IGNORED

Ultrasatan arrived

For anyone having problems booting a TOS/FAT card check your TOS versions for limitations first, then start out trying a small (i.e. 25MB) partition on the card.

Well, I'm not even trying to make it bootable. I just want a card to transfer stuff between the PC and ST. I have an old 64 meg card, it's formatted with FAT16 on the PC and works great there. When I plug it into the UltraSatan it recognizes that the card is there but I'm not sure how to enable it and assign a drive letter. :?

Mitch

Curious if anyone else is seeing this - I have some programs I installed on my HD (Pagestream and Alice Pascal) that I copied to my Ultrasatan - they run fine from the HD and bomb out when running from the US??? Same goes for the Spectre utilities.....

Anyone else seeing this?

Also - I cant remember how to create an HFS partition - any pointers in the right direction appreciated.

Well, I'm not even trying to make it bootable. I just want a card to transfer stuff between the PC and ST. I have an old 64 meg card, it's formatted with FAT16 on the PC and works great there. When I plug it into the UltraSatan it recognizes that the card is there but I'm not sure how to enable it and assign a drive letter. :?

You could try using BigDOS (needs to load from AUTO folder) don't know if it will get along with your ICDPro drivers though, it very well may not. You won't be able to assign a drive letter until some driver is capable of recognizing the FAT partition properly.

Also - I cant remember how to create an HFS partition - any pointers in the right direction appreciated.

You can format a partition to HFS inside the Spectre software under the Hard Disk menu / Format .

Edited by remowilliams

For anyone having problems booting a TOS/FAT card check your TOS versions for limitations first, then start out trying a small (i.e. 25MB) partition on the card.

Mitch

If you ICD boot shows the drive there (C or D or E) then you need to 'highlight' a drive (A:) and then under one of the menus there is 'Install Disk Drive' - select that, change the letter to your hard drive (prob C:) and the icon will show up on the desktop. Ah the good ole days of loose drive integration :)

You could try using BigDOS (needs to load from AUTO folder) don't know if it will get along with your ICDPro drivers though, it very well may not. You won't be able to assign a drive letter until some driver is capable of recognizing the FAT partition properly.

Maybe, I'm not explaining it right.

OK, I have a 64MB card that is formatted in FAT16 and works fine in Windows. The UtraSatan sees it fine and reports it correctly at boot up. I can load up ICDFMT and it see the card fine as well but I don't know how to enable it to have a drive letter with out formatting it and destroying my Windows partition. I think it may just be a problem of my not understanding the process.

If you ICD boot shows the drive there (C or D or E) then you need to 'highlight' a drive (A:) and then under one of the menus there is 'Install Disk Drive' - select that, change the letter to your hard drive (prob C:) and the icon will show up on the desktop. Ah the good ole days of loose drive integration :)

That I do know how to do. But as far as I know that only adds the drive shortcuts to the desktop not assigning drive letters to a disk. Or am I wrong?

Mitch

OK, I have a 64MB card that is formatted in FAT16 and works fine in Windows. The UtraSatan sees it fine and reports it correctly at boot up. I can load up ICDFMT and it see the card fine as well but I don't know how to enable it to have a drive letter with out formatting it and destroying my Windows partition. I think it may just be a problem of my not understanding the process.

That I do know how to do. But as far as I know that only adds the drive shortcuts to the desktop not assigning drive letters to a disk. Or am I wrong?

Mitch

If ICDPRO shows C: upon startup then all you need to do is assign the drive letter - TOS only maps A&B drives automatically, it wont show any HD drives - you have to manually add them. Dont forget to Save your desktop so it shows up again ;)

The question is do the ICD drivers support FAT partitions natively, I didn't think they did. What does ICD report the FAT partition as?

Try loading BigDOS and see if it recognizes the FAT partition. Note that if you've got TOS <1.4 then BigDOS will not load properly from the HD AUTO folder. You'll need to boot your HD drivers and BigDOS from a floppy.

Edited by remowilliams

The question is do the ICD drivers support FAT partitions natively, I didn't think they did. What does ICD report the FAT partition as?

Try loading BigDOS and see if it recognizes the FAT partition. Note that if you've got TOS

ICD doesn't report it as anything, it just asks to format it. Unless there is another way to check that I'm missing. Most likely it doesn't support it.

Hmm, yes I have TOS 1.2 so that sounds like I need to boot from the floppy to run BigDOS. I guess it's worth a try.

Mitch - I dont think ICDPRO supports the Win->TOS connection - I think you need the HDDRIVER setup to support that (atleast what I got from Jookies site).

Yeah, that's what it is looking like. :(

I didn't really want to have to purchase the HDDRIVER package.

Mitch

ICD doesn't report it as anything, it just asks to format it. Unless there is another way to check that I'm missing. Most likely it doesn't support it.

It doesn't support the partition type then natively (which is what I thought). Also the BigDOS page says your HD driver must support XHDI 1.20 for a FAT partition over 32MB. So you'd likely need a small FAT partition on your SD card, if it were to work.

You can also use the HD driver on this page in addition to BigDOS to get access to the FAT card working. I used that before I eventually picked up HDDRIVER. You will need to floppy boot however as mentioned before.

I was looking at the HDDRIVER site and came across this in the FAQ:

"No, all existing data remain unchanged when installing HDDRIVER. An exception to this rule are drives that have been partitioned with old versions of the ICD driver software. In this case data have to be converted with software that is included in the HDDRIVER distribution. No data are lost by this operation. "

My existing drive is an older ICD-FAST unit which was set up with the 5.1 drivers (Im sure old). I wonder if this has somethign to do with my copy problems? Anyone know more about this particular issue that HDDRIVER fixes?

OK, I found that Drive Imager works great for transferring files from the PC to my ST formatted SD card. :)

Yes, for PC<>TOS I've used that before successfully. I would recommend running it on an isolated machine or VM though (i.e. not your primary computer). Some folks have reported some serious issues they feel are related in the past.

OK, I found that Drive Imager works great for transferring files from the PC to my ST formatted SD card. :)

Yes, for PCTOS I've used that before successfully. I would recommend running it on an isolated machine or VM though (i.e. not your primary computer). Some folks have reported some serious issues they feel are related in the past.

Yeah, I remember reading some of those discussions. It seemed more like user error than an issue with the program though.

Mitch

Mitch

I bought it - one of the best software purchases I've ever made. Don't reget it a bit.

Wonderful software, and you'd be supporting one of the few authors left that still is

supporting the Atari Community. :)

Mitch

I bought it - one of the best software purchases I've ever made. Don't reget it a bit.

Wonderful software, and you'd be supporting one of the few authors left that still is

I think Im headed this way also - wish he would provide email delivery vs paying for postage across the pond and a disk :(

Mitch

I think Im headed this way also - wish he would provide email delivery vs paying for postage across the pond and a disk :(

At this point I'm pretty happy with the way everything is working for me. If you want to purchase HDDRIVER in the US it looks like Best Electronics has it for sale.

Mitch

If you want to purchase HDDRIVER in the US it looks like Best Electronics has it for sale.

I ordered through them a while back and was really quite irritated to find out the software I purchased had no manual, and no manual available digitally... So I'd advise folks to check beforehand if that matters to them.

Mitch

I might get it too. I think it's overpriced though. I mean I've bought DIY scene software before; I paid $40 for LSDJ (Game Boy chip music tracker program) back when it used to cost that, although it's practically free now. But $66 for a hard disk driver...

Still, I might get it. I mean the whole point of getting UltraSatan was that I wouldn't have to use floppy disks anymore. I didn't realize I wouldn't be able to use ICD Pro to make a TOS&DOS SD card though.

I'm still waiting. Seeing everyone else seems to be getting their shipment is both fun and somewhat worrying. I'm hoping mine isn't stuck in customs or the like.

Woot!

Got mine in the post this morning - I had to sign for it, prob a good idea.

I probably won't have time to play with it today, but I'll take it and my

STacy to work tonight with a handful of various sized SD cards and see what

trouble I can get into. :)

I mean the whole point of getting UltraSatan was that I wouldn't have to use floppy disks anymore. I didn't realize I wouldn't be able to use ICD Pro to make a TOS&DOS SD card though.

Same here. Just rigged up SatanDisk and it's working great. Not overly delighted at the thought of another forty quid to get the thing working the way I assumed it would, though.

Edited by flashjazzcat

Someone is working on an SD image that is Windoze/ST compatible under ICD Pro - if it works you'll find it at atari-forum.com

I know, I was waiting for that but no sign of it yet. However, here's what I did to get it working (using TOS 2.06):

1. I used Paragon Partition Manager to wipe and then set up a 500MB FAT16 partition on a 1GB SD card. No further options were available: I just let it do its stuff.

2. I download the IDE driver and BIGDOS from ppera's site: http://ppera.07x.net/atari/IDEDPB.ZIP.

3. I copied the downloaded files to a blank 720K ST floppy, placing BIGDOS.PRG in an AUTO folder.

4. With SatanDisk set up and switched on and the floppy in the ST's drive, I powered up. The ST booted from the floppy and installed BIGDOS.

5. I opened the A drive and launched ACSID6.PRG from the floppy. This confirmed the presence of the SD card partition.

6. I then ran AUBACD07.PRG and pressed "I" to Install.

7. I created a desktop icon "C:", and used it to open the root of the HDD.

8. I created an AUTO folder at "C:\" and placed BIGDOS.PRG inside. I also copied the rest of the files from the floppy to the root of the HDD for good measure.

9. I ejected the floppy, reset the ST, and prayed. It booted fine from the HDD.

10. I removed the SD card from the SatanDisk and put it back in the PC's card reader and prayed some more. The files I'd copied from the floppy on the ST were all there.

I just did this a couple of minutes ago so don't be surprised if I hit a problem somewhere. Working so far, though.