IGNORED

HSC Season 7 Week 2: Crystal Castles

Ze_ro

Important Note: This weeks competition is over and no further scores will be accepted.

Once upon a time, Bentley Bear was rambling through the woods, daydreaming about poached salmon. He stopped to take a nap in his favorite hollow tree trunk. But when he awoke, he found himself inside a huge castle glittering with diamonds, emeralds, and pearls.

Though Bentley didn't know it at the time, he was trapped in Crystal Castles, home of Berthilda the Witch and her evil cronies. To escape their spell, he must harvest the gems in the castles before Berthilda and her malicious gang send him into permanent hibernation.

s_CrystalCastles_3.png

Game Information
  • Game Name: Crystal Castles
  • Released By: Atari, 1987
  • Left Difficulty: B / Novice - Easy Version
  • Right Difficulty: N/A
  • Game Mode: Level 1
  • Chosen By: 4Ks

Post your scores right here in this thread, and I will add them to the list. Remember to play the game with the recommended game mode and difficulty settings as shown above so that your scores will be consistent with everyone elses. The deadline for posting scores is Wednesday September 2nd at 1:00 AM (CST).

Current High Scores
  1. 359,763 (Atardi) [+11]
  2. 150,851 (godzillajoe) [+10]
  3. 129,607 (Vectorman0) [+9]
  4. 124,243 (Deteacher) [+8]
  5. 123,057 (toymailman) [+7]
  6. 118,607 (Zoyx) [+6]
  7. 114,445 (darthkur) [+5]
  8. 113,592 (keilbaca) [+4]
  9. 92,687 (4Ks) [+3]
  10. 89,877 (aftermac) [+2]
  11. 86,204 (ChrisKoopa) [+1]
  12. 76,807 (Shannon) [+1]
  13. 58,887 (LarcenTyler) [+1]
  14. 56,555 (Nathan Strum) [+1]
  15. 54,083 (roadrunner) [+1]
  16. 53,296 (SpiceWare) [+1]
  17. 34,195 (shadow460) [+1]
  18. 32,979 (vjames) [+1]
  19. 18,668 (Captain Beard) [+1]
  20. 4860 (Wickeycolumbus) [+1]

Best Tips
  • godzillajoe [+2]

Challenges
  • None yet

TwinGalaxies Top 3
  1. 860,088 (Todd Rogers)
  2. 362,286 (Brian Gilman)
  3. 135,739 (Stephen R Riesenberger)
(Game 1, Difficulty B)
Current Standings
  1. godzillajoe [12]
  2. Atardi [11]
  3. Deteacher [9]
  4. Captain Beard [8]
  5. Zoyx [7]
  6. Mister VCS [6]
  7. toymailman [5]
  8. darthkur [4]
  9. vjames [3]
  10. sloth713 [2]
  11. SpiceWare [1]
  12. LarcenTyler [1]
  13. aftermac [1]
  14. keilbaca [1]
  15. Vectorman0 [1]
  16. Nathan Strum [1]
  17. Impaler_26 [1]
  18. homerwannabee [1]
  19. shadow460 [1]
  20. Shannon [1]
  21. roadrunner [1]

Scoring Points in Crystal Castles
  • Harvest a Gem - 1 point for the first gem, 2 points for the second gem, and so on up to 99 points per gem
  • Harvest the Last Gem in the Castle - 1000 points for the first castle, increasing 100 points in every castle thereafter
  • Don the Magic Hat - 500 points
  • Eat the honey - 1000 points
  • Crush a Gem Eater - 500 points
  • Smash Berthilda the Witch - 3000 points
  • At every 20,000 points, Bentley wins an extra life.

Hints and Tips
  • If Bentley harvests the last gem in the castles, he wins extra points.
  • Elevators make perfect escape routes. However, they only operate one
    at a time.
  • Bentley is invincible while he's jumping.
  • Bentley can temporarily stun Nasty Trees and Gem Eaters by jumping over them. But this maneuver won't work if he's wearing the magic hat, or while the Gem Eaters are swallowing gems.
  • When floating scores appear on the scene, creatures can't move through them; nor can the creatures move through each other.

It's also worth pointing out that we played this game a few years back. You might want to check it out for further hints.
The Manual
As always, you really should read the manual. In case you don't have the manual, AtariAge has a typed copy available online. Here are the hints it provides:
godzillajoe
Grab the hioney ASAP, keeps the bees away

The enemies are sorta dumb. You can trick them into getting trapped behind a wall if you lure them there and then quickly run away leaving the wall between you and the enemy. They're not smart enough to go around. They will try and go through it.

--Zero

Bah!

I'll never understand why folks love this game so much. It may be a great technical achievement, but I find it impossible to judge where anything is, which is kind of a fun-killer to me.

That said, one of the things I like about HSC is playing games I wouldn't normally, so I sure hope to improve this measly score...

post-10225-125134490232_thumb.jpg

89,234 for a start

But I can beat that

The last time we did this in Season 5 I managed just over 215K

Tips:

Grab the hioney ASAP, keeps the bees away

The enemies are sorta dumb. You can trick them into getting trapped behind a wall if you lure them there and then quickly run away leaving the wall between you and the enemy. They're not smart enough to go around. They will try and go through it.

Edited by godzillajoe

Ok... seriously... this week these 5 digits keep showing up in my scores... Stella just locked up on me and I'm pretty irritated since I was just about to beat my score and I still had 3 lives left, but then I noticed the score: 73,027

post-17553-125151097477_thumb.png

My high Crystal Castles score is: 73,270

My score in Punch Out!! is: 72,730

Any numerologists out there? :ponder: ;) :D

Ok... seriously... this week these 5 digits keep showing up in my scores... Stella just locked up on me and I'm pretty irritated since I was just about to beat my score and I still had 3 lives left, but then I noticed the score: 73,027

Are you running the very latest version of Stella (2.8.4)? There was a fix in the last released version that fixed lockups for many people.

Are you running the very latest version of Stella (2.8.4)? There was a fix in the last released version that fixed lockups for many people.

Admittedly, I'm way behind on Stella updates... I wasn't complaining or anything, just posting about my scoring oddities. :) I will give 2.8.4 a try, I guess I was just patiently waiting for 3.0. :)