IGNORED

New Retro Gamer sub offer for US citizens

Apologies for the nature of this post, but I know a lot of US readers of RG don't like its high price tag.

It's now possible to get a 13 issue subscription for just $80, which is a pretty good deal.

You can get this by going to www.imaginesubs.co.uk?RET and typing in YOUTUBE in big letters.

Edited by Darran@Retro Gamer

Apologies for the nature of this post, but I know a lot of US readers of RG don't like its high price tag.

It's now possible to get a 13 issue subscription for just $80, which is a pretty good deal.

You can get this by going to www.imaginesubs.co.uk?RET and typing in YOUTUBE in big letters.

I try to buy Retro Gamer every month at Barnes & Nobles, but occasionally I miss an issue (as happened just the other month with issue #64), and subscribing would certainly be a lot cheaper. Thanks for the message!

Michael

Unless I am doing something wrong it is 80 British Pounds and not 80 US Dollars. That is a still more then it is worth to get it earlier then B&N.

Apologies, it appears that it's still showing £80 (i'd imagine that they've put £80 instead of $80).

I'm on holiday, but have notified the subs department. Oh and you should get your issues sent immediately.

Unless I am doing something wrong it is 80 British Pounds and not 80 US Dollars. That is a still more then it is worth to get it earlier then B&N.

Apologies, it appears that it's still showing £80 (i'd imagine that they've put £80 instead of $80).

I'm on holiday, but have notified the subs department. Oh and you should get your issues sent immediately.

I will check back after a few days. If it is $80 then it is a steal.

I was wondering about that, but the other countries are either 70 pounds or 80 pounds, so I figured it must be pounds. That comes out to about $10 an issue (or about $130 for 13 issues), which is still cheaper than buying it at Barnes & Noble.

Michael

Can you explain what you mean by this? Type in YOUTUBE in big letters... where? Thank you!

Michael

hmmm, I don't seem to be able to edit my original post

anyway

the actual link is

www.imaginesubs.co.uk/RET

you'll then be asked to submit a code

the code is

YOUTUBE

once you've done this you'll be giving payment options etc

Can you explain what you mean by this? Type in YOUTUBE in big letters... where? Thank you!

Michael

hmmm, I don't seem to be able to edit my original post

anyway

the actual link is

www.imaginesubs.co.uk/RET

you'll then be asked to submit a code

the code is

YOUTUBE

once you've done this you'll be giving payment options etc

Thanks! That's what was wrong, why everyone was seeing 80 pounds instead of 50 pounds. I've just subscribed, woo-hoo! :)

Michael

This is changing though and if you read my last link, you'll see that our subs manager is going to be rectifying it very soon.

Mea culpa, I hadn't read the whole thing.

I'm a Brit, but I have a cousin in Canada who shares his expensive magazine with several friends, so they're pretty interested in this.

Thanks!

I have a question...

Isn't this the same magazine that had a retrospective on the metal slug series, and when the writer was called out on it on neogeo.com, proceeded to whine, bitch, attack people's opinions, and generally act like a child because he didnt want to admit his mistakes?

Here's the incident I speak of

I dunno, thats the feeling that i got :roll:

I have a question...

Isn't this the same magazine that had a retrospective on the metal slug series, and when the writer was called out on it on neogeo.com, proceeded to whine, bitch, attack people's opinions, and generally act like a child because he didnt want to admit his mistakes?

Here's the incident I speak of

I dunno, thats the feeling that i got :roll:

Unfortunately, that's been a common problem in the magazine since even before Darran took over. The fact checking on some of the articles has been less then stellar, including in those written by the staff themselves. At the same time I am certainly appreciative of the amount of work that goes in to producing a magazine with the sizeable amount of content they have every issue. That's the conundrum though - you certainly want to support it, but the errors can be extremely frustrating. I find myself looking at every issue for what people got wrong as much as I look for new and interesting content. (New and interesting for me is usually in relation to the UK video game and computers industry, which of course never received coverage here).

A perfect example of being frustrated is the Amiga retrospective in the same issue as the Metal Slug series article. Lots of good info, pictures, etc., yet almost the entire section of the article on Amiga's dealings with Atari, save for like one sentence, is wrong. It almost reads like it was haphazardly pulled in from several different sources mixed with the author's confusion on which Atari they are talking about.

Edited by wgungfu

• 1 month later...

Just wanted to say, I got the first issue of my new Retro Gamer subscription the other day. It's issue number 69. I still need to go to Barnes & Noble this month to buy issue number 68. (I was in around the beginning of the month and they still had issue number 67, which I'd already bought a few weeks before.) So it looks like if you get a subscription, you'll get the issues about a month before you'd be able to buy them at Barnes & Noble. :)

Michael

Edited by SeaGtGruff

I saw this at a Barnes and Noble... looked like a pretty good magazine, although the price was waaaaaay too high and there was more coverage of the ZX Spectrum than I would have preferred (any coverage is too much). I have been meaning to bug the editors about covering my GameBoy Advance port of GORF in the magazine, but their admission that they don't like "games like Space Invaders and Galaxian" makes it very unlikely that they'd consider it.

EDIT: Oh man, Stuart Campbell. That guy's a real piece of work. His effete mannerisms and narcissism nearly border on James Bond villain territory. I bet he has a massive velvet chair and a Persian cat he strokes as he contemplates new schemes for world domination.

Edited by Jess Ragan