IGNORED

The Official "Super Expansion Module" Thread

opcode

Q: Eduardo, when all is said and done, if Coleco had released your product back in 1983-84, would they have been able to compete with the NES?

If Coleco had the talented programmers/developers that have been developing games and hardware mods for the last 16 years, Nintendo would have been in for a world of hurt! ;)

Your question brings up a great point of interest to me (although maybe it deserves to have it's own thread to keep this one solely about the SGM) and that is whether Nintendo would have even entered the US market at all with their own console if Coleco would have pulled thru the VideoGame Console Crash and ADAM Computer debacle and remained a growing and viable force in the North American market. We all now how cautious and meticulous Nintendo was in every endeavor that they undertook back in the early 80's (actually still to this date) and it would seem to me that they would have happily continued to license their games to the likes of Coleco and others and not entered the market with their own game console here in the Americas for the time being. That way they would have continued to generate gauranteed revenues in the licensing without taking any further risk and concentrated on continuing to secure the Japanese and Asian markets.

Sega was also another company that seemed to take this very cautious approach, but unlike Nintendo, they did start to develop games for the American markets (Up'n Down, etc.)... so they might have taken the big plunge with a console in the Americas ahead of Nintendo if this "what if" played out.

Not to sound like I'm contradicting myself but, inevitably Nintendo was coming and in a big way.

Would-a, could-a, should-a... Coleco had the bull by the horns and ultimately dropped the ball. :_(

Edited by NIAD

Your question brings up a great point of interest to me (although maybe it deserves to have it's own thread to keep this one solely about the SGM) and that is whether Nintendo would have even entered the US market at all with their own console if Coleco would have pulled thru the VideoGame Console Crash and ADAM Computer debacle and remained a growing and viable force in the North American market.

That is what I mean about those "what if" scenarios, there are so many variables to consider. Market share is surely very important, but Nintendo had already complete control of their domestic market, and that was a huge advantage, because at that point all almost all arcade makers were in Japan. Eventually they would get to point that the Famicom library would be just too large to ignore, no matter what.

We all now how cautious Nintendo was in every endeavor that they undertook back in the early 80's and it would seem to me that they would have happily continued to license their games to the likes of Coleco and others and not entered the market with their own game console here in the Americas. That way they would have continued to generate gauranteed revenues in the licensing without any risk taking any further risk and concentrated on securing themselves in the Japanese and Asian markets.

Again, I still think it was a very delicate situation for all US companies. They would delay things for a while, but I still think the invasion was inevitable.

BTW, J-F's post reminded me of something. Did you know that the Atari/Nintendo deal was quite fair along when the plug was pulled. I think I will regret posting it here, as that is surely going to derail this thread once and for all, but here is the story.

Perhaps some of you know that it was actually HAL, not Nintendo, that created most of the first wave of Famicom games (the first couple of years). When Nintendo and Atari first agreed about bringing the Famicom to the US, part of the deal was that HAL would help with the first wave of Atari games, mostly arcade ports. And so they did. HAL ported Joust, Stargate and Millipede to the Famicom, perhaps more. However the deal felt thru and HAL was left with several unreleased games. That was 1983. We fast forward 4 years and HAL manages to close a deal with Atari to finally release those 3 games in Japan. The games are release as they were, 24KB games that looked as first generation Famicom games (back in 1987 not a single Famicom game was smaller than 128KB). When HAL decided to bring the games to the US, they gave them a complete makeover, so they looked a little more up-to-date. Again, there would be more than 3 games as part of deal, but probably we will never know...

post-1432-0-65394500-1329195663_thumb.gif

post-1432-0-42612600-1329195672_thumb.gif

post-1432-0-66932000-1329195682_thumb.gif

post-1432-0-87492900-1329195691_thumb.gif

post-1432-0-66783300-1329195701_thumb.gif

post-1432-0-69761700-1329195709_thumb.gif

Edited by opcode

Add another $50 to have it shipped inside a box, otherwise a padded envelope will be used.

(* Imagines the SGM shipped in a padded envelope. *)

:rolling:

Don't laugh too hard. Some day one of them will be.

Have you seen the AutoDialer casing? With the large support leg underneath? No way will it fit inside a padded envelope. :)

Edited by Pixelboy

Add another $50 to have it shipped inside a box, otherwise a padded envelope will be used.

(* Imagines the SGM shipped in a padded envelope. *)

:rolling:

Don't laugh too hard. Some day one of them will be.

Have you seen the AutoDialer casing? With the large support leg underneath? No way will it fit inside a padded envelope. :)

I was half-joking, of course. But then I have faith in the stupidity of eBay idiots. ;)

I am starting the pre-order for both the Super Game Module and Donkey Kong Super Game. I need to know how many people will want each to better plan ahead. I have a list of about 200 names, but that was 3 years ago. I need to know if the people are still there.

What I am offering is, I am locking the price at $50 for those who pre-order. Module includes printed documentation. Donkey Kong will include manual and box. Donkey Kong box will hold both the game and the Super Game Module.

If you want to pre-order, please go to this link and subscribe:http://www.opcodegames.com/lists/?p=subscribe

Do not forget to confirm your subscription by replying to the phplist email.

ETA for the SGM is August. ETA for Donkey Kong is December 2012.

I am starting the pre-order for both the Super Game Module and Donkey Kong Super Game. I need to know how many people will want each to better plan ahead. I have a list of about 200 names, but that was 3 years ago. I need to know if the people are still there.

What I am offering is, I am locking the price at $50 for those who pre-order. Module includes printed documentation. Donkey Kong will include manual and box. Donkey Kong box will hold both the game and the Super Game Module.

If you want to pre-order, please go to this link and subscribe:http://www.opcodegam...ts/?p=subscribe

Do not forget to confirm your subscription by replying to the phplist email.

ETA for the SGM is August. ETA for Donkey Kong is December 2012.

OK, subscribed as before, you should have me down for 2x on the SGM already and now I guess put me down for 2x DK Arcade as well.