IGNORED

NTSC test needed

pr0be

Hello

I need to test my multiplexer engine on REAL NTSC machine, unfortunately i don't have one...

Can somebody test this thing on real NTSC atari?

on Atari800Win in NTSC mode seem to work fine, but to be honest i don't trust emulators too much ;)

It works on my 800XL (NTSC), but it doesn't scroll left (if it's suppose to). I was able to shoot a few of the enemies and jump and scroll right. But you need to post a screen shot and description so anyone who tries it can compare with it.

It works on my 800XL (NTSC), but it doesn't scroll left (if it's suppose to). I was able to shoot a few of the enemies and jump and scroll right. But you need to post a screen shot and description so anyone who tries it can compare with it.

if you didn't notice any artifacts or sprite distortion like spliting sprite into two parts (one or more lines of the same sprite are in different X position) that it seems to work fine...

Thanks for help!

Indeed. How does this sprite multiplexing engine work? Very impressive.

basically it's sorts all sprites by their Y-position, then starts from the top to bottom drawing each sprites from sorted list to PMG0-1 (if its free on current charline), if PMG0-1 is already used in current charline, the multiplexer try to draw this sprite to PMG2-3, if both PMG0-1 and PMG2-3 are not free then multiplexer try to figure out which sprite reject in next frame and which sprite to draw (it use priorities to determine sprite rejection)

I was worried that NTSC machine can have problem to change six registers in one scanline, but it's seems to work fine...

Cool stuff! looks like a Contra port on the way? or only a test? ;)

it's another test ;), but I'm very close to finish "universal" 2d game engine, so after that making a 2d game should be very easy ;)

today i started ripping graphics from super mario bros to see how it would look... maybe tommorow I finish it and share results...

@ Pr0be : Don't worry about number of cycles in one scanline : There are 114 (minus refresh & gfx dma) cycles on both PAL / NTSC machines. Also the # of refresh / gfx dma cycles stolen is the same on both video systems.

The bigger problem is the number of scanlines in one frame. On NTSC the vblank period is much shorter, so take care of the sorting routine. It should finish before end of vblank period, or at least before the first sprite is drawn.

Anyway, nice project! Good job. Good luck finishing it.

The bigger problem is the number of scanlines in one frame. On NTSC the vblank period is much shorter, so take care of the sorting routine. It should finish before end of vblank period, or at least before the first sprite is drawn.

I notice that... on PAL my multiplexer can display about 18-20 10x16 multicolored sprites in one frame, on NTSC only 13-14... pretty much different :(

Any chance for releasing the source code after your test? if so... please make the source easy to read or at least some comments... ;)

I have plan to release this engine as linked library with full documentation and some examples that using it.

Another quick test, this time Super Mario Bros...

smb_test.zip

I have plan to release this engine as linked library with full documentation and some examples that using it.
It's excellent, and good news. I'll look forward to that.

Do you have any plans to create complete games personally with your engine?

that Contra title screen looks great, nice mixing hires with pmg.

I'm only considering possibilities to make conversion of Contra/Super Mario Bros/other games by checking how game would look on Atari... it's small chance that I port any of this games - I would rather make exclusive title...

Do you have any plans to create complete games personally with your engine?

Yep... We (Me, Born and Powrooz) started a new game project some days ago... but it's too soon to say some details... It will be platform shooter for sure ;)

I notice that... on PAL my multiplexer can display about 18-20 10x16 multicolored sprites in one frame, on NTSC only 13-14... pretty much different :(

Any chance for releasing the source code after your test? if so... please make the source easy to read or at least some comments... ;)

Another quick test, this time Super Mario Bros...

Interesting...could you roughly say how much CPU time the object sorter and the data stuffer individually take.

I'm curious if such a PM solution would be possible for the SMB-port I'm thinking of (See elsewhere on the forum).

Interesting...could you roughly say how much CPU time the object sorter and the data stuffer individually take.

I'm curious if such a PM solution would be possible for the SMB-port I'm thinking of (See elsewhere on the forum).

blue rasterbar - clearing pmg area

green rasterbar - drawing sprites and updating displaylist

red rasterbar - sorter

I use insertion sort for sort sprites - I think that is the fastes algorithm to sort small amount of data (radix sort is better if we have more than 16 sprites to sort)

I looked into disassembled SMB source code (smbdis.asm) and i have felling that it would be easier to write all code from scratch that modifing and analyzing orginal source code (Yep it is well commented but i don't think that i would have patient to do it ;)

it's quite impressive that you manage to run nes code on atari, i don't know exactly how nes handles a sprites but i suppose that very similar that my multiplexer so i think that sprites is not a problem... more difficult would be changing engine to use LMS feature to scroll screen

mp_test.zip

• Like 1