IGNORED

Atari 2600 Dust Cover

seanhq

I've got an original blue Atari 2600 dust cover (made out of fabric), complete with the Atari logo on it. Well the other day I was talking with my wife asking her if it would be easy for her to make one since she's into crafting, etc. She said it would be fairly easy.

Anyway today she surprises me with a reproduction that she made. She even made a stencil for the Atari logo and used fabric paint and a sponge to put it on the new dust cover, so I wanted to share.

Attached are three pictures. The dark blue one is the original and the lighter blue one is her creation, first picture shows before the logo was applied and the second shows the completed project. As an added bonus the one she made will fit heavy sixers without any issues. The real one is a super tight fit on a heavy sixer.

It's sure nice having a wife that one is ok with my classic gaming obsession :) and two, she likes to support my hobby by making cool things like this for me.

Not sure if anyone would be interested, but after I told her how awesome it was, she asked if people on AtariAge would be interested if she made a couple more, so if you are, send me a PM as she plans on making a couple more. She even offered to make a couple in different colors too. Keep in mind this isn't an official Atari thing, she made it from scratch. As for price, just covering materials an shipping would be cool, maybe $15-$20 USD because this is just a hobby sort of thing she made.

post-24438-125652906541_thumb.jpg

post-24438-125652907582_thumb.jpg

post-24438-12565290841_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

I'LL TAKE EIGHT!

Haha, no, seriously, I am interested. Put me down for a maybe: I will see how my budgeting comes in next pay period and then, maybe so. Would go along great with my painted one.

Only 8 huh? Hehe. I asked her and it breaks down to about $8.00-9.00 USD in material and about 45 minutes of her time to make (cutting fabric, sewing it together, making stencil, applying fabric paint to stencil for logo), so $15.00-$20.00 shipped seems fair to me for something made from scratch and by hand. Shoot, it's like original Atari stuff because it was made in the USA like Heavy Sixers :)

Edited by seanhq

NICE!icon_love.gif

If she ever does a 7800 or a Jaguar version. I'd be all over it.

Thanks. I'll pass on your kind words to her.

As for a 7800 version, she'll be doing one of those for my system, so I'm sure a second one wouldn't be an issue. I don't personally own a Jaguar, so that might be hard to do but I've got a few friends who collect classic game stuff too, so maybe they have one I can borrow to use for a pattern. I'll let you know.

The stencil came out real nice. Did she use a spray fabric paint or brush it on. I'll have to try to make a stencil.

Allan

She used brush on fabric paint, but applied it with a sponge. Today she's going to pick up some spray fabric paint to see how that comes out verses the sponge method.

NICE!icon_love.gif

If she ever does a 7800 or a Jaguar version. I'd be all over it.

Thanks. I'll pass on your kind words to her.

As for a 7800 version, she'll be doing one of those for my system, so I'm sure a second one wouldn't be an issue. I don't personally own a Jaguar, so that might be hard to do but I've got a few friends who collect classic game stuff too, so maybe they have one I can borrow to use for a pattern. I'll let you know.

If it looks anywhere as good as the 2600 one, Im down for the 7800 cover for sure.icon_lust.gif

Count me paid, I love a black one or pleather if possible?

Just a small update, my wife tried a new technique in applying the logo. The one above she used fabric paint and a sponge to put it on, but tonight she tried fabric paint in a spray can and well it came out even better. One coat verses 4 or 5 with the sponge and much cleaner lines without bleeding.

Anyway, she's already working on a few specialized covers (other systems besides Atari 2600) for a few AtariAge members, so if you're interested, PM me as she's only going to do a few small limited of the covers because they are handmade and very time consuming.

Edited by seanhq

Just to update, put me down as a "more than likely" on a simple one for a 2600: I'll know for sure by, oh, about halloween.

I almost want to go for several of these, seeing as I will own 6 2600's soon, but one is enough for the spraypainted one. :D

Ok, I've been informed by my wife that we now have 5 of the blue Atari dust covers ready to go (see attached photo of what they look like). $20.00 USD shipped. They will fit All Atari 2600 models, including Sears Tele-Games: 4 switch, 6 switch (light) and Heavy Sixers. PM me if interested.

post-24438-125731237015_thumb.jpg

Any News on the 7800 cover!

I really thing the Blue looks great.

I think you should start thinking about a Jaguar cover too!

Currently we have 5 blue 2600 covers to sell. $20.00 USD shipped.

As for 7800 covers, those are in the works, but my wife wants to sell these 5 blue ones first to recoup some of the costs on materials first. There are also plans to do other systems as well. She's currently working on a few different patterns for other systems.

• 3 weeks later...

I got my 2600 dust cover, thanks! It fits nice, looks nice, and I can even leave a cart plugged into the console if I want to. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Cool. Glad you like it. I'll pass on your kind words to my wife.

As for keeping a cart plugged in with it on, why would you do that? I just tried it after reading your comment and it makes the cover look like a tent... hehe... to each his own I guess :)

For those interested, I've got 4 more of the covers left if you're interested. If so, PM me. Thanks in advance.

• 2 weeks later...