IGNORED

Anyone use Gamefly? Should I do it?

Red 5

Here's my theory. I play A LOT of games. From September until Christmas I probably buy at least 10 games for the 360 and Wii. Throw in the good new releases throughout the year and, well, it's a very expensive hobby.

So, for the price of 4 Xbox 360 games, I could get all the games I want (2 at a time) from Gamefly for an entire year.

This seems incredibly logical to me. Probably too good to be true?

My question is, why am I not doing this?

What would stop me:

Not being able to get new releases quickly (within a week).

Always getting scratched or unplayable discs.

Crap service. (Sending wrong games, no mailing envelopes, etc.)

Any help here would be greatly appreciated.

I just started my Gamefly subscription and have only gotten one game so far. Sacred 2. It's a game I wanted to play, and I do like, but wouldn't have paid the asking price for. The games are shipped even better than Netflix. My guess it a DVD costs Netflix a few dollars as opposed to a video game which cost more. The games are shipped in a envelope similar to Netflix, and are in a paper sleeve similar to Netflix but the whole sleeve and game then are put in a heavier cardboard sleeve. Very nice and less chance of damage.

I'm sure, not unlike Netflix if I received a bad copy of a game I could ship it back and request another.

Like I said, I'm pretty new to Gamefly, but I'll give them a positive recommendation based on my experience so far.

I used to do gamefly but their turnaround time was horrid and when I got to the bottom of my list it was taking weeks for games to come. Not enough copies of the type of games I specifically used them for (older rares)

Edited by Reaperman

I've been a member of GameFly for over two years and swear by it!

1) The turnaround time for me (shipping a game back and getting another game shipped to me) is FAST. They use the post offices "Fast Return" system which means the most waiting time I've ever encountered is four days, but in the vast majority of instances is three days.

2) If I decide to keep a game that they have shipped me, the cost is always $20 or more LESS than what the game is new. For example, right now I have Killzone2 and Godfather2..... if I decide to keep either, my price is $35 each, which is $25 less than buying them at the store. And they send me a new case and new instruction manual for free.

3) They guarantee all their games and if you get a bad copy (which has never happened to me), you return it for exchange at their expense.

4) They have special sales and $5 off coupons on a regular basis for members.

GameFly has saved me a TON of money over the years as I no longer spend big $$$$$ on crap games. Rent the game and if you like it, keep it for much less than buying it new. If its crap, return it for another game.

Mendon

I joined last December and it's been awesome. I haven't bought a single game until this month (Tiger 10, The Conduit and Virtua Tennis 2009 made an expensive month). It's saved me a TON of money, and I've gotten to try a lot of games I wouldn't have normally risked cash on. Definitely worth it.

The turnaround time is definitely longer than Netflix (which for us can be 2-3 days), but it hasn't been too bad for me in Orlando - always a week or less. I don't always get the top game on my queue, though, especially if it's a new release. If you really want a new release, I've heard it helps to have ONLY that game on your queue.

In six months I've never gotten a scratched or unplayable disc. No customer service problems.

Edited by BydoEmpire

Turnaround time must depend on where you are.

I too was please by how quickly I received my first game after joining.

I guess I wont know if the turn around is good or bad yet though, since I haven't actually sent a game back and received a new one.

I think my biggest concern is new releases.

When Bioshock 2 and Mass Effect 2 come out this year I don't want to wait 3 weeks after the release date to play it. I can live with a week but longer than that and my head might explode.

Turnaround probably depends on where you are, I live in a hellhole, when itcomes to stores and such, but for mailing, it's perfect, as being in OK, it takes no longer than 3 days to mail standard mail from anywhere, to here. :D

I always thought about it,b but eh...if I wanted to buy the game, what about the box? I'm not a fan of loose discs, do they send boxes should you opt to buy, or do you just have whatever fit in the envelope? If I had a sourse for translucent lime green cases for X-box, that would be cool though maybe...

Turnaround probably depends on where you are, I live in a hellhole, when itcomes to stores and such, but for mailing, it's perfect, as being in OK, it takes no longer than 3 days to mail standard mail from anywhere, to here. :D

I always thought about it,b but eh...if I wanted to buy the game, what about the box? I'm not a fan of loose discs, do they send boxes should you opt to buy, or do you just have whatever fit in the envelope? If I had a sourse for translucent lime green cases for X-box, that would be cool though maybe...

I hear if you opt to buy they send you a brand new case and the manual.

I had Gamefly for a few years and I liked it. If I recall correctly, I originally paid around $15/month for their "2 at a time" deal. When I quit about a year ago, the price had increased to over $26/month and it didn't feel like a good deal anymore. Now it looks like the price dropped to $23/month, so at least that's a little better :)

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I did it...

I bit the bullet and went for a year subscription which is $20.00 cheaper than 4 games. The way I figure it is that I am half way there already. I put Prototype and Call of Juarez 2 in my Queue yesterday and this morning I had notification that the games were on the way.

So far so good.

The real test will come with Arkham Assylum comes out in August. I would like to get it the week it comes out. If I do, I will officially be happy. I have the latest Fight Night and The Conduit (Wii) set up to come next. Two games I would normally ignore that I can now play while waiting for the Arkham Assylum releast date.

I think I may like this... I will update if I have any issues...

The real test will come with Arkham Assylum comes out in August. I would like to get it the week it comes out. If I do, I will officially be happy. I have the latest Fight Night and The Conduit (Wii) set up to come next. Two games I would normally ignore that I can now play while waiting for the Arkham Assylum releast date.

A tip: if you are looking for a particular game, especially a new one that is about to be released in a couple days, ship your games back to GameFly just before the game releases and clear out your Q completely EXCEPT for the game you want.

Since there will now be nothing in your Q except for the game you want and GameFly owes you a game since you've returned your current rental/s, they will ship the brand new release to you.

I've done this several times and always got the game I wanted right away.

Mendon

A tip: if you are looking for a particular game, especially a new one that is about to be released in a couple days, ship your games back to GameFly just before the game releases and clear out your Q completely EXCEPT for the game you want.

Since there will now be nothing in your Q except for the game you want and GameFly owes you a game since you've returned your current rental/s, they will ship the brand new release to you.

I've done this several times and always got the game I wanted right away.

Mendon

Now that's what I wanted to hear!

(See the "head exploding" post above.)

• 3 weeks later...

Wow I just sent Sacred 2 back yesterday and they have already received it and shipped another game from my queue!!

Damn not even Netflix is that quick. (My guess it they have a warehouse hub somewhere in GA)

I'm liking Gamefly a lot therealred5!

Wow I just sent Sacred 2 back yesterday and they have already received it and shipped another game from my queue!!

Damn not even Netflix is that quick. (My guess it they have a warehouse hub somewhere in GA)

They use "Fast Return", Moycon. There is a barcode on the envelope and when you drop the game off at the post office, USPS scans the bar code and the information is transmitted immediately to GameFly. Since your game is now in the postal system, they consider the game returned and immediately process your next game for shipping.

Works very, very well for me!

Mendon

They use "Fast Return", Moycon. There is a barcode on the envelope and when you drop the game off at the post office, USPS scans the bar code and the information is transmitted immediately to GameFly. Since your game is now in the postal system, they consider the game returned and immediately process your next game for shipping.

Works very, very well for me!

Mendon

I didn't have as much luck. Apparently my post office didn't scan the fast return code often, because only 1/5 games worked that way. Sadly, it got worse and for the last year I had Gamefly my returned games were never fast returns. Just adds more to the "post office are idiots" story queue...

I'm using and loving Netflix, but haven't tried GameFly. The reason being, I just don't think it'd pay off for me in the long run. Yes, when there's a bunch of new games out, I'd like the chance to try them, but there are many months were there's no games that interest me, or I haven't the time to play the games that do interest me. So, that monthly fee would go to waste... and if I add up all the wasted monthly fees, I could probably outright BUY a game I like.

Plus, I don't like the idea of paying $40 a month for both Netflix AND GameFly. It'd be great to have a monthly service where you could alternate between movies AND games. I think I'd pay up to about $25 a month for that.

Totally in love with it so far.

Played Prototype, Call of Juarez and am playing Little King's story now.

had it for less than a month.

Got King's Story 3 days after it was released.

The big test will be Arkham Assylum. If I get that the same week, I am officially in love.

They use FastScan for me as well. Little King was shipped before Prototype got back.

One more game and I will have made back my money for the year and I am still in month 1.

• 1 month later...

An update...

This is the best thing I have ever done.

Since starting in July I have rented:

Prototype

Call of Juarez

Little King

Batman Arkham Assylum

Guitar Hero 5

The last two games on the list on got on a Wednesday. For those keeping score at home, that is the VERY NEXT DAY after these games came out.

GH5 shipped Monday and I was playing it yesterday.

Retail for July and August would have cost me about $290.00. (Granted, I probably would not have bought Prototype). For 1 year, my 3 game rental fee is already more than covered and I have 10 months to go.

I heart gamefly.

so far... ;)

This is the best thing I have ever done.
Agreed. I'm not big on monthly subscriptions, but I've definitely gotten my money's worth out of GF. Even for games like DS Dungeon Explorer. I wanted to try it, and I could buy it for $20, but just checking it out for a week or two was enough. I just don't have time to finish a lot of games these days, so being able to at least try them for a little while is great.

• 6 months later...

So here is an update... GameFly is amazing.

I have had absolutely no issues whatsoever. I have been using it for 9 months now and have nothing but praise. As long as you set your game queue right, you will get a new release 2 or 3 days after it comes out without fail. I have never missed a new release.

Just set up your queue so that there is nothing else listed but the game you want. It is okay to have future release items. Since I don't play older games this is never an issue for me. I set all the games I want to play for the next three months or so and it runs itself. Just make sure you have a slot open or send a game back to open a slot about a week before the new release.

They use tracking numbers too. If they receive a tracking number that the game was shipped back, it instantly opens a slot in your queue. Usually the day I ship a game back it is listed as returned. If not the same day, the next day for sure.

I get new releases two or three days after they come out and that is the only drawback. On the three game plan. I paid for a year in full and that is the price of 4 new games. Also, keep in mind that the new releases I am getting are brand new. Other than Uncharted 2, all the games I rented have been brand new so I can't speak to what kind of condition the used games are in.

I've played 22 games over the last 9 months. Retail price would have been about $1,300.00 and I still have 3 months to go before I equal a full year. I do not own stock in the company and they aren't paying me or anything, but how are people NOT doing this? I even play games I would have probably skipped out on like Bayonetta, Alien vs. Predator and Darksiders.

Since I started in July, I have rented, played and beaten the following games: (I didn't beat Bayonetta or Aleins v. Predator because I just couldn't get into them. I tried, but wasn't impressed. The rest I played completely through.) I also purchased Super Mario Bros. Wii because I knew my son would play for many moons and didn't want to use up a slot.

Battlefield Bad Company 2

God of War 3

Uncharted 2

Heavy Rain

Alien v. Predator

Bioshock 2

Mass Effect 2

Bayonetta

Darksiders

Assassin's Creed 2

Left for Dead 2

Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2