IGNORED

Lemmings

atari2600land

I'm in the process of buying a copy, and am wondering what to expect. Is it a good game? I really don't want to sit through a whole lengthy review. Also, why is it so rare? (I am always curious as to the reasons a certain game is rare.)

Apparently, the majority of the copies somehow ended up in the Netherlands, so it became the only country in the world to buy Lynx Lemmings at a reasonable price. Check ebay.nl or visit the Dutch web shops.

Thorsten

Edited by Thorsten Günther

To answer your first question - It is an awesome game!. My favorite Lynx game yet.

As to rarity, who knows? I got mine off Ebay and thought it was resonable. Beware jokers on Ebay that say everything is "rare". Scan the completed items to see what something generally goes for and buy it if it is worth it to you. Be patient. This stuff has been around for 20 years. And beside what we might think-there is not a lot of demand.

You can always try it out in emulation.

It is rare, expect to pay anywhere from 50 to 80 bucks, depending on completeness.

It is the best console version of the game. When you choose your Lemming the game pauses, which makes up for the lack of a mouse. From what I can tell all the maps are exactly the same as the original. Reminded me of when I was 13 playing the original on my 386 with a VGA monitor ooooh!

Apparently, the majority of the copies somehow ended up in the Netherlands, so it became the only country in the world to buy Lynx Lemmings at a reasonable price. Check ebay.nl or visit the Dutch web shops.

Thorsten

Awesome version of the game, I have two copies, complete with manual and box (bought one when it came out and my wife also had one). Might be true about the Netherlands...I've seen a lot of copies here and most aren't that expensive...though most ones I've seen were cartridge only.

Lemmings is a good game. That said, about every other version should be superior to the Lynx-version. The low resolution does not help with a game like this, where you want to have a good overview over the levels.

Well they arn't

and it dosn't harm the game at all.

Judging by everyone else's comments they seem to agree with me that it is the finest console version :D

I also found out that it is easy to "cheat" in the Lynx Lemmings. If you press pause then the action freezes and you can place the cursor exactly where you want. Pressing pause again continues the action. This helps a LOT at later levels.

-

karri

By saying "should" that infers you have not played it ;)

Judging by everyone else's comments they seem to agree with me that it is the finest console version :D

I have played it, only via Handy though.

And calling this the best console-version of the game is one of the most ridiculously biased things I have ever had the pleasure to read in the world wide web. Anyone who is not an Atari FANATIC would prefer the Mega Drive version anyday, and probaly SMS- and GameGear-versions as well.

I love the Lynx, but Lemmings is just a pretty sad port.

Lemmings is a good game. That said, about every other version should be superior to the Lynx-version. The low resolution does not help with a game like this, where you want to have a good overview over the levels.

??? have you played this game on your Lynx? Its far from low resolution. It looks amazing, and the detail is perfect, even on the Lynx lcd. Play the original cart on an actual Lynx...

Edited by Horst

And calling this the best console-version of the game is one of the most ridiculously biased things I have ever had the pleasure to read in the world wide web. Anyone who is not an Atari FANATIC would prefer the Mega Drive version anyday, and probaly SMS- and GameGear-versions as well.

Playing it on Handy and playing it on a real Lynx are two totally different things. Try playing it on a real Lynx and you'll probably come away with a totally different perspective. I had played it on Handy before I had actually owned a copy of the game, and IMO it feels more natural on a real Lynx. And I have to totally agree with the comments above that it's one of the best console ports ever.

Yes, I think it's amazing have well this porting to the Lynx is made. The music, the graphics, the levels. It's all there. Nothing is missing.

And about the playability. Several people said it already, but I also want to underline this. You might think the graphics are to tiny and it's hard to overview what's going on on a small "low resolution" screen, but no, it really works great!

By saying "should" that infers you have not played it ;)

The GG/SMS versions blow (slow and much worse graphics, flickery sprites, poor sound) and the Megadrive version is probably on a par.

This is my favourite game on the Lynx.

When you complete the game you get the following message

"a little message from the programmer.

enjoy your lynx. it is the best of all of the hand held portable machines. only with your support can we produce software for this lovely little piece of

hardware with a goal keeping the machine alive and kicking.

well i may not have plans to do anything in the immediate future on the lynx, but if it is still around in a few years maybe I'll do lemmings ii on it.

then again maybe not i suppose i would have to be mad to attempt it but then again anyone who attempts a major programming feat using a 6502 must be mad but don't forget the lovely hardware this little machine can do more to the display than an amiga can thanks to rj mical and his team for being insane enough to design such a nice piece of hardware and having the foresight to produce their development software on the amiga maybe it's because they

had something to do with that as well?

bye...

| Ken Sumrall"

Shame we never saw Lemmings II.