IGNORED

Finding Odd Things in Your Arcade!

pboland

I Found a Slush Puppie Video game Contest card behind the speaker grill of my Asteroids arcade today. After I found it I thought, I wounder how many other people found interesting things in their arcade machines when they went to restore them. So I'm hoping people will share their stories on what they have found in an arcade restoration. Here's some pictures of the video game contest card I found:

post-9874-125665617637_thumb.jpg

post-9874-125665618706_thumb.jpg

Let's see... Cig butts, and urine smells. Do they count?

AX

We have Twin Galaxies to blame for the urine smells...all these marathon gamers opening the coin doors to take a leak in the coin bucket.

On a serious note, I have the operator's manual for the Pole Position cabinet I bought. No big deal. But yeah, mouse turds on the bottom of the cabinet...

What was cool about the Make Trax cabinet I have is the control panel has a green inspection stamp "November 12 1982." That is why I like restoring cabinets versus building from scratch - you know the cabinet was being played somewhere.

The Satan's Hollow cabinet had a bunch of hand written notes regarding what color wire goes where. There was also a work order in the coin bucket for repair at some address in Philadelphia.

Let's see... Cig butts, and urine smells. Do they count?

AX

I guess, if you find those things interesting.

I figured cig butts, urine smell, rodent feces, rodents, and bugs were pretty common with restores. Don't forget old beer smell too!

I have also found tons of tokens in the bottoms of the machines.

Last year I bought seven arcade machines at the same time. Got a really good deal on them (Asteroids was one of them). When I first opened the Gorf and Berzerk machines, they had extra parts sitting in the coin buckets. I later figured out that those part won't for those machines, but they went to the non-working Tempest machine I also got that day. I put those parts back in the Tempest and the machined worked for about 3 months.