IGNORED

How does "Reputation" work?

If you click the green plus sign in the bottom right corner of a post, you are "up voting" that post. The author of the post gets one reputation point for each of his or her posts that are upvoted in such fashion. I have negative voting disabled, since that tends to cause problems. At the bottom of any given thread you can click on the "Change threshold?" link to filter the contents of the thread based on the score of each post. I doubt that will be useful here.

There are some interesting mods people are doing with regards to reputation points and I'm sure Invision will continue to add functionality down the road.

..Al

• Like 17

If you click the green plus sign in the bottom right corner of a post, you are "up voting" that post. The author of the post gets one reputation point for each of his or her posts that are upvoted in such fashion. I have negative voting disabled, since that tends to cause problems. At the bottom of any given thread you can click on the "Change threshold?" link to filter the contents of the thread based on the score of each post. I doubt that will be useful here.

There are some interesting mods people are doing with regards to reputation points and I'm sure Invision will continue to add functionality down the road.

..Al

Thank you very much for the answer. You just got 1 reputation point from me for the help! :D :cool:

• Like 7

This doesn't clarify what exactly "reputation" is and its purpose. What's it used for?

..Al

• Like 3

This doesn't clarify what exactly "reputation" is and its purpose. What's it used for?

Well, as I mentioned above you can filter posters by reputation points if you scroll to the bottom of a thread. It's not something that would be particularly useful for short threads, but could be useful for longer, older threads. Other than that it doesn't really serve any terribly useful purpose at this time. I expect more functionality will be built around the reputation system down the road. For instance, being able to include reputation point criteria when searches for posts or members ("View all members with 1000+ reputation points", "Search for "Quadrun" and only return posts with > 50 rep points", and so forth).

..Al

• Like 3

Is this like 'Whose Line Is It Anyway?" where the points don't matter? :lol:

I just upped everyone who posted in this thread. A million rep points for all! :D

There is a limit on the number of rep points you can dole out per day. I may have it set to 50 right now, but may lower it.

..Al

• Like 3

Bad Reputation

(Jett-Laguna-Cordell-Kupersmith)

I don't give a damn 'bout my reputation

You're living in the past it's a new generation

A girl can do what she wants to do and that's

What I'm gonna do

An' I don't give a damn ' bout my bad reputation

Oh no not me

An' I don't give a damn 'bout my reputation

Never said I wanted to improve my station

An' I'm only doin' good

When I'm havin' fun

An' I don't have to please no one

An' I don't give a damn

'Bout my bad reputation

Oh no, not me

Oh no, not me

I don't give a damn

'Bout my reputation

I've never been afraid of any deviation

An' I don't really care

If ya think I'm strange

I ain't gonna change

An' I'm never gonna care

'Bout my bad reputation

Oh no, not me

Oh no, not me

Pedal boys!

An' I don't give a damn

'Bout my reputation

The world's in trouble

There's no communication

An' everyone can say

What they want to say

It never gets better anyway

So why should I care

'Bout a bad reputation anyway

Oh no, not me

Oh no, not me

I don't give a damn 'bout my bad reputation

You're living in the past

It's a new generation

An' I only feel good

When I got no pain

An' that's how I'm gonna stay

An' I don't give a damn

'Bout my bad reputation

Oh no, not me

Oh no, not

Not me, not me

:D

• Like 7

Thank you for disabling the negatives! I would have been like -1,234 me thinks. (+1 to your rep Al.)

I gave you a couple too homer (for starting the thread.)

The negatives reminds me of trying to get the lowest negative score possible on Halo 2 before the other team one. Negatives would definitely make the AA experience more interesting, but +'s to everyone! Cool!

• Like 3

..."Search for "Quadrun" and only return posts with > 50 rep points"...

That would make sense. Also "Search for "Quadrun" and only return posts of members with > 50 rep points".

Currently the reputation points are pretty "pointless". :D

BTW: The options to filter below 0, -10 and -20 are pointless too. :)

Edited by Thomas Jentzsch
  • Like 3

Currently the reputation points are pretty "pointless". :D

I agree. When more features are added around the reputation system then it'll be more interesting.

BTW: The options to filter below 0, -10 and -20 are pointless too. :)

That is intentional. It's possible you might have had negative reputation points enabled for a while and then disabled them. At that point you'd still likely have many "negative" messages, so the negative options in the drop down would still be useful. Obviously they aren't going to mean much here since negative rep points have never been enabled. :)

..Al

• Like 3

Some with the most Reputation points....does that mean they'll win a free system/game???

That would be neat...If there's a use for the Rep points I suggest the one with the most points gets something free,that would be cool.

That would turn it into a big game to see who could get the most rep points and it would be a mess. I'm not going to be giving away anything based on rep points. :)

..Al

• Like 3

Some with the most Reputation points....does that mean they'll win a free system/game???

That would be neat...If there's a use for the Rep points I suggest the one with the most points gets something free,that would be cool.

That would turn it into a big game to see who could get the most rep points and it would be a mess. I'm not going to be giving away anything based on rep points. :)

..Al

LOL...not even a free AA fridge magnet??? :P

• Like 3

I have negative voting disabled, since that tends to cause problems.

Very wise - I've seen some forums turned into battlegrounds because people want to be mean and 'neg' each other over minor remarks.

Yep. I've noticed at least on youtube people misuse it as an "agree/disagree" button. Say something (not hostile) that more people disagree with and it gets negged away. Very annoying when people do that.

On a computer support forum I used to use a few years ago, they only had upvoting. But even then it was sometimes a little annoying because people would make politically correct, grandstanding responses that didn't help the user's issue presented in a thread. Yet those posts would get lots of votes, especially if it was a popular, high volume user. Further down, somebody would solve it and get 1 vote (probably from the OP).

That stuff doesn't really matter though, unless people start using vote count as a status symbol.

I think a big problem on that forum was that they had a weekly announcement for who the week's favorite poster was. So you can imagine how people would make it their mission in life to maintain that status.

• Like 3

This may not be possible based on the software, but why not offer rewards in the form of animated icons (i.e. rep status symbols) based on the amount of rep points you have? For example, someone with 20 rep points could end up with an animated Space Invader graphic somewhere near his / her post count? It would be cool to have something to strive for! :D

Edited by STGuy1040
  • Like 1

Yep. I've noticed at least on youtube people misuse it as an "agree/disagree" button. Say something (not hostile) that more people disagree with and it gets negged away. Very annoying when people do that.

That's one the crappiest things that YouTube has done. If you don't agree with the rest of the sheep, you get a ton of negatives. "How dare you have an opinion that isn't the same as the rest of us! Thumbs down to you, sir! Thumbs down to you!" If you're not part of the sycophantic circle jerk, you can go straight to hell.

• Like 2

That's one the crappiest things that YouTube has done. If you don't agree with the rest of the sheep, you get a ton of negatives. "How dare you have an opinion that isn't the same as the rest of us! Thumbs down to you, sir! Thumbs down to you!" If you're not part of the sycophantic circle jerk, you can go straight to hell.

One guy had over 60+ negatives for not agreeing with a certain comment, and what he posted was more logical.

It's sad to see popularity win over common sense and free-thinking.

Edited by STGuy1040
  • Like 2

Bad Reputation

(Jett-Laguna-Cordell-Kupersmith)

I don't give a damn 'bout my reputation

You're living in the past it's a new generation

A girl can do what she wants to do and that's

What I'm gonna do

An' I don't give a damn ' bout my bad reputation

Oh no not me

An' I don't give a damn 'bout my reputation

Never said I wanted to improve my station

An' I'm only doin' good

When I'm havin' fun

An' I don't have to please no one

An' I don't give a damn

'Bout my bad reputation

Oh no, not me

Oh no, not me

I don't give a damn

'Bout my reputation

I've never been afraid of any deviation

An' I don't really care

If ya think I'm strange

I ain't gonna change

An' I'm never gonna care

'Bout my bad reputation

Oh no, not me

Oh no, not me

Pedal boys!

An' I don't give a damn

'Bout my reputation

The world's in trouble

There's no communication

An' everyone can say

What they want to say

It never gets better anyway

So why should I care

'Bout a bad reputation anyway

Oh no, not me

Oh no, not me

I don't give a damn 'bout my bad reputation

You're living in the past

It's a new generation

An' I only feel good

When I got no pain

An' that's how I'm gonna stay

An' I don't give a damn

'Bout my bad reputation

Oh no, not me

Oh no, not

Not me, not me

:D

Hey, you beat me to it :D my song quoting is rubbing off around here. :thumbsup:

AX

• Like 2

I am new to this upvoting thing as AA is about the only forum I go to on a regular basis, NintendoAge would be second I guess. As far as a "status symbol" goes, I always thought the little joysticks for how many posts you have has worked well over the years.

Oh yeah, I'm also happy to see the negs are disabled because I too would be hurting there. I have a very good rep for selling/buying but not usually for posting in general although I have tried to be on very good behavior for the last year or so.

;)

• Like 1