IGNORED

Show your VBXE installs!

Beetle

thats unfair Simon you should say "if only my monitor worked right"

:P so send me the fix... and tell me how to get it working on the VGA monitor and we will be all set.

In Europe we can connect the VBXE RGB output to 'any' TV using SCART. Unfortunately US TVs lacks SCART or equivalent RGB input.

But many LCD TVs nowadays have a VGA connector. Do these TVs also support a 15KHz signal at the VGA connector or only 31KHz? Maybe that is worth a try.

Robert

thats unfair Simon

you should say "if only my monitor worked right"

I have been reading about VBXE monitor connections, I would also like to know how I can have my VBXE setup to work with VGA, that would be the best.

what would I have to do? IS a special vga Monitor required?

venom4728a

I have been reading about VBXE monitor connections, I would also like to know how I can have my VBXE setup to work with VGA, that would be the best.

what would I have to do? IS a special vga Monitor required?

Normally, VBXE outputs a 15KHz signal. Regular VGA monitors require 31KHz+ signals. So normally the VBXE output is too slow for regular VGA monitors.

European TV's support 15KHz RGB over the SCART connector. In addition to SCART lots of LCD TVs have a VGA input connector but there is a big chance that the VGA

connector only accepts 31KHz+ signals even when the TV supports 15KHz signals over SCART.

But candle is doing some experimentation of providing 31KHz RGB output of VBXE so the VBXE can be connected to a regular VGA monitor. But I don't know if the required VGA core is already finished/released but I'm sure candle can tell more about that.

Robert

But candle is doing some experimentation of providing 31KHz RGB output of VBXE so the VBXE can be connected to a regular VGA monitor. But I don't know if the required VGA core is already finished/released but I'm sure candle can tell more about that.

There's VGA firmware in the latest core pack. Naturally you also need to fit a different oscillator and do a bit of wiring.

Edited by flashjazzcat

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I did an install in my all socketed 800xl, and it works great, pulled out the modulator and put a 9pin in the back of the case.

It looks great UNTIL I try to put the top back on, and I the KB backplate hits the mod.

the combo of spacer, mod, and chip is to high to close the top. If I take the socket out, It will fit, but the mod board is at a giant angle. I've moved C24 to the side, but I'd have to move 4 or 5 other things to get this board down without the space socket.

I wasn't able to find much of a guide, so I just went with a few jpgs of complete installs.

Did I do something wrong? or is there something about this rev thats a problem?

So far it looks great on my 2GS monitor

post-5450-0-45571400-1310242080_thumb.jpg

That's awful high, I'm afraid. The VBXE needs to go straight into the precision socket, straight on the PCB, IMO. What revision 800XL board is that? On my Rev. A, not only did I have to lower C24 and three transistors (or whatever they are), I had to de-socket CD4050:

post-21964-0-82419600-1310245242_thumb.jpg

I'm not saying the VBXE is exactly parallel to the motherboard when it's fitted, but it's damned close to lying flat (see pics in post #185).

Edited by flashjazzcat

precision type socket that was provided with vbxe was to replace the one You has on motherboard already, not to stock it one on top of another ;)

thats why it doesn't fit

Ooooooh. First I've heard of that, but it makes a lot of sense, and means a lot more work. Ok, glad I get it now.

If I leave out that socket, the components behind it cause the mod board to be at quite an angle, and a more slimline socket will make this problem worse. Other installs I see don't seem to have this same issue. Is this just a board rev issue?

U20 is whats really in the way for me. Socket change will make this even worse.

post-5450-0-30296800-1310257184_thumb.jpg

Edited by RobPattonDotCom

That's awful high, I'm afraid. The VBXE needs to go straight into the precision socket, straight on the PCB, IMO. What revision 800XL board is that? On my Rev. A, not only did I have to lower C24 and three transistors (or whatever they are), I had to de-socket CD4050:

I'm not saying the VBXE is exactly parallel to the motherboard when it's fitted, but it's damned close to lying flat (see pics in post #185).

Yea, the problem is my U20 is socketed, I guess I should look at that first.

Edited by RobPattonDotCom

Slightly off topic, but does anyone have a demo ATR built to actually show this thing off? I wasn't able to find anything obvious.

Solution to U20... Remove it, CAREFULLY bend all of the legs 180 degrees, slot into board from the underside, solder in...

post-6732-0-06078800-1310262982_thumb.jpg

Additional components that get in the way can be done the same way...

(Candle fitted the board in the picture so it's the official approved method :D )

Slightly off topic, but does anyone have a demo ATR built to actually show this thing off? I wasn't able to find anything obvious.

http://spiflash.org/files/vbxe/release-examples.zip

try that

The only thing I had to modify was a capacitor up/left from Antic, I just removed it and put another in, leaving longer legs so it could be bent down parallel to the motherboard.

The important thing is that the adaptor board to hold Antic is flat. The VBXE board itself plugs into it and it will probably always sit at a slight angle.

I also put a piece of thickish plastic under the VBXE to ensure no contact occurs between solder pads etc.

My VBXE is slightly different to most others though, 800XL version but with header rows that are flush/parallel to the board rather than sticking upwards.

I'm surprised that it was even possible to push the precision socket into Antic's cheap socket and have it remain there. My initial shortcut attempt was to do similar - it just never stayed in so I had to replace the socket like everyone else.

Personally, I'm wary of putting much stuff under the motherboard. It's not such a problem with the XLs, but my XE has some thick wiring to under the SIO port and now that machine has the problem that the cart/ECI ports are off-centre from where they should be. I guess taking the shielding off would probably fix that though.

Solution to U20... Remove it, CAREFULLY bend all of the legs 180 degrees, slot into board from the underside, solder in...

(Candle fitted the board in the picture so it's the official approved method :D )

Heh. Guess that's why it's called VideoBoard XE and not VideoBoard XL..

Excellent, now we're moddin. I didnt think about going underneath

Excellent, now we're moddin. I didnt think about going underneath

Optional on the 800XL, IMO, but essential (certainly in the case of one tall IC) on the 600XL.

I agree, the U20 can be left on top, but you do have to remove the socket and solder it in direct to the board... The three legged transistor jobbies can CAREFULLY be pushed flat (or removed and the legs angled and resoldered in so they lay flat to the board)... same with the capacitor that's in the way.