IGNORED

Is anyone going to be getting the New Super Mario Bros. Wii?

imac4567

Are you getting the New Super Mario Bros. Wii  

31 members have voted

1. 1. Are you going to buy the New SMB?

• Yes, 3D Super Mario Bros. ACTION!!
    • Naaa, I'm broke
    • NO, not a chance

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

Nintendo needs to code a SuperNES Mario game and release it for the Virtual Console. That would get my $$$.

As for New SMB Wii, eh, I don't know. The DS Mario was a bit too easy and I'm not sure how I feel about the 3D rendered characters. They cheapen the visuals somewhat, IMO. Give me hand-drawn sprites that have been painstakingly animated and I'll be all over it. I'll even take cell-shaded Mario as a compromise.

No way. And I'll be ignoring SMG 2 as well.

Not a Mario fan?

Not much of a J'n'R fan. And I've already played plenty of SMB and SMG before.

I love the Mario RPGs though, if it helps :)

I've been meaning to play the SM RPG games. They look like fun.

I'll be grabbing NSMB Wii for sure. I loved the DS NSMB.

• 1 month later...

Im pretty excited for New Super Bros.

Cell shaded with smaller character models would have been better.. or like said, well drawn sprites..

I am hoping that it is a whole hell of a lot longer and at least somewhat harder than NSMB DS.

From the videos i'd say it stands a chance though.

I put $10 down on it, i'll be putting $10 more on it this week, so when it comes out i'll dish out $28.

IGN AU reviews NSMBW and they like it a lot:

Whether or not this is the best Mario game to date is purely a matter of personal tastes; it's certainly the most humble on outward appearances. The red game case – a bold and loud statement of fun – is the first indicator that there's something special under the hood in this one. Still sorting the men from the boys after 20 years, Mario and Luigi's new adventure is not important because it's the continuation of a franchise we know and love – rather, it's because New Super Mario Bros. Wii demonstrates one more time why Nintendo are masters of the all-ages gaming market; relevant and refreshing but at all times reverent and above all, incredible fun.

9.2/10

Another early review, from NowGamer. The liked it...a little:

Ultimately, your enjoyment here is going to be determined by the reason you choose to purchase it. If you just miss those classic 2D Mario antics, you’re going to be pleased as punch. If on the other hand you’re hankering after a way to enjoy Mario with friends, you’d best be prepared to relinquish a few relationships.

They give it 7.7/10

Blogcritics has a "first look" pre-review up:

In brief – we're excited, very excited. It's a 2D side-scroller version of Mario made for today and a home console. It features good graphics, classic-sounding Mario music, and one Princess Peach who has been kidnapped by the those troublesome Koopalings.

It looks really good, I'm looking forward to it.

Only thing I'm not impressed about is the music. Always loved the music in this series, but I can't get into the direction they've taken it with NSMB DS/Wii and it really detracted from my enjoyment of the DS title.

I suspect the reason we have two Toad's is because people have come to expect for Peach to be able to float and they wanted the characters to all perform identically.

Hope the difficulty is increased. Getting every coin in the DS title was extremely easy and a far cry from just beating past Mario sidescrollers like SMB3.

Edit - Plus, since the princess has been kidnapped, who else would they have put in for the 4 player mode? Yoshi? Then they'd of had people complain that he couldn't swallow stuff if they wanted each character to perform the same.

Edited by Atariboy

Edit - Plus, since the princess has been kidnapped, who else would they have put in for the 4 player mode? Yoshi? Then they'd of had people complain that he couldn't swallow stuff if they wanted each character to perform the same.

Yeah, but there's got to be somebody; they have 20 years and ~100 games worth of Mario history to draw on here. I was just playing MK Double Dash the other day, that has 20 playable characters. Yoshi? Daisy? Wario? Diddy Kong? Donkey Kong?