IGNORED

Atari Albums: Missile Command and Yars' Revenge

jaybird3rd

As discussed in this thread, one of the tracks from the Atari Yars' Revenge promotional album (published by Kid Stuff Records & Tapes in 1982) recently appeared on YouTube. This reminded me that I had both the original Yars' Revenge LP and the Missile Command LP in my collection. Since I couldn't find the full albums in MP3 format, I decided to dig out my turntable and scanner and convert them myself.

Out of curiosity, I did a little research into the history of these albums. In addition to Missile Command and Yars' Revenge, there was apparently a Pac-Man album, though I've never seen it myself. They are primarily the work of writer/producer John Braden (now deceased); this blog post (and a comment posted by Braden's sister) provides some information on Braden's life and career. These albums were published by Kid Stuff Records & Tapes, which also published read-along and storybook records during the 1980s (I owned a few of them).

I have posted an archive containing the three tracks from the original Missile Command record album to my website (here is a direct link). I cleaned up the audio and artwork as best I could, and I think it came out pretty well considering that these records are now twenty-seven years old. I will update this post with a link to the Yars' Revenge album as soon as I finish it.

• Like 1

Am I missing something? This blog post seems to be missing a lot of the tracks with only the title tracks and some Asteroids stuff. Is there a link on the blog to others?

EDIT: Ahh, found a link on there! http://www.digitpress.com/dpsoundz/mp3.htm seems to have some more stuff including Super Breakout!

Edited by CebusCapucinis

Wow, I didn't know they did a Super Breakout album too. Interesting. I guess these albums aren't quite as obscure as I thought they were. One thing I do notice is that the cover art on mine is different from the picture on the blog linked above; the "Missile Command" text is black in their picture, but white on the album cover I have.

Speaking of which ... in case anyone would like to have it, here is a JPEG version of the high-resolution scan that I made of the cover (I tagged the MP3 files with a smaller version of this, so the cover art would appear correctly in iTunes). I also cropped out a portion of it to use as desktop wallpaper (1280x1024).

MissileCommandCoverArt.jpg

MissileCommandWallpaper_1280x1024.jpg

Edited by jaybird3rd

I ripped the Super Breakout cassette and scanned the book a long time ago. I'm sure it's still floating around the internets somewhere....

Here, I uploaded it to sharebee.

http://sharebee.com/597b927f

The cassette was ripped to flac. (I know lossless compression is alittle overkill for a cassette)And the book is in a cbz, view with CDisplay or another comic reader, or just rename to zip and extract the jpgs.

http://www.atarimania.com/lst_goodie.php?TYPE_GOODIE_ID=10&MENU=2

All known to exist VCS sound files will soon be available on our database.

8)

Are the actual wav/mp3 files online? All I saw was the pictures, but it is cool to see these. Never even knew about these, much less how many there were.

Why does the Asteroids record have a picture of missile command on the back??

Edited by Shannon