IGNORED

Albert's New Forum To Do List

Albert

Here is a list of issues related to the forum upgrade that need to be addressed:

Stuff to Fix:

- Add "My Posts" back to forum Done, I hope.

- Indefinite editing in selected forums (like Marketplace) Done

- Add back ability for admins/mods to grant ability to edit specific posts Done

- Add ability to select which forums appear in "View New Content" query - Waiting on original mod author to update for 3.0 software - Yay Finally!

- Fix YouTube bbcode (there is a new 'media' bbcode--please use that for any embedded video/audio in the future)

- Fix length of shortened URLs to more closely match original forum

- Rebuild post content to fix bbcodes Finished. FINALLY.

- Remove "All New Content" tab for "View New Content" (not sure why it's there) and move "Help Files" tab to end Done

Skin issues:

- When editing a post in place and saving, post is not properly re-rendered. fixed

- Match font sizes more closely to previous forum skin still some tweaking to do here

- Fix usernames wrapping in posts

- Add "Go to first unread post" back to "View New Content" / Search queries. Set title to link back to first post in thread as before.

- Fix rendering issues in Opera

- Display "Custom Status" above avatar Fixed. Serious pain in the ass.

- Fix missing icons in Tracker

- Investigate horizontal scrollbar in IE7 in AtariAge skin

- Speed up Lightbox display done

- Fix "Time Now" in forum footer fixed

Suggestions:

- Add "Mark all Blogs as read" link

I will add to this list as more issues come up.

..Al

Everything works fine as far as I can tell.

What I do not like is the "bloated" look. Everything seems larger and less stylish than it was before, somewhat bulky. I will get used to the design, but the "waste" of space is a bit annoying on smaller screens like my netbook.

Maybe it's my settings, but I've noticed a couple of annoyances...

1. "You have nn Unread Messages" - having that appear on every page was nice.

2. For some reason I noticed Quotes not being seperated and boxed properly at times. Didn't seem to make any difference what browser I used.

Edited by Rybags

1. Quick Reply not there.

A "Fast Reply" box should be visible at the bottom of the page when viewing a topic or personal messenger conversation.

2. "You have nn Unread Messages" - having that appear on every page was nice.

When you have unread personal messages, a number will appear over your profile photo displayed in the top right corner of the page. This is visible on every page of the forum.

3. For some reason I noticed Quotes not being seperated and boxed properly at times. Didn't seem to make any difference what browser I used.

Post content is being rebuilt to fix this issue. It's a slow process and should be done by midday tomorrow (Thursday).

..Al

What I do not like is the "bloated" look. Everything seems larger and less stylish than it was before, somewhat bulky. I will get used to the design, but the "waste" of space is a bit annoying on smaller screens like my netbook.

I'm using my MacBook right now and it's not really significantly different for me compared to the old forum, in terms of layout. Some pages are sloppy right now (like the "View New Content" results) and some of the fonts are larger, but I will adjust the skin over the next week to try and smooth things out. The "waste of space" was actually part of Invision's goals in terms of adding more "white space". I took their default forum skin (which you can see here) and adjusted it to more closely resemble the previous AtariAge forum skin.

..Al

The "waste of space" was actually part of Invision's goals in terms of adding more "white space".

I really hate those "white space" people! :x

It's like making websites like Powerpoint sheets with just two sentences or codeing standards where each { or } has to be on its own line and lot of blank lines everywhere. Thus allowing to see less code on a 22" LCD than before on an ancient 14"..

What do they think? That too much information is overwhelming me or what? If anything is too small or too much, I can use my browser to zoom in. I do not want to be patronized in my free time too, it is getting annoying enough at my job already.

Now I feel better.

BTW: This rant was not targeted at you, Al. :)

Edited by Thomas Jentzsch

I have two issues, and two suggestions.

1) Ability to edit the marketplace threads.

2) Cut and paste in messages... no matter what is highlighted, you cut the whole PM.

I'd love the ability to mark PMs read or unread or flagged so I can follow up later. I'd also like to be able to sort the PMs by "from", not just "to".

You have worked REALLY hard to get this all up and running, take your time. You are appreciated! Thank you Al.

AX

There is a horizontal scrollbar visible below. But there is nothing to scroll to, except for some more white space :)

What page are you seeing this on? What browser are you using? Can you take a screenshot?

Thanks,

..Al

I saw it on IE7. I didn't see it on IE6,IE8,opera,chrome,firefox and safari. It's there on every page.

post-15728-125076307581_thumb.png

I saw it on IE7. I didn't see it on IE6,IE8,opera,chrome,firefox and safari. It's there on every page.

Thanks for the screenshot, I'll investigate. Does this happen on the forum index as well? I have made the default "IP.Board" skin available, which you can select at the bottom-left corner of the page. Can you try that and see if you get the same result?

..Al

Um... Where's the "Mark all posts as read" link which used to be available at the bottom of the forum root page? I'm one of those people who used to click on that link multiple times per day... :)

It's there, it's at the very bottom of every page in gray, labeled "Mark Board As Read". I believe now it actually marks ALL board content (forums, blogs, galleries, etc.) as read, not just forum topics.

..Al

Thanks for the screenshot, I'll investigate. Does this happen on the forum index as well? I have made the default "IP.Board" skin available, which you can select at the bottom-left corner of the page. Can you try that and see if you get the same result?

..Al

It happens on the forum index (http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?act=idx) as well. When I try the other skins, the scrollbar is gone.

It happens on the forum index (http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?act=idx) as well. When I try the other skins, the scrollbar is gone.

That's interesting--if it's only happening with the AtariAge skin, there might be some bad HTML on the page that's only tripping up IE7. I know there have been lots of IE-related bugs (in particular IE7 / IE8 since Invision is ignoring IE6) that continue to be fixed. I'll have to see if I have a copy of IE7 installed in a VM so I can try to duplicate it.

..Al

Is there a thread that accurately describes the icons/legends that proceed/begin each thread on all forums

I've only figured out the two at the mo (pinned and locked), just curious as to what the others meant/refer to

Additionally i notice that in the private message thing, you seem to have clumped together both the sent and received PM's, where as before both sets of private messages were seperated...is that how it will remain, or will you revert back to how it was previously

Is there a thread that accurately describes the icons/legends that proceed/begin each thread on all forums

I've only figured out the two at the mo (pinned and locked), just curious as to what the others meant/refer to

Scroll to the bottom of any given forum page and there is a legend. Those icons are unchanged from the previous forum software.

http://www.atariage.com/forums/forum/7-general-chat/

Additionally i notice that in the private message thing, you seem to have clumped together both the sent and received PM's, where as before both sets of private messages were seperated...is that how it will remain, or will you revert back to how it was previously

This was changed intentionally and is not going to change. If you scroll to the bottom of your Inbox, you'll see a dropdown prefixed with "Show:" You can choose to show "All Conversations", "Conversations Others Started" or "Conversations I Started".

..Al

I have sped up the Lightbox animation to the fastest setting. It's quite fast now. There is an option to remove the animation entirely, but the background then doesn't get rendered properly. Need to investigate that further. Still, the faster animation is a big improvement.

..Al

It's not terribly important but I noticed that the list of active users is no longer alphabetical. :)

Mitch

LOL, I've had to fix that with every new major version of this software. I think they are sorted by "last click", which really isn't terribly useful. I've added that to my skin list (I have a much larger list than I've posted here, after spending about 30 minutes looking at the skin earlier today). Thanks for pointing this out, should be easy to fix.

..Al