IGNORED

HSC 6 Contest 14: Millipede

JellE

Contest ends Friday, July 17, 2009 at 11:30 pm EDT.

Millipede

8-BIT HIGH SCORE CLUB SEASON 6
Contest 14: Millipede Ends: 11:30 PM EDT Friday 07/17/2009
Player Place Score Points
darthkur 1st 358,092 12
atariksi 2nd 345,548 11
roadrunner 3rd 338,749 10
SeaGtGruff 4th 322,331 9
dodgers 5th 314,749 8
therealbountybob 6th 308,967 7
poobah 7th 284,377 6
a8isa1 8th 252,899 5
chuckwalla 9th 233,326 4
Divya16 10th 229,918 3
Shannon HM/P 217,832 1
MaPa HM/P 166,213 1
mimo HM/P 138,923 1
Goochman HM/P 128,315 1
NML32 HM/P 115,579 1
spookt HM/P 94,440 1
doctorclu HM/P 84,130 1
bluecat HM/P 76,087 1
Trooper HM/P 74,482 1

HM/P

HM/P

HM/P

HM/P

HM/P

HM/P

HM/P

HM/P
Edited by JellE

can anyone confirm if this works with a track-ball?

I can only get it to work with the TB in Joystick mode, and control is tooooooooooo slow. In TB mode the cursor just goes to the right and is pretty much unplayable

can anyone confirm if this works with a track-ball?

I can only get it to work with the TB in Joystick mode, and control is tooooooooooo slow. In TB mode the cursor just goes to the right and is pretty much unplayable

Hi mimo, I'm 99.9% sure it does work in TB mode as I remember it being much more playable :cool: Will dig my TB out of the cupboard tomorrow night!

Edited by therealbountybob

Jeeze Louise, I was playing the prototype! :dunce: I;ve switched to the commercial release. Also, I dug up my unopened cartridge and opened it. Hmm, you can't increase the bonus interval. Doesn't the 2600 version have extra lives every 15000 points, or 12000 points, instead of every 10000 points?

Michael

post-7456-1246940701_thumb.png

post-10357-1246980848_thumb.png

Jeeze Louise, I was playing the prototype!

Michael

I was too before the above posted game. I looked on Atarimania for verification. The commercial release is the one dated 1984 with the proto being 1983. I thought that the swarm boards were too chaotic with the graphics jumping all over.

anyone got an atr/xex of the '84 version?

The only ones that I can find are all dated 1983!

Maybe I will have to breakout the flashcart

Atarimania has .ROM files for both the 1983 prototype and the 1984 commercial release.

Sorry to hog up the thread so far with all my scores, but as you can see, I love this game! I have the 8-bit version on cart, but had never played it before (the box still had the original plastic wrap around it!). I usually play the 2600 version, which I actually prefer because it seems so much more frantic, even if the graphics are more primitive. The 8-bit version almost seems to start out in slow-motion, but gradually builds up speed, and is no pushover!

The biggest problem I'm having right now is finding a decent controller to use with the emulator. The mouse kind of stinks, because the slightest bump moves the player and cause it to collide with a bug. The keyboard seems to give more precise control, but is generally a pain, especially moving downward. I prefer a joystick-- never got used to the trak ball, although I did buy an expensive one for my PC, to use with the arcade version that's on an Atari 25th Anniversary CD. I tried the PC trak ball but it didn't work with the emulator, despite something in the help file that seemed to suggest it might ("using a PC joystick"-- okay, not a trak ball, but same concept, right?). I'll have to try using a PC joystick, or using an Atari joystick with the Stelladaptor.

One super nice thing about playing this on an emulator is being able to pause the game at the toucj of a button, for those all-important breaks-- smoking a cigarette, grabbing another beer, or running to the bathroom! :roll: (Yes, I'm a bad person, I still smoke cigarettes.)

Michael

We have been busy ;)

OK I only have the 1983 version too on an old DOS menu disk (and the .PL site has this ver also)... I guess this will have to do if no-one has the official version in file or ATR format? It seems hard enough to me so I can't believe there is any advantage!

Levels - I vote we should all start on 000000 (though could have a just for fun sub-contest to see how far we can get)

Mimo - As for the trackball, you were right, it is in joystick mode; but this seems great to play to me :)

If anyone wants a trackball there is one on ebay right now link here about 9 quid all in.

SeeGtGruff, nice score :)

Trooper, c'mon ;)

oh yes and my go 179,229 am going to try and limit myself to 1 game per day :D

p.s. Can anyone stop me from going for the hat-trick :?: :evil:

post-19705-1246998576.jpg

74482. I have, and always will, hate this game with a passion! :)

When Centipede came out at the arcades, I thought it looked cool, but I was afraid to try to play it. (I thought arcade games were quarter-suckers, and the really good arcade games were evil quarter-suckers! :)) When the 2600 version came out, I bought it and played the heck out of it.

Likewise, when Millipede came out at the arcades, I thought it looked even more quarter-sucking demonic than Centipede. When the 2600 version came out, I bought it but thought it was much more difficult than Centipede. But I kept at it, and gradually got to where I absolutely love it. I play it dangerously, as if there's no way I could get clobbered by the bugs, and I don't even care if that tactic causes me to lose all my lives in the first two minutes; I just start over again. And it's amazing how you can zip over to blast a lady bug (or beetle, whatever) just before it hits the bottom and starts crawling across the screen, or do a little flip and jump over a bug just as it's about to collide with you. I mean, sometimes you make a move that's so cool, you wish you were recording it so you can watch it again in slow-motion. I figure I could score a lot higher if I were to play more defensively, but I just love playing it dangerously. :)

I have a few general tips, although I'm not sure how useful they are. ;)

1. Don't focus too much on what you're doing or what's going on-- instead, just sort of let go of your focus a bit, so you can be more aware of all the stuff going on peripherally.

2. Try to clear the millipedes as quickly as you can, because they get harder to kill off if you wait too long and more pieces start coming out, plus you want to try to get to the next swarm as soon as possible, because

3. it's the insect swarms where you can really rack up a lot of points.

4. I like to stay at the very bootom of the screen as much as possible. I'll move up a bit to hop over a bug, but generally speaking I find it easier to maneuver along the bottom.

5. I also like to keep the bottom area (with the lighter background) as clear of mushrooms as possible. Yes, it means that the other bugs will come falling or zig-zagging down the screen to plant more mushrooms, but I like to shoot them. And it's easier to avoid the millipedes in the bottom part of the screen if they can move all the way left and right without running into a mushroom and changing direction suddenly.

6. Once you get up into the higher levels, and things really start hopping, you might want to hang out in one of the corners as much as possible. I like the bottom right corner, but you might prefer the bottom left corner; I don't know if one is safer than the other. Then you can blast away at the bugs, zap the beetles or lady bugs as they're coming down the side, lady bugs coming from the other side will almost always go up again before they go all the way to the other side of the screen (so you're basically safe from them), and you can hop over the little millipede pieces when they get too close.

Michael

PS -- 7. Get the inch worms as often as you can, to slow the bugs down so you can go after them before they speed back up again.

Edited by SeaGtGruff