IGNORED

Corvus

I can remember my friends dad having one of these (the 5 Meg one I think) when we were kids. Not only were we not allowed to touch it, we weren't allowed to look, breathe, or even think about it. IIRC they were mondo expensive, something like $2000 crazy expensive. I have no idea what he used it for, back then I was all about the games and there were certainly no games on it. :)

The drives are a nice museum piece, but that's a hefty price tag. Still, they'd look pretty nifty right next to your 815's.

Tempest

• Like 1

Congrats great HDDs nice pictures plus the xbox360 on the right :)

Btw, I read on the bid and it's mentioned about mirroring the kard disk to a tape on a VCR. Before I ask about this product and suppose to give a video similar to

anybody knows anything about it?

Congrats - I was really tempted to buy that! ... I'm sure I'll spend the next few years kicking myself...

Interestingly, the very first LAN/Network (if you could stretch the definition and call it that) I worked with was a Corvus. I think we had 6 PC's connected (via ISA cards and a 4 wire cable) to this device (which was a double height version of the ones pictured). 40 megabytes of shared storage! Ooooooo! This would have been sometime in early 1989. It was notoriously flaky, often requiring a reboot of all connected machines, but at the time, incredibly cool! I never realized that they had made a version for the Atari!

• Like 1

Ah, I bet the transfer rate is much, much better than Atari or even PC floppy drives. Don't have any statistics though. The Corvus, you don't see those often for sale. There were other hard-drive options for XL/XEs, but the Corvus is the only one I know of for the 800. Not counting modern arrangements where a PC is connected through SIO2PC cable, etc.

Even though you don't have the backup to VHS tape hardware, you have the two drives so maybe there's a way to backup one to the other.

The Corvus is the ultimate accessory for the 800, I can understand your paying $340 for it.

Ah, I bet the transfer rate is much, much better than Atari or even PC floppy drives. Don't have any statistics though. The Corvus, you don't see those often for sale. There were other hard-drive options for XL/XEs, but the Corvus is the only one I know of for the 800. Not counting modern arrangements where a PC is connected through SIO2PC cable, etc.

Even though you don't have the backup to VHS tape hardware, you have the two drives so maybe there's a way to backup one to the other.

The Corvus is the ultimate accessory for the 800, I can understand your paying $340 for it.

Thanks and every time I think I have bought the ultimate accessory something else comes along.

Thanks and every time I think I have bought the ultimate accessory something else comes along.

Were the Corvus true "Winchester" drives, or something else more like Syquest or Iomega (not necessarily removable, but it's a different technology, IIRC).

Interesting -- what is the transfer rate through the joystick ports? Have you run drac030's RWTEST.COM on it?

-Larry

Were the Corvus true "Winchester" drives, or something else more like Syquest or Iomega (not necessarily removable, but it's a different technology, IIRC).

Interesting -- what is the transfer rate through the joystick ports? Have you run drac030's RWTEST.COM on it?

-Larry

They are standard Winchester Hard drives

• 2 weeks later...

I just finished hooking the working one up (10 meg) and it worked perfectly right out of the box.

Booted the Corvus 2.0d DOS disk and in about 3 seconds I had D1: thru D8: online and ready to go.

Curt tells me there is a OS integrator board that allows direct booting and a lot of other options that don't require a boot disk so I am anxious to get some help there from Curt.

Someone mentioned this was the Holy Grail, I am think of building what I think to be the Holy Grail Atari 800 system,

I have all the components but have never hooked them all together.

My criteria is items you could buy back in the day and hook to the machine:

So my list is:

Atari 800 with

BIT3 Video card

RAMROD OS Card with Omnimon and OSN

ATR8000 with Co-Power88 and drives

Atari 810 with Happy enhancement

Corvus Hard Drive

What have I missed?

So my list is:

Atari 800 with

BIT3 Video card

Corvus Hard Drive

What have I missed?

How about a genuine Axlon 256K board? (Though it's not compatible with BIT3).

BIT3 and a Monkey Wrench II cartridge were my "holy grails". I own neither but I did get to play with a MWII image in a homebrew cartridge.

Congrats on the Corvus. This was so ourageously expensive that I didn't even dream about owning it.

815D I think was my ultimate grail. I decided on the far more obtainable ATR8000 (but not until around 1984).

- Steve Sheppard

• 1 year later...

I just finished hooking the working one up (10 meg) and it worked perfectly right out of the box.

Booted the Corvus 2.0d DOS disk and in about 3 seconds I had D1: thru D8: online and ready to go.

Curt tells me there is a OS integrator board that allows direct booting and a lot of other options that don't require a boot disk so I am anxious to get some help there from Curt.

Someone mentioned this was the Holy Grail, I am think of building what I think to be the Holy Grail Atari 800 system,

So my list is:

Atari 800 with

BIT3 Video card

Corvus Hard Drive

What have I missed?

I just got a Corvus Systems hard disk without any interface for my Atari 800. Any information would be extremely helpful.

Wow, nice kit there, I remember back in the day when the people I worked for were an Atari dealer and I looked at all the wonderful stuff states side that we never got to play with and dribbled at it :)

I also remember the price and how could you not, it was serious money for it all....Sigh....

So my list is:

Atari 800 with

BIT3 Video card

Corvus Hard Drive

What have I missed?

This is very cool. Finally, someone who collects in the same way that I do!

I'm doing essentially exactly the same thing with an Amiga 1000 (expanding with the best/craziest available tech from the early launch period)

The issue I have had is with getting a healthy, working MFM hard drive without breaking the bank. Great to hear one of your drives is still working.

Wow, nice kit there, I remember back in the day when the people I worked for were an Atari dealer and I looked at all the wonderful stuff states side that we never got to play with and dribbled at it :)

I also remember the price and how could you not, it was serious money for it all....Sigh....

I did finally score the Axlon 256K board