IGNORED

My Xbox 360 may never die

If heat is what kills the Xbox 360, mine may never die. Besides being a Jasper made in 2009, it's sitting on a small upside-down wire basket and there is a window air conditioner that is constantly blowing cold air on it from behind.

post-13-1246886709.jpg

Random Terrain

I Resurrected a 360 from death and I know mine will not red ring by time I am done with it.

I installed a 60mm fan on the GPU heatsink blowing on it, and a 40mm fan on the CPU heatsink attached directly to it, sucking out.

My heatsinks will never go past the point of where the heatsinks are past luke warm.

Oh, the 360 I am talking about is a release day 360.

I'd still be careful doing things like leaving it on overnight, but it might not hurt it if its in a cool spot.

Supposedly its the heat cycles that kill the solder and eventually cause the RROD, so you might actually be preventing it by not letting it cool off and heat up so much.

Edited by Atariboy

Yeah, now watch it die from condensation :P

The wire is a good Idea though, mines on a stand to keep it cool

Also thought about an Intercooler, but people say they kill the system? How? It's just a fan (unless you put it on the wrong vent and it keeps hot air from getting out or something)

Also thought about an Intercooler, but people say they kill the system? How? It's just a fan (unless you put it on the wrong vent and it keeps hot air from getting out or something)

Its not the fans that cause it, its the piss poor quality of the pass through connector that goes into the 360.

XD That's hilarious 128byes

post-4191-1246916004_thumb.jpg

I think there are some that use a outside power source now.

It depends on who you ask what the problems are for the device. Obviously the early versions of it had the issue the above picture shows.

Other people have concerns about the electrical load it places on the 360 by having to constantly be powering it, some also claim it creates a vacuum effect by pulling more air out of the console than the vents allow in (And less cooling as a result), and some worry that it causes the internal fans to run faster than they're designed to withstand.

Anyways, like I said, it appears it isn't so much the overheating that does 360's in as it is the heat cycles, so with all the doubt surrounding the Intercooler and similar devices, it doesn't seem worth the bother. At best it has limited usefulness, and if you believe everything that is out there about them, they're just as likely to kill your console as they are to lengthen it's lifespan.

Edited by Atariboy

Just so folks know, they did redesign the Intercooler pass through to correct the problem with it shorting out, however it seems to me that while in place the fans suck out air from the holes in the 360 that usually suck air in from the outside. (Or at least when you hold up a piece of paper to those holes it sticks) Seems like you wouldn't want to suck out if it normally sucks in would you?

...it's sitting on a small upside-down wire basket and there is a window air conditioner that is constantly blowing cold air on it from behind.

Murphy has a sense of humour, you know. You've significantly increased the likelyhood of a death by air-conditioning condensation or from a fall from a small upside-down wire backet.

Double points if you slip on the condensation and knock it off the basket. ;)

...it's sitting on a small upside-down wire basket and there is a window air conditioner that is constantly blowing cold air on it from behind.

Murphy has a sense of humour, you know. You've significantly increased the likelyhood of a death by air-conditioning condensation or from a fall from a small upside-down wire backet.

The basket is about the same size as the Xbox 360 and the air conditioner isn't exactly blowing on it, it's blowing over it. The only thing that is damp is my butt crack from siting around playing too much Xbox. :P :D

:lolblue:

The only thing that is damp is my butt crack

Did anyone ever tell you that you tend to share very personal information to much? :ponder: :P

Its not the fans that cause it, its the piss poor quality of the pass through connector that goes into the 360.

XD That's hilarious 128byes

Uh...

Just so folks know, they did redesign the Intercooler pass through to correct the problem with it shorting out, however it seems to me that while in place the fans suck out air from the holes in the 360 that usually suck air in from the outside. (Or at least when you hold up a piece of paper to those holes it sticks) Seems like you wouldn't want to suck out if it normally sucks in would you?

Ok, I was goinng to say that the ones I saw in the store just hooked up with a walwart. If they really do blow into holes the Xbox blows out of, that kinda sucks, er...blows. Maybe I'll just get some 2" case fans and make my own solution to put in my stand :D

Oh, and LOL at that second picture (the deadring X-box :P )

Your cursed now RT, it's a sure thing now :P we even got proof :lol:

And UPS's, nice, I need to get on (I keep intending to) I hate when the power flicks, the lights don't even blink (though the clock sometimes does) and it always gives the RROD, useually just short of finishing an epic battle that took you hours to do :x

Edited by Video

Oh yeah, speaking of power, since it's near my computer, my Xbox 360 is also plugged into my uninterruptible power supply. That should help protect it when the power flicks off and on.

That's good. Most modern hi tech equipment should be plugged into a good UPS. Protects not just against power interruption, but spikes, line noise, sags, etc.

Oh yeah, speaking of power, since it's near my computer, my Xbox 360 is also plugged into my uninterruptible power supply. That should help protect it when the power flicks off and on.

That's good. Most modern hi tech equipment should be plugged into a good UPS. Protects not just against power interruption, but spikes, line noise, sags, etc.

Of which, the 360 seems to be one of the most pickey eaters (lol, figure atively speaking) that I have ever seen. And while I haven't had everything, I have had a huge range of stuff.

If they really do blow into holes the Xbox blows out of, that kinda sucks, er...blows.

Actually I also had one of those units that the 360 sits on vertically. It might have been that one that worked against the normal flow. I know one of the two did.

July 24th, 2010. That's the day your 360 is going to die. Anyone else want to make a guess? Please dig up this thread and let us know when it happens to see who was right. You can't call down voodoo like that on yourself and expect it to be okay.

Edited by Atarifever

July 24th, 2010. That's the day your 360 is going to die. Anyone else want to make a guess? Please dig up this thread and let us know when it happens to see who was right. You can't call down voodoo like that on yourself and expect it to be okay.

But I'm safe because I said "my Xbox 360 may never die" instead of "my Xbox 360 will never die."

I predict that it will still be working up to the moment in 2012 when the earth blows up. :D