware in the machine whatsoever, no custom 68k (68070) CPU, no added vidio hardware, though the hardware the do list seems a lot more capable in many ways copared to the CDi. (which really wasn't originally intended as a gaming machine, rather a multimedia entertainment system, audio CDs, VCD's -with MPEG decoder- and with games offered in addition to the other features)

Anyway, I don't know if this doccument shows anything different, or simply confirms the above articles, but well see if he decides to release the information.

I'm not sure about Sony's machine, I know it was derived from the SNES hardware, with additional CD drive and decoser, with additional RAM for CD data. I'm not sure if there were other additinal coprocessors though.

CPUWIZ, PS-X manual has information about this device?

img0049qxh.th.jpgimg0050p.th.jpgimg0051ndt.th.jpgimg0047yrh.th.jpg

Or about this card...

dsc02302v.th.jpgdsc02303.th.jpgdsc02304z.th.jpgdsc02305u.th.jpgdsc02306r.th.jpgdsc02307m.th.jpg

LOL, I haven't seen that in ages, that is the very first PlayStation development kit, it's missing the sound hardware (Sony didn't have it ready).

The controller card is for a black external CD-ROM drive.

• 1 month later...

<!--quoteo(post=1746721:date=Sun May 10, 2009 2:07 PM:name=batari)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (batari @ Sun May 10, 2009 2:07 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1746721"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Why would that mean you can't scan it?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It would completely de-value it, wouldn't it?

If you can get a copy of Adobe Professional (hint hint), you can easily add a "COPY" water mark across the pages. And, no one can remove them.