IGNORED

Stella sound or real Atari 2600 sound with bacon?

Random Terrain

10 members have voted

1. 1. Where should the sound files come from?

• Stella. It may not sound perfect, but at least it's clear.
    • Real Atari 2600 with frying bacon noise in the background.

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

I am making a new web page that will play Atari 2600 sounds when you move your mouse pointer over certain images and text.

After all kinds of trouble, I attached my Atari 2600 to an old VCR and hooked up the sound to my computer. I don't know if it's the Krokodile Cartridge or the VCR or something in-between, but there is a crackling noise in the background. I could use Stella, but I don't have a good quality Sound Blaster type card. Stephena said that Stella sounds closer to a real Atari 2600 if you have something as good as a Sound Blaster card. I have 'Realtek High Definition Audio' and Stella sounds similar to a real Atari 2600, but it's a little off as you can hear in this example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Njvf9L_NxHI&rel=0&fmt=18&showinfo=0

So what would you like? Real Atari 2600 sound with a crackling noise in the background or Stella sound that might be a little off, but is nice and clear?

Thanks.

Edited by Random Terrain

Two votes for Stella so far and one vote is mine. After the Halloween stuff is over, I hope more people will have time to vote. I won't be able to do anything until Sunday, so there is time for you to share your opinion and affect my choice. I'm going to try to record 320 Atari 2600 sounds, so I want to get it right the first time. I do not want to do this again.

Good news! I wanted to try one last thing. It was a huge pain, but I unhooked my DVD recorder, brought it over to the computer, hooked up the Atari 2600 to it and there seems to be no crackling noises! Now we should have sounds that are as clear as Stella, but they'll be from a real Atari 2600.

Does anyone have an idea about how long these sound files should be? One second? Two seconds? Longer?

Thanks.

I created a test page and uploaded the sound files. The good news is that it works, but the bad news is that the sound files are taking too long to load. Now I have to load each sound file into AVS Audio Editor and save again at a lower sample rate, sample size, and in mono, dropping each one from 178k to 31k. I've redone 32 sound files so far and uploaded them. They load a lot faster now. They just don't sound as good.

Atari 2600 Sound Files from a Real Atari 2600

If anyone ever wants to make an Atari 2600 specific Anvil Studio type of program, I have the higher quality sound files if you need them. If I counted right, there are 319 sound files and each one is around 178k. Each sound is also around one second long.