IGNORED

CTetris4d Release - Pre-final Version

atx4us

* CTetris4d by Hayden Doan - July 15, 2009 *

(Pre-final Version)

What's New in CTetris4d:

INTRODUCTION:

In CTetris4d, I'm going back to the basic concept that CTetris4 was originally founded on - high game-playing quality. With that in mind, I brought back the new "classic" play screen and greatly improved the joystick interface. The level-based movement delay has been replaced by an ultra responsive & high precision single-shot joystick action. The keyboard controls have also benefitted from the new control algorithms.

I have a few more new features that I would like to incorporate in the next and final version of CTetris4. However, it will be a while before I can complete the next version due to limited time availability. Therefore, I want to release what I have so far so that everyone can enjoy this pre-final version.

Notes (for CONTROLS):

1) Joystick controls now are single-shot action.

2) All user selections are now activated upon the release of actuation to improve accuracy.

EMULATOR NOTES (Atari800Win PLus 4.0): [Reminder]

I noticed that the included color palettes for the A8WP Emulator seem to be inaccurate. I posted this question on AtariAge and CharlieChaplin (Andreas Koch) replied with some new palette files. I tried the "OlivierN.ACT" (N=NTSC) palette file and the colors seem to be much more accurate now. I recommend that you also give this new palette a try. Thanks, Andreas.

Have Fun!

Hayden

CTetris4d.zip

Good Ideal with using GTIA 10 mode. I experimented with a Tetris using Turbobasic GTIA 10 mode, but never got the game play just right. Plus having TB in memory ate up lots of space and I couldn't do stuff like music. I had given thought about using APAC mode for Tetris/Columns type games. It would be all machine language. There would be just enough time during the VBI to move the shapes and run RMT music routine.

EMULATOR NOTES (Atari800Win PLus 4.0): [Reminder]

Nice version! I noticed an annoying high pitched tone during the main music though. Perhaps an emulation issue?

Rick James's Super Freak sounded right though after I completed four full lines at once. Nice touch ;)

Cool. Needs auto-repeat on the L/R movement, though.

It's not a game unless it uses 160*200 and builds graphics using 4*8 char-type blocks. It's just an illusion (like a mirage) making it appear like a game that's playable.

By "auto-repeat" you mean when you keep key pressed it repeats the keystroke?

I believe the score board should be on top and in Graphics 1 or 2 since user is scanning screen mostly on top half of screen. Perhaps some imagery in the background or some pattern so it's not a blank. Now if you really want to improve the aesthetics, put border around the piece falling with sprite overlay (for resolution enhancement) and C64 users may think it's a 160*200 game.

I'd like to see Columns for A8 - one of the few games I ever played on the PC.
Can be found here (or on AtariMania/Fandal). I never got around to adding music/fx though :(

If anyone would like the sources then I can add them to the thread.

Very nice game!

You should open a thread here!

--------------- OT ON ---------------

I'd like to see Columns for A8 - one of the few games I ever played on the PC.
Can be found here (or on AtariMania/Fandal). I never got around to adding music/fx though :(

If anyone would like the sources then I can add them to the thread.

@Wrathchild: Just wanted to say: WOW!

Here another Columns for A8: Chromatics by KE Soft

------------- OT OFF ---------------

Colours looks real nice in PAL mode - anyway to play it with the keyboard in Emulator?

Chro Ma Tics looks nice too but the diagonals don't work - you can play it with the keyboard.

If you use atari800win+ simply set joy to numpad or arrow keys + right control key and you can play with keys...

Nice game. I even like the music and it's really oldskool sounding. :)

Any ideas to fill the screen on left and right from the playfield (maybe some graffiti-alike logo or something)? It looks "empty" a bit now...

Keep good work!

Greetings

miker

Nice work Hayden. The tapping is quite good for accurate controlling but gets a little difficult to quickly move a piece across quickly enough when you are higher up especialy on higher levels, so maybe the auto-repeat left/right would be better. I like the blank background. Colours are ok on my UK tv, maybe the red could be a shade darker?!. I like the 'can't touch this' - could this be LOUDER? maybe you could you add another sound and bonus for two consecutive 4 in a rows! I'd still like a hard drop by just pulling down so I guess a screen with various preferences is the way forward to keep more people happy :ponder:

Edited by therealbountybob

Nice work Hayden. The tapping is quite good for accurate controlling but gets a little difficult to quickly move a piece across quickly enough when you are higher up especialy on higher levels, so maybe the auto-repeat left/right would be better. I like the blank background. Colours are ok on my UK tv, maybe the red could be a shade darker?!. I like the 'can't touch this' - could this be LOUDER? maybe you could you add another sound and bonus for two consecutive 4 in a rows! I'd still like a hard drop by just pulling down so I guess a screen with various preferences is the way forward to keep more people happy :ponder:

I also think default controls should be hard drop by just pulling down. But the blank background should have picture of BountyBob like in your avatar, no?

Please look for Ctetris4(e) in this thread [above] for Auto-Repeat. The Red color is very touchy and hard to look right depending on your display device/monitor. "U Can't Touch This" can be louder but then it'll be too loud if you're hooked up to bigger speakers. I think a preference screen is needed now for these various parameters.

I've seen requests for a pictured background. Can anyone help me create a Tetris themed background in GTIA 10?

Please look for Ctetris4(e) in this thread [above] for Auto-Repeat. The Red color is very touchy and hard to look right depending on your display device/monitor. "U Can't Touch This" can be louder but then it'll be too loud if you're hooked up to bigger speakers. I think a preference screen is needed now for these various parameters.

I've seen requests for a pictured background. Can anyone help me create a Tetris themed background in GTIA 10?

Hey Atariksi that's not such a crazy idea (for a change ;) ), maybe each level could pay homage to famous 8-bit characters?! (I'll still prefer the blank screen). It's a standing joke with my nephews that the Atari can't do red i.e. it's always a shade of bbrown, so I call it "Atari Red" in my efforts :D Will check out 4e... several weeks later v4z and the perfect Tetris :ponder:

• 1 year later...