IGNORED

Legacy Engineering USB joystick unpacking

orpheuswaking

So after putting the joysticks back together and loading up a few games I find that I really enjoy these sticks. Build quality is good and the stick is very firm not loose or mushy. For what I paid (and disregarding the wait time) I feel I got a GREAT deal and will get much use out both sticks.

The only thing I can say negatively about them is that although the stick itself is very firm the fire button feels mushy and has no tactile response, however this is due to the contacts used which in the long term should last longer than the leaf switch type that will be found in the CX40 retrofit kit Curt is now selling.

Overall on a scale of 1 (bad) - 10 (Excellent) I give these a 9

I want to thank Curt for making these available, and those of you who got upset at the delay I understand your frustration, but honestly I feel these were well worth the wait. Hopefully all orders will soon be completed and more people will give some feedback good or bad.

Edited by orpheuswaking

Excellent! I am also going to take pics when they get here. I'll have to take mine apart on arrival also, disassembly is like an addiction!

Use a good quality proper sized screwdriver, these bad boys are firmly screwed together, don't want to take the chance of stripping the head of the screws.

Great pics Simon, glad to see someone finally posting about their order, enjoy!!!

Curt

After a couple of days use I am still enjoying using these. May have to buy a couple retrofits for existing CX40's and compare them.

Although looking at the picture of the board online I wonder at how it's wired in.

Edited by orpheuswaking

Well, I try to think of things from the end user side as well, and being able to take the handle off and store and carry the controller with you was an important design feature I wanted. The original design which I did on the FB2 sticks has a screw in design, unfortunately people would literally unscrew the sticks as they played. The USB sticks have an improved design called the "lock stick" which locks in and out of place and should work better then the original screw in/out design.

Curt

Another great thing I like about these sticks is that one can easily take them apart for packing into something like a laptop bag. Thanks again Curt!

I had pretty much written off getting my sticks, but these pictures sure have piqued my interest again. I look forward to receiving mine! :)

Well, I try to think of things from the end user side as well, and being able to take the handle off and store and carry the controller with you was an important design feature I wanted. The original design which I did on the FB2 sticks has a screw in design, unfortunately people would literally unscrew the sticks as they played. The USB sticks have an improved design called the "lock stick" which locks in and out of place and should work better then the original screw in/out design.

Curt

Another great thing I like about these sticks is that one can easily take them apart for packing into something like a laptop bag. Thanks again Curt!

The button is the only thing I don't like about the Retro sticks... It is fairly mushy feeling, but I'll get used to it... As for the bases I don't know, I never thought to look at that...

I did go through all my joysticks tonight and realize I have one CX40 that's broken, so I will be ordering a retrofit kit to compare against these :)

The bases are not interchangeable, while the outward appearance is close to the original sticks, inside is a totally different ball game:

1. The originals used a plastic tube with a plastic ring inside to push against contact domes. this was covered with a rubber cover. The rubber tended to pull and twist over the coarse of usage and the ring at the botton of the tube would fatigue and fail.

The Legacy design uses a solid plastic joystick handle that locks into a pivoting contact hub, this hub pushes down against a silicone contact directional pad in 4 directions (8 in diagonal pushes) and pushes the contact pads down.

2. The originals had metal contact domes over copper traces, which over time would fail and didn't make good contact.

The Legacy design uses gold contact points ensuring longer higher quality contacts over time and with less wear as well.

3. Lastly the plastic tops and bottoms are different then the originals both in their internal structure and in the height for each piece - together they equal the height of the original sticks, but each half - top and bottom is actually a much different height from the originals.

4. Lastly - on the buttons. I have not been satisfied with the overall rebound snap of the current fire button silicone, so I spent much of last night in Solidworks designing a new design and I submitted for the silicone parts maker, she is going to run off a proto sample in 5 business days, so by early the week after I should have some new samples and once I get them to be at a point where I feel they significantly improve button feel and performance, I will put them in envelopes and mail free to anyone who is willing to put them upgraded silicone buttons in themselves.

I want people to be happy, if it costs a little bit out of pocket to do that, then in the end I did the right thing for everyone.

Curt

The button is the only thing I don't like about the Retro sticks... It is fairly mushy feeling, but I'll get used to it... As for the bases I don't know, I never thought to look at that...

I did go through all my joysticks tonight and realize I have one CX40 that's broken, so I will be ordering a retrofit kit to compare against these :)

Curt, this is outstanding news. You are working very hard to make a fantastic product.

The bases are not interchangeable, while the outward appearance is close to the original sticks, inside is a totally different ball game:

1. The originals used a plastic tube with a plastic ring inside to push against contact domes. this was covered with a rubber cover. The rubber tended to pull and twist over the coarse of usage and the ring at the botton of the tube would fatigue and fail.

The Legacy design uses a solid plastic joystick handle that locks into a pivoting contact hub, this hub pushes down against a silicone contact directional pad in 4 directions (8 in diagonal pushes) and pushes the contact pads down.

2. The originals had metal contact domes over copper traces, which over time would fail and didn't make good contact.

The Legacy design uses gold contact points ensuring longer higher quality contacts over time and with less wear as well.

3. Lastly the plastic tops and bottoms are different then the originals both in their internal structure and in the height for each piece - together they equal the height of the original sticks, but each half - top and bottom is actually a much different height from the originals.

4. Lastly - on the buttons. I have not been satisfied with the overall rebound snap of the current fire button silicone, so I spent much of last night in Solidworks designing a new design and I submitted for the silicone parts maker, she is going to run off a proto sample in 5 business days, so by early the week after I should have some new samples and once I get them to be at a point where I feel they significantly improve button feel and performance, I will put them in envelopes and mail free to anyone who is willing to put them upgraded silicone buttons in themselves.

I want people to be happy, if it costs a little bit out of pocket to do that, then in the end I did the right thing for everyone.

Curt

Curt

You are a scholar and a gentleman!

I hope you followed the instructions and emailed your full order receipt and your shipping address, once received your order goes on in about a week or less now...

Curt

Living in hope i will get 2 of these one day been ordered and paid for for ages now

Ordered from your web site back in Feb think it was have not had any email