IGNORED

Stelladaptor

gobo

Hi

I've never been able to get the paddles working in the Atari800 emulators (for Windows) using the Stelladaptor. Is there any way to get paddles working as good as it does with the 2600 emulators? I feel like I'm missing something obvious because I can't get them working right with MAME either no matter how I tweak the adjustments.

Thanks for any help!

• 3 months later...

This may not be much help but I found this (text below) indicating the emulator needs a patch for stella to support paddles?

<<<

Any Atari 2600-compatible joystick, when plugged into your computer through the Stelladaptor, will behave as a normal joystick. This allows the use of classic Atari controllers with any software that will work with an 8-direction digital joystick controller (left, right, up, down, and diagonals). In addition to joystick controllers, the Stelladaptor also automatically recognizes the Atari 2600 paddle and driving controllers. To take advantage of these controllers, software running on the host computer (such as emulators or games) must be updated to accurately handle the data being sent by the Stelladaptor.

>>>

Good Luck :)

It IS a little surprising that full Stelladaptor support has not yet been incorporated into any of the atari 8-bit emulators.

Yeah, that would be great! I need to talk to the author of Atari800MacX. :D

..Al

Does that mean there is no paddles patch available for any of the emulators and the statement in the stella text is just wishful thinking :?:

[Edit - I tried paddles with the PPJoy driver and Atari 800 Win+ 4.0 PPNoJoy! well apart from the buttons working!)]

Does that mean there is no paddles patch available for any of the emulators and the statement in the stella text is just wishful thinking :?:

While Atari 2600 emulators have paid attention to the Stelladaptor, I'm not aware of any patches/support for paddles being added to any non-Atari 2600 emulators. I have personally used paddles with MAME a long time ago, but it was hit and miss depending on the game. Not sure if it's any better now. I would hope that adding paddle support to Atari 8-bit emulators would not be overly difficult, I just think nobody's really campaigned emulator authors for it in the past.

That statement you quoted was written quite some time ago. :)

..Al

The Stelladaptor, when you plug in paddles, just appears as an analog joystick controller with one button and one axis. I've used it in xmame and the Linux port of z26 with no patching, it Just Works (and that's in Linux... Windows is supposed to be easier, it should Just Work there, too). It also works fine with a joystick plugged in, without patching the emulators/apps (shows up as a 1-button, 2-axis controller).

The quote about software patches might have been referring to the one special thing the Stelladaptor does for joysticks: on a real Atari stick, it's possible to push all 4 directions at once by pushing the stick straight down (towards the ground). The Stelladaptor handles this by sending something like "halfway to the right, halfway down" (remember, PC joystick axes are analog, even if the actual controller isn't), which an emulator would need to be able to detect if it's going to emulate all 4 directions being pressed (otherwise, it'll act like either right+down, or nothing, depending on where the emulator's threshold is set to).

Also, I haven't tried driving controllers with the Stelladaptor. It might be that software needs patching to work with those...?

• Like 2

• 1 year later...