IGNORED

Atari Heavy Sixer Joysticks Found In The Wild

seanhq

I just got back moments ago from running around to 4 local area Goodwill's looking for random game stuff and just when I was going to call it a day at Goodwill #3 on my list, I decided to hit a new one (#4) on my list which was just a few miles away.

Well buried in a pile of stuffed animals in the toy/kids isle, I found two Atari heavy sixer joysticks (spring type), complete with the metal Atari hex discs on top. Here is the best part, they were marked $4.99 USD each. I had no idea if they worked or not, but for $10.00 USD for both, I wasn't going to pass them up, especially with the hex discs since my original set are missing those.

Anyway I rushed home to test them out. They work perfectly! OMG! Attached is a picture of the two joysticks and before anyone asks, no they are not for sale as they'll be joining my "keeper" collection.

Moral of the story is this, if you plan on going to a Goodwill trying to find some game stuff, don't just look in the back electronics section for game stuff, check down the toy isle and also in the area were they have cassette tapes, DVD's and records as I've found stuff in those areas a lot. I'm sure this was a fluke to find these joysticks, but I plan on hitting this Goodwill on a more regular basis because if these sticks showed up, I'm sure a system and games are going to be hitting the shelves sooner or later.

post-24438-125643248117_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

A good find indeed.

I hit up goodwill regularly in the hunt for more records, but have seen a 4 switcher, controllers, and 4 games in a bag for 40 bucks. didn't have the money or the want for the unit at the time, nor was it worth it to me, but I will keep looking. :)

Dang, those hex discs really dress up those joysticks. In a weird way, they remind me of cuff-links.

(YES. Hex disc cuff-links. I'd totally wear those.)

I, too, found a pair of CX-10s at a Goodwill a couple of years ago; they were naked, though. Congrats on your score! :)

Dang, those hex discs really dress up those joysticks. In a weird way, they remind me of cuff-links.

(YES. Hex disc cuff-links. I'd totally wear those.)

Agreed. The joysticks do look nice with the hex discs and now that you mention it, they also remind me of cuff links, and for times when I'd need to "clean up" and wear something that required cuff links, I'd sport Atari ones no problem. It would be a sort of a low-key "yeah, I'm into retro gaming, so there stuffy people" :)

I, too, found a pair of CX-10s at a Goodwill a couple of years ago; they were naked, though. Congrats on your score! :)

It seems recently Goodwill has had some good finds for me, however I'm still wondering how these joysticks ended up with the stuffed animals. Maybe they were playing some games or something? LOL. I'm going to the same Goodwill in the morning when they open and look over everything with a fine tooth comb to see if I can locate anything else Atari related.

• 2 years later...

Wow, certainly looks like the same pic. Not sure why someone would post a lie about a find like that but then again I seem to have a harder and harder time understanding what a lot of people do these days. :?

Benefit of the doubt? What if the picture was taken from him? :ponder: Those sticks sure as shit didn't have rubber bands on them, when they came from Atari, so the whole thing could have been piece mealed together.

Benefit of the doubt? What if the picture was taken from him? :ponder: Those sticks sure as shit didn't have rubber bands on them, when they came from Atari, so the whole thing could have been piece mealed together.

You could be right, but (sad as it is to say) my days of giving anyone the benefit of doubt are long gone.

I'm surprised he found anything Atari related in a Goodwill. They must not have been shipping to the auction site from that store yet. I'm just glad that there are still thrift shops out there that don't auction all their good stuff off.

Often times stuff gets mixed up in the thrift shop, though. I found my NES toaster sitting on the floor under a rack of clothes with a $20 price tag on it.

Wow, certainly looks like the same pic. Not sure why someone would post a lie about a find like that but then again I seem to have a harder and harder time understanding what a lot of people do these days. :?

Indeed, same picture because both sites are mine. It's been a while but I was working on consolidating websites. I'll have to get back to doing that now :)

I'm surprised he found anything Atari related in a Goodwill. They must not have been shipping to the auction site from that store yet. I'm just glad that there are still thrift shops out there that don't auction all their good stuff off.

Often times stuff gets mixed up in the thrift shop, though. I found my NES toaster sitting on the floor under a rack of clothes with a $20 price tag on it.

Look at my original post date... it was back on Oct 24, 2009 and at that point Goodwill still had some good finds... but not so much these days.

Edited by seanhq

More importantly, how the hell are ya? :D Haven't seen you on here in months!

Doing ok, thank you for asking. The short version, basically the past year and a half has been rough with personal type stuff. Had to move because the landlord stopped paying the mortgage (just pocketed the rent money every month and didn't tell us they walked away from the house), so the house went into foreclosure, my dog of 15 years passed away and my dad also died. Sounds like a bad country song I know hehe, but true.

On a positive note, I still have my Atari 2600 heavy sixer and the joysticks mentioned in this original post. I also just put my sites in maintenance mode since I still need to finish consolidating my content. I don't get on AtariAge much these days with work and rebuilding from the past year or so, but this recent comment sent me an email notification, which poked me with a stick to chime in for a moment.

Edited by seanhq
  • Like 1

Indeed, same picture because both sites are mine. It's been a while but I was working on consolidating websites. I'll have to get back to doing that now :)

Nice Goodwill find....even for 2009. In my 23 years of collecting I've never come across even the first model sticks let alone the hex disks. I just finished inventory on everything in my basement. I have 67 Atari sticks down there and not a single first model. :_(