IGNORED

SID2TIA driver ported to bB

batari

Here is a driver written in bB that can play music generated from SID2TIA in your bB programs. Make sure you include all of the relevant parts of the attached .bas file (that is, all of it except for the stuff in vblank, which is just intended to display something on the screen while trying out your music files.)

One issue is that SID2TIA produces an output file (tsmsong.h) with a hard-coded ORG, so I hex-edited SID2TIA.EXE to comment out this line because it doesn't work with bB (and a hard-coded ORG is too limiting, anyway.)

The original SID2TIA can be found here.

You must also use the attached music.h as the original format didn't work with bB (another hard-coded ORG.) The version I am attaching will work with bB and is also reverse-compatible with assembly programs requiring the old music.h.

tsm2.zip

Edited by batari

Wow. Freakin awesome. Thanks!

What do I use to compile or whatever now? I've been using "dasm tsm2.s -f3 -ofilename.bin", but unsure what to do here..

Just create the tsmsong.h file using SID2TIA and build the tsm2.bas with bB.

Or, take the contents of tsm2.bas and integrate it into your bB game :) you need everything but the vblank stuff.

Oh.. *smacks forehead* duh.

I'll try it out shortly.

So, if knows where to correctly put the music if I create it with bB?

If I stick it in myself, can I stick it anywhere?

For example, my current game was 8K, but I ran into some space issues so I had to bump it to 16k, which leaves bank 3 completely empty. Bank 1 has 183 bytes, bank 2 has 1849 but the game isn't finished so I need more stuff to go here, and the last bank bB stores stuff in so it only has 1433 bytes left.

Oh.. *smacks forehead* duh.

I'll try it out shortly.

So, if knows where to correctly put the music if I create it with bB?

If I stick it in myself, can I stick it anywhere?

For example, my current game was 8K, but I ran into some space issues so I had to bump it to 16k, which leaves bank 3 completely empty. Bank 1 has 183 bytes, bank 2 has 1849 but the game isn't finished so I need more stuff to go here, and the last bank bB stores stuff in so it only has 1433 bytes left.

Yes, you can put it anywhere, provided some conditions are met.

The following should go at or near the beginning of your code (at a minimum):

include music.h
 set smartbranching on
 dim tempoCount=a
 const songendlo=<.songend
 const songendhi=>.songend
 dim soundPointerlo=soundPointer
 dim soundPointerhi=soundPointer+1

In the above example, one variable is dimmed as "a" but it could be any free variable you have.

The rest of the code below all needs to go in the same bank, but it can go in any bank.

This code initializes the music to the beginning. Do not call it every frame but only at the beginning of your program or at the end of your music so it will repeat. Keep the lines exactly as they appear below, except you may change the variable used for sdata (the example below uses "b" but note that sdata will also use the next variable "c.")

rem THE FOLLOWING LINES MUST NOT BE BROKEN UP
 sdata soundPointer=b
end
 goto songend
 inline tsmsong.h
songend
 rem END OF UNBROKEN LINES

rem this is to get past the goto songend and trick the sdata statement
 rem to point to the music file
 temp1=sread(soundPointer)

This code must be called in every frame you want music:

tempoCount=tempoCount+1
 temp1=tempoCount^#TEMPODELAY
 if temp1<>0 then musicdone
 tempoCount=temp1

temp1=getsound(0)
 temp1=getsound(1)
 rem return value is of no consequence
musicdone

This is a check to see if the music is done. In tsm2.bas, it jumps to the sdata statement above so it can repeat your music. It could also be used to stop the music.)

if soundPointerlo=songendlo && soundPointerhi=songendhi then restartmusic

The functions and data statements below must be placed in the same bank (change audvol if you wish the volume to be less than 15.) In a bankswitched game, I'd recommend using "return thisbank" below.

function getsound
 temp2=sread(soundPointer)
 if temp2=0 then AUDV0[temp1]=0:goto silence
 AUDF0[temp1]=temp2
 temp2=temp2/32
 AUDC0[temp1]=soundTypeArray[temp2]
 AUDV0[temp1]=audvol[temp1]
silence
 return

data soundTypeArray
end

data audvol
end

I'm trying it now for the first time and can't get anything to compile. Well, actually compilation completes.. just doesn't do anything.

I am using vBB.

I copied the new music.h to the includes directory. Not sure where to put my tsmsong.h file, so I put it in the includes directory and also the directory where I store the games I made.

I copied tsm2.bas into the directory where I store the games I made.

I set the romsize to 4k and get this:

DASM V2.20.07, Macro Assembler (C)1988-2003
  bytes of ROM space left
  -205 bytes of ROM space left
2600basic_variable_redefs.h (14): error: EQU: Value mismatch.
old value: $000f  new value: $0012
segment:  ff9c					vs current org: 10069
tsm2.bas.asm (2251): error: Origin Reverse-indexed.
Aborting assembly
Errors were encountered during assembly.
2600 Basic compilation completed.
Compilation completed at 7/2/2009 12:24:22 PM
view output file:///C:/atari2600/bB/bin

If I set the romsize to 8k I get this:

bytes of ROM space left in bank 1
  bytes of ROM space left in bank 2
  976 bytes of ROM space left in bank 1
  2714 bytes of ROM space left in bank 2
--- Unresolved Symbol List
SAW_F3				   0000 ????		 (R )
SAW_F4				   0000 ????		 (R )
SAW_F5				   0000 ????		 (R )
SQUARE_D5_2			  0000 ????		 (R )
LEAD_E3_2				0000 ????		 (R )
LEAD_A4				  0000 ????		 (R )
LEAD_E4				  0000 ????		 (R )
LEAD_D4				  0000 ????		 (R )
SQUARE_Cw5_1			 0000 ????		 (R )
SAW_Aw3				  0000 ????		 (R )
SAW_Gw4				  0000 ????		 (R )
LEAD_Fw3_1			   0000 ????		 (R )
LEAD_Aw4				 0000 ????		 (R )
LEAD_Fw4				 0000 ????		 (R )
LEAD_Dw4				 0000 ????		 (R )
COMPILE_VERSION		  0000 ????			 
SILENT				   0000 ????		 (R )
SQUARE_Fw5			   0000 ????		 (R )
SQUARE_Dw5			   0000 ????		 (R )
SQUARE_C5				0000 ????		 (R )
NTSC					 0000 ????		 (R )

Fatal assembly error: Source is not resolvable.
Compilation completed at 7/2/2009 12:26:46 PM

The song in question works fine when I compile with normal SID2TIA and I played it.

Edited by yuppicide

I'm trying it now for the first time and can't get anything to compile. Well, actually compilation completes.. just doesn't do anything.

I am using vBB.

I copied the new music.h to the includes directory. Not sure where to put my tsmsong.h file, so I put it in the includes directory and also the directory where I store the games I made.

I copied tsm2.bas into the directory where I store the games I made.

I set the romsize to 4k and get this:

bytes of ROM space left
2600basic_variable_redefs.h (14): error: EQU: Value mismatch.
old value: $000f  new value: $0012
segment:  ff9c					vs current org: 10069
tsm2.bas.asm (2251): error: Origin Reverse-indexed.
Aborting assembly
Compilation completed at 7/2/2009 12:24:22 PM

This means that your tsmsong.h is too large to fit into 4k with the kernel and driver. SID2TIA thinks it has around 3.5k and it does when using the tsm2.s assembly file, but it does not have that much space in a 4k bB game.

To reduce the song size, you might try increasing the value in the "Resolution" box to something like 4 or 8. Apparently with 4, you get up to 2 minutes of playback and 8 should give you 4 minutes. You may lose some accuracy in the song but often you don't.

Regardless, I expect that it should work in the first bank of an 8k game. I believe your problem with 8k is that your "include music.h" is not in the first line of code and is being ignored.

One issue is that SID2TIA produces an output file (tsmsong.h) with a hard-coded ORG, so I hex-edited SID2TIA.EXE to comment out this line because it doesn't work with bB (and a hard-coded ORG is too limiting, anyway.)

You're absolutely right. Here's an updated SID2TIA 1.6.3 package where I moved the ORG from the tool into the driver :)

sid2tia.zip

SID2TIA thinks it has around 3.5k and it does when using the tsm2.s assembly file, but it does not have that much space in a 4k bB game.

Here's an updated SID2TIA 1.6.4 package where I removed the write protection from the "Frames" edit control when generating TSM2 output. It still defaults and resets to 3.5K though :)

sid2tia.zip

The song I have is not that long.

Moving the set romsize 8k made the program compile just fine, but I get no sound totally though now though. Just a black screen.

Where am I supposed to put tsmsong.h file?

I've included my two files here..

The vblank statement needs to go in the last bank.

It is. I removed all the stuff in it so it's just

vblank
return thisbank

I just wanna go your demo program working before I go messing with my real program.

Moving the set romsize 8k made the program compile just fine, but I get no sound totally though now though. Just a black screen.

Edited by yuppicide

It is. I removed all the stuff in it so it's just

vblank
return thisbank

I just wanna go your demo program working before I go messing with my real program.

Actually, it isn't unless you place "bank 2" before it. Either do that or remove vblank altogether.

I do have bank 2 in my code. You said that one part of the codes needs to come in the beginning and the rest can all go in another bank if I wanted.. so I moved it all to bank 2.

Oh, I see it now. The code doesn't necessarily have to be contiguous, but everything before vblank does need to be in the same bank.

I put this in bank 1:

include music.h
 set smartbranching on
 dim tempoCount=a

Everything else in bank2. That's how it would be in my real game also, except everything else in bank 3.

I do have bank 2 in my code. You said that one part of the codes needs to come in the beginning and the rest can all go in another bank if I wanted.. so I moved it all to bank 2.

Oh, I see it now. The code doesn't necessarily have to be contiguous, but everything before vblank does need to be in the same bank.

I put this in bank 1:

include music.h
 set smartbranching on
 dim tempoCount=a

Everything else in bank2. That's how it would be in my real game also, except everything else in bank 3.

Unfortunately that won't work. You need to put the code to read the music in the same bank as the music itself. If the code to read it is in another bank than your game code, you will need to access music with an inter-bank goto or gosub once per frame.

But that code below in bank 1 doesn't read anything.. it just includes music.h and dims things.

I can't stick that stuff in bank 3 can I? I don't think so..

I put this in bank 1:

include music.h
 set smartbranching on
 dim tempoCount=a

Unfortunately that won't work. You need to put the code to read the music in the same bank as the music itself. If the code to read it is in another bank than your game code, you will need to access music with an inter-bank goto or gosub once per frame.

But that code below in bank 1 doesn't read anything.. it just includes music.h and dims things.

I see tsmsong.h in there as well as the dims. tsmsong.h is the music data which needs to be in the same bank as the code that reads it.

Here is something that should compile:

tsm2.bas

Edited by batari