IGNORED

Jurassic: The Hunter just announced: releases in 3 weeks

vdub_bobby

Anybody up for some dino-blasting? This could be very very cool if done well.

http://wii.ign.com/articles/103/1035818p1.html

Jurassic: the Hunted is an epic shooter set on a dark, mysterious island lost in time. Players assume the role of weapons and survival expert Craig Dylan, who has been hired to protect a research team studying the strange temporal energy of the island. Protection quickly becomes a fight for survival as Dylan is pulled back in time through the Bermuda Triangle and finds himself facing the most terrifying creatures in the history of the planet.

More (including a video) here:

http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/60898

Of course, it's usually not a good sign when we first hear about a game a few weeks before release and the publisher makes a point of its lower-than-normal price.

:ponder:

Supposed to be released for 360, PS3, Wii at $40 and PS2 at $30.

Edited by vdub_bobby

Just noticed I got the name of the game wrong in the title to the thread :ponder:. Any nice mod want to fix that for me? Should be "The Hunted", not "The Hunter."

Measure twice, cut once. Or just copy and paste. :D

I hope there will be an Xbox 360 demo.

Yea, to be fair.. the graphics are really good. It just seems like the gameplay might be very simple and the whole grabbing the dino's face as it attacks you bit looks like it was taken from the new Alien VS Predator game from Sega.. but not done quite as well.

Still, it looks beautiful and I might actually rent it just to see if it's any good. At the very least it's a game with dinos, so.. that automatically makes it already halfway decent.

Also, just because Activision published it doesn't mean it's quality. They also have done budget FPS before like that Soldier's Fortune game.

Edited by DaytonaUSA

• 3 weeks later...

Bunch of gameplay videos of the Wii version by a guy who bought the game:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7D-RUc7Z0U

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qI4Bvb04gE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1SUnMQAvenU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wD_519V5_xg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Bqc3csj03k

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNymkRxZiVg

Altogether that's about the first 45 minutes of the game. I've watched half of them.

His comment in a GameTrailers forum:

I would describe the game as being like one of those low budget movies that are soooooooooo bad they're good :D The graphics aren't the best, colors seem kinda washed out with some low res textures and the game has some frame-rate problems but despite these things I'm having fun. The slo-mo effect to kill dinos is pretty cool and there has been some variety in the gameplay like manning a turret to take out the onslaught of dinos and a sort of defend your castle stage where you have to keep repairing windows/gates to keep them out.

EDIT: And by the way, it's out today. ;) Anybody buy it?

Edited by vdub_bobby

On a platform with only downloads, this could be five bucks and would be worth it. I've read, however, that Nintendo demands up to $30 a copy for each game sold on its' platform (with some exceptions). That will keep medium and low quality games costing too much for a while yet.

On a platform with only downloads, this could be five bucks and would be worth it. I've read, however, that Nintendo demands up to $30 a copy for each game sold on its' platform (with some exceptions). That will keep medium and low quality games costing too much for a while yet.

It's out on all platforms at the same price. So I don't know why you're calling out Nintendo...:ponder:

aybe it's the method to captuer the video or something, but IMO, the game (while pretty looking) looks like ass in motion, the creatures seem rather stiff and artificial in their movements. That could just be me though.

I don't think its just you, seems very choppy to me.

This is way too much like turok...and i would only consider this game if it hit the 10 dollar bin.

Here lately I've been hitting local Targets for video games. The clearance price of some games, new sealed games mind you (for any of the current systems) often can't be beat. I'll admit though I haven't ever seen any for $5, I did pay $6.99 for Viva Pinata T.I.P. so I'll change my statement to...

(Well maybe not ALL costs, I'd might pick it up if it were like $6.99)

It's out on all platforms at the same price. So I don't know why you're calling out Nintendo...:ponder:

I'm just using Nintendo as an example. Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo all do it. It won't last forever though...

I'm just using Nintendo as an example. Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo all do it. It won't last forever though...

ive always heard that nintendo has absolutely ridiculous licensing costs and thats why 3rd parties don't like dealing with them.

we have ms to thank for the $60 price point this gen, however.

ive always heard that nintendo has absolutely ridiculous licensing costs and thats why 3rd parties don't like dealing with them.

we have ms to thank for the $60 price point this gen, however.

Both of those things sound like myths to me. Any evidence?

And games are cheaper now than they have ever been; I remember buying new NES games 20 years ago for $50.

(Well maybe not ALL costs, I'd might pick it up if it were like $6.99)

Won't have to wait long, Amazon has PS3, Wii, and PS2 versions all for $30:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_1_6?url=search-alias%3Dvideogames&field-keywords=jurassic+the+hunted&x=0&y=0&sprefix=jurass

Not sure how long that will last, though.

And sorry, 360 owners, you still have to pony up $40 to blast you some dinosaurs.

And GiantBomb has a 20-minute 'quick-look' video of the game that features the phrase, "What the foxtrot?" :lol:

http://www.giantbomb.com/quick-look-jurassic-the-hunted/17-1593/

The first review surfaces, at PlayStation LifeStyle:

The game has its good points, with the gun selection being pretty decent, and it is always fun fighting dinosaurs, though that’s about it. There are numerous glitches, slowdown during fights is frequent, and there is really not a lot of replay value included outside of possibly the survivor mode. The game is way too short and the story is a mess. With a pretty easy 32 trophies, this should really just be a rental for trophy elitists or dinosaur lovers–er, haters, I suppose.

They give it 2/5

IGN reviews the Wii version...

Jurassic is a guilty pleasure of a shooter. It certainly has its issues, particularly with repetitive segments of play and easy encounters which clearly hold it back. It's further complicated by the fact that there's no survivor mode and you fight fewer enemies. However, if you're looking for a mindless amount of fun, it's still a tolerable way to go.

They give it 6/10.

Sound like the Wii version is a big downgrade from the HD versions, too:

Unfortunately for the Wii, the challenge is considerably less, as you'll face off against a smaller group of dinosaurs during each encounter. In fact, compared to the PS3 or 360 versions where you might be attacked by 10 or more small raptors, you may face two or three on the Wii. Needless to say, this makes play even easier than before. The Wii version doesn't have weapon parts that you'll gather or unlimited Adrenaline Boosts that you can collect, so this really is a basic shooter experience. It also sucks that there is no Survivor mode for the Wii version, so you're solely stuck with the single player game.

If you bother to dig up the PS2 review, it's the same except with 'PS2' substituted for 'Wii' in the paragraph above. :roll:

The (virtually identical) PS3 review gives it 6.5/10.

The Shogun Gamer gave it 7/10:

Jurassic: The Hunted is far from being a perfect game and matching the amazing experience that was Dino Crisis 2 but as a whole the game is worth playing. The bad writing and equally horrific voice acting injects a lot of unintentional humor and walking around nicely rendered locations shooting dinosaurs is fun. You never get the feeling that the developers were looking to set the world on fire or give us a game that would rival Modern Warfare 2 and the game as a whole has that B-game type vibe. It also helps that the game doesn’t outstay its welcome since you can finish it in around 4-5 hours (Modern Warfare 2 style, yup I went there) and the Trophies/Achievements are easy to get. So if you like dinosaurs and fps games and want an easy going game to kill some time with then I highly suggest Jurassic: The Hunted as it’s an enjoyable and highly funny trip to the Jurassic age.
Edited by vdub_bobby

• 1 month later...

I've seen this one in the local Gamestops and wondered about it. Yes it looks like a cheapie guilty pleasure. If it comes down, to about $5.00, I might consider it. Hey if you watch the video at Giantbomb.com you'll see Turok at about the 1:45 mark. He must be doing a cameo. Oh I spoke too soon, looks like Turok bit the dust later on. Ah well. Maybe in the sequel he'll be back, this is in the Bermuda Triangle.

Rich