IGNORED

Penguin Land (ColecoVision) PRE-ORDER

retroillucid

I'm happy to annouce that we'll publish Penguin Land for ColecoVision!

This SG-1000 port was made by Steve Begin back in 2003 and release on cartridge only form in

very limited quantities. Many fans miss this wonderfull game as well as Lode Runner (wich we'll release too ;))

Here's your chance to get a Limited Edition Cyan Cartridge of this SG-1000 Classic!

This game will come Complete in a Box with a nice manual

We'll ship all paid orders at the begining of October

If you're interested to get a copy of this gem, Send me an email or PM

post-11933-125192990209_thumb.png

post-11933-125192991466_thumb.png

post-11933-125192992174_thumb.png

post-11933-125192992895_thumb.png

I can't awnser it yet, if there's more than 100 users who want to buy it, I should make

a Black Cartidge Edition... but I really can't confirmed it yet... sorry

There will be 100 Cyan Cartridge Shells for this Edition

It's more sky blue than cyan, really. :)

Perhaps people here would like to know the incredible story that eventually led to this re-release of Penguin Land. It all started in late 2005, when I met Steve Bégin at the Arcadia Festival in Montreal. He told me he had one last copy of Penguin Land and Lode Runner that he could sell me, and we concluded the transaction by e-mail soon after. After testing my cart purchases, I was so impressed with Penguin Land that I decided to make a custom box for it. I actually learned how to use Adobe Illustrator while working on that custom box project, which took several months to reach completion.

I gave the source material to Marc Oberhäuser so he could print a few boxes for me. I glued one box for myself, one for Daniel Bienvenu, and just before Christmas 2007, I also sent a copy of the box to Steve Bégin. Strangely enough, I never received any reply from Steve, not even a quick thank you...

... That is, until a year and a half later! In spring 2009, I finally received a thank-you note from Steve. It seemed the last e-mail I sent him back in January 2008 got lost among a ton of spam in his inbox, and he had just noticed it. I told him that I found it regrettable that more copies of Penguin Land couldn't be produced, and that I would be glad to publish a new run, with box and manual. To my surprise, Steve said he wanted that to happen! One thing led to another, and now CollectorVision will soon be releasing Penguin Land! As retroillucid mentionned, Lode Runner will be next, probably late this year or early next year.

All this to say that the Penguin Land box art (and cart label art) you see in the photos above came from my original custom box. :)

I can't awnser it yet, if there's more than 100 users who want to buy it, I should make

a Black Cartidge Edition... but I really can't confirmed it yet... sorry

There will be 100 Cyan Cartridge Shells for this Edition

It's more sky blue than cyan, really. :)

Perhaps people here would like to know the incredible story that eventually led to this re-release of Penguin Land. It all started in late 2005, when I met Steve Bégin at the Arcadia Festival in Montreal. He told me he had one last copy of Penguin Land and Lode Runner that he could sell me, and we concluded the transaction by e-mail soon after. After testing my cart purchases, I was so impressed with Penguin Land that I decided to make a custom box for it. I actually learned how to use Adobe Illustrator while working on that custom box project, which took several months to reach completion.

I gave the source material to Marc Oberhäuser so he could print a few boxes for me. I glued one box for myself, one for Daniel Bienvenu, and just before Christmas 2007, I also sent a copy of the box to Steve Bégin. Strangely enough, I never received any reply from Steve, not even a quick thank you...

... That is, until a year and a half later! In spring 2009, I finally received a thank-you note from Steve. It seemed the last e-mail I sent him back in January 2008 got lost among a ton of spam in his inbox, and he had just noticed it. I told him that I found it regrettable that more copies of Penguin Land couldn't be produced, and that I would be glad to publish a new run, with box and manual. To my surprise, Steve said he wanted that to happen! One thing led to another, and now CollectorVision will soon be releasing Penguin Land! As retroillucid mentionned, Lode Runner will be next, probably late this year or early next year.

All this to say that the Penguin Land box art (and cart label art) you see in the photos above came from my original custom box. :)

Yep true, Thanks to Luc for making all this happen! ;)

I've played the SG-1000 version via emulation, and it's a nifty game! I wish I had a CV, as I'd love to have a copy of this. It's great to see more SG-1000 ports available for the CV.

An interesting note for those who, like me, try this game out via emulation: a walkthrough at GameFAQs says that the common ROM dump of Penguin Land for the SG-1000 is corrupt on Levels 12-13 and 22-24. I assume that's not the case in this version, and that Steve based his port on a clean dump (or one of his own). My copy is clean, so I'm not sure what happens in the corrupt version...

Edited by thegoldenband

An interesting note for those who, like me, try this game out via emulation: a walkthrough at GameFAQs says that the common ROM dump of Penguin Land for the SG-1000 is corrupt on Levels 12-13 and 22-24. I assume that's not the case in this version, and that Steve based his port on a clean dump (or one of his own). My copy is clean, so I'm not sure what happens in the corrupt version...

We reported this issue to Steve, and he rechecked his port of the game. He found no problem, so his original SG-1000 dump must have been clean.

add me to the list too. I hope Steve starts programming games for the ColecoVision again. I was very very lucky to get a copy of Penguin Land and Lode Runner from him a few years back.

Agreed! Perhaps this will give Steve the boost he needs to make more games for the Colecovision!

Hopefully, Steve will eventually complete his work on

. If he does, it's already a done deal that CollectorVision will publish it. :)

I just want to ask : This looks fantastic, how many different colors of cartridges do you have?

I had a few colors made last spring:

- Sky Blue (will be used for Penguin Land)

- Green (will be used for Lode Runner)

- Red (will be used for Mario Bros)

- Navy blue (with Opcode logo, will be handed over to Eduardo in October, may be used for Arkanoid later)

- Gold (will probably be used for one of my future projects, namely Quest For The Golden Chalice)

- Transparent (not sure what I'm going to do with it just yet)

Look at my "Interest check in CV casings" thread (under Homebrew Discussions) for pictures of all those colors. :)

Hopefully, Steve will eventually complete his work on

. If he does, it's already a done deal that CollectorVision will publish it. :)

Yep! , That's true! :cool:

This look to be a must have for any Colecovision fans!

Very promising actually...

Back to topic,

Penguin Land cartridge are really Sky-Blue as Pixelboy mentionned

The artworks look very nice indeed!

I'm very proud to publish Steve's games! :D

Note that there's a manual for this game (as all of our release) this is the only thing that miss to release this game ;)

* Already 25 names on the Penguin Land Reservation list so far