IGNORED

Atari 7800 Game Sales Figures 86-90

Curt Vendel

Thanks Curt.

CX7825 SKY FOX 0 .00 0 .00 0 .00

Thats not in the list of released games for the 7800!

Its a proto :-

http://www.atari7800.org/screenshots/Sky_Foxscreen.htm

To be in the sales list there must have been quite a few knocking around, ready to ship.

EDIT: For proto information

Edited by GroovyBee

Thanks, Curt! Time to have some fun with Excel.

Just looking quickly, it looks like Atari's 7800 "business" in the US was worth over $100 million.

I counted net revenue of $23,965,258.00 in software sales between 1986 and 1990; and $87,695,415.31 in console sales.

Will look at the titles shortly. :-)

Pole Position 2 seems to be the worst selling title of them all. Wow, I wonder why... :roll:

Mitch

And yet every time I buy a 7800 lot from US,Europe or GB I always get 2 copies of PP2 :x

Am I wrong in wondering how there were 3.7 million systems sold, but only 300K Ms. Pac-Man games, the most popular? Only 8% of people who had a system had Ms. Pac-Man? What am I missing here?

Sort of like there are 22 million GameCubes but only 7 million copies of Smash Brothers.

One consideration as well is: how many people bought a 7800 but only had 2600 games on it, due to their relatively higher availability?

I think Mitch's roll eyes were because PP2 was bundled with the 7800 in the US, and those aren't included in the sales figures...?

Exactly. Pole Position 2 was the pack in for every 7800 sold in North America. Why they decided to make it available seperately is beyond me.

Mitch

Exactly. Pole Position 2 was the pack in for every 7800 sold in North America. Why they decided to make it available seperately is beyond me.

I always wondered that too. It's almost like they were made in error ... like the factory manufactured the NTSC version when they were asked to manufacture the PAL version for markets outside North America.

Between '86 and '90 Atari seemed to be releaceing 7800 and 2600 titles simultainously and just brushing up the 7800 ports, a bit like with the 5200 and 7800 between '82 and '84, for that reason Atari could'ent shine over the 2600 and was never as sucsessful, although all this helped the 2600 become a massive sucsess, it did not help Atari as a company, when the 2600 was discounied in 1992, Atari could'ent find it's feat again, and the Jaguar proved to be a faliure, that's just my knowledge, it may be a bit rusty and you have absolutely reason to belive it. The point of this post is to point out that Atari could never go foward after the 2600, unlike say Nintendo with the SNES, Sony with the ps2 and Microsoft with the Xbox 360.

• 1 month later...
Can some kind person post these into a pdf? I would be eternally grateful.

No need. Just extract the files from the *.zip archive, right click on the file, select rename and add a ".txt" (without the quotes) to the end. You should be able to open them by double clicking then.

Brilliant! Thanks.

I never realized how starved the 7800 was for titles in 87 and 88.

On a somewhat related note, is it possible that PPII was manufactured in preparation for a change in the pack-in with the 7800? Surely it must have been at least considered when the library started to grow.

I think Mitch's roll eyes were because PP2 was bundled with the 7800 in the US, and those aren't included in the sales figures...?

Mitch

People loose things.

People loose things.

I hate loose things. I like tight things better.

oops. :ponder:

Also, what's the deal with Ballblazer, Hatrick, and Karateka in 1990? how did they get more returns than sales? And how did Dark Chambers lose money when it sold (however few) units?

Edited by guyjin