IGNORED

Bubsy - JAGUAR HSC - November '09 - Atardi__2,195,810

kevincal

not a great score, i can't get past the first level.

:ponder: JOIN THE CLUB!!! :lol: I've tried several times to play this game and enjoy it, and never have beaten the first level. Our resident Bubsy Master Doc Clu gives a ProTip though, he recommends starting the game on a different level via a cheat code I believe. So google Bubsy Jaguar cheats and find out how to start from a different level and try that! ;) Heck, go ahead and try a cheat where you can't die and see how many points you can get. ;)

Can't get past the first level? Where are you getting stuck? Describe what happens?

Glad to be here BTW. One of the things I would like to do is get a special version of Bubsy made where you start on level 7.

But here is the code for level 7: 812615

Levels 7 through 9 should be doable. 10 through 12 can be a bit rough though.

Can't get past the first level? Where are you getting stuck? Describe what happens?

The two things that give me trouble on the first level are the 2 guys/kids with the balloons and then after that the water with the small rock. It looks like i have to do a running jump to land on the rock and then quickly jump again. I got past this spot once or twice a couple months ago, but haven't been able to do it since.

Edited by roadrunner

The two things that give me trouble on the first level are the 2 guys/kids with the balloons and then after that the water with the small rock. It looks like i have to do a running jump to land on the rock and then quickly jump again. I got past this spot once or twice a couple months ago, but haven't been able to do it since.

Tweedle dee and Tweedle Dum are easy enough after a while. Just time the balloons above them. One launches a poison balloon, and then the other launches a balloon. They alternate. So jump on the one guy while the other guy is launching the balloon.

Once those two guys are gone and you have jumped up on the table next to where they were and then climbed up all the cups and saucers to get the table floating above that table and walked through the "red light/green light" key.... (which releases the spikey wall over the water)

... then all you have to do, get back to the ground level, back up a bit, run for the water and jump/glide. You should be able to glide across the water with no problem.

----------------------------

As for me, since it is already established that I can solve Bubsy from 1st to 15th level in 47 minutes, I don't want to crush anyone's spirit here. But I do want to instruct and help a new wave of people discover this game. So I am here to coach! :)

^^^ Good tips :thumbsup:

I used a cheat code to start on level 2 that i found right here on AtariAge.

My score for level 2

22,603 and i collected 317 balls. I'm glad i pawsed the game before i used up all my lives. It doesn't look like the game will show it again unless i have a top 10 score.

Man you must be quick. I tried that lvl 3 times just now and my top score was only 15444

Man you must be quick. I tried that lvl 3 times just now and my top score was only 15444

Actually in Bubsy it is better to go slow. Stay in control, be a cool cat. :P

Just find your opponent and jump, and then GLIDE down. Always GLIDE down on your opponent. Don't try to jump and land on opponents unless you really know what you're doing. Most of the time I don't, I need that extra control.

And as much as people gripe about Bubsy and having to start over, you know, most games of this type are the same way if not worse. And most of those have you needing to take out the same opponents when you die.

On Bubsy the opponents are always at the same place, and they stay dead when you take them out. So even if you die, that is one thing you will not need to do again.

And those exclaimation point markers do more than just mark place, they mark TIME as well.

There are a lot of times I would race to a marker (and it would be at 9 minutes remaining), carefully clear the way of all opponents practically to the end, then kill myself (at which point I might have had like a minute or two remaining.) Then I go back to the marker, once again with 9 minutes, all the opponents are dead clear till the end, and all I have to do is race at full Bubsy speed clear to the end, and I wrap up the whole level with 8 minutes or something like that. Great way to get points. ;)

So I tried this trick to demonstrate on level one. Got to the first marker as quickly as I could. When I hit the marker I had 9:10 left in time. Then I took my time and just enjoyed. I must have spent 30 minutes on this level alone because I had the marker at nine minutes. I would die and get another nine minutes. I must have died 5 times on this level. All those on purpose. And my final result, 717 balls, 8:42 minutes remaining, 10 lives, and a score of 97,728.

I mean Bubsy has so many tricks, items, and ways you can play it. But the nice thing about Bubsy is the marker system, and that there are soooo many extra lives laying around. I think I've ended Bubsy with like 40 lives once so I learned to stop collecting those. And then the continues give you nine lives.

So just master the JUMP... GLIDE and you will master this game. Seriously.

MovieB-Tweedle Dee.wmv

MovieC-Get the key.wmv

MovieD-Cross the water.wmv

Edited by doctorclu

Nice going Buster. ;)

Very well done indeed!!! Highest score so far.

BTW, hope you guys found the movies I made above helpful. I found it is best to save them and then view them on their own rather than just clicking on them and trying to watch with your browser.

Edited by doctorclu

I think The Great Atardi will have a pretty good score for this game. :)

I played level/chapter 3 today and only got 19,877 points.

"The Great Atardi" did make a score a while back of 2,027,476. There are numerous ways in Bubsy you can do that. Tried to ask him how he went about it to match it in similar style, no response. Yep, "great" Atardi.

All I have to say to that is, unlike that example, I am fully willing to share what I know about this game and how to make things happen. If nothing else I hope to show some things to make you say "hey think some time playing Bubsy would be fun" and make it a game you'll play time and time again.

Sandbagging? Be glad to throw in a score, but I am not here to compete but to instruct and coach. My score playing first level as you saw above was 97,728.

I'll try to submit another score later on. To all of you as Bubsy says later in the game "Keep it up... just keep it up!!"

"The Great Atardi" did make a score a while back of 2,027,476. There are numerous ways in Bubsy you can do that. Tried to ask him how he went about it to match it in similar style, no response. Yep, "great" Atardi.

All I have to say to that is, unlike that example, I am fully willing to share what I know about this game and how to make things happen. If nothing else I hope to show some things to make you say "hey think some time playing Bubsy would be fun" and make it a game you'll play time and time again.

Sandbagging? Be glad to throw in a score, but I am not here to compete but to instruct and coach. My score playing first level as you saw above was 97,728.

I'll try to submit another score later on. To all of you as Bubsy says later in the game "Keep it up... just keep it up!!"

So a quick question?

I know there are continues some where in the game. I believe I read there was one on lvl 3. I've never collected a continue so my question. If you collect a continue, does it give you the full 9 lives and does your score keep going or is it wiped out.

Should we include this score from Atardi then; or no? ;)

Tell you what, someone other than Atardi or I get a score of half a million (500K) then I will submit a score and same goes for Atardi's score. How's that?

I think it is established Atardi and I can make that kind of score on Bubsy. What I'd like to see is who else can. :D If I see more major league players here, sure I'll throw a score in. But for now, we trying to get people who can hit the ball with Bubsy, much less make big scores. So here to help for now. Of course there is your whole $64 contest which I'm sure Atardi is competing in, so not sure what his take would be on this.

As for me, not as much an issue. I just don't know what would be accomplished by stomping people into oblivion when I really want people to enjoy a game like Bubsy, so that is why I am coaching. But hey, get that score of half a million (500K) or just so much as beat Bubsy and I'll put my score in, sure. :)

To answer another question....

Continues I have seen have been on the 3rd level, 6th level, and 7th level. When you use it, you start over at the existing level, but get 9 more lives. And I believe you can hold multiple continues too.

Edited by doctorclu

Tell you what, someone other than Atardi or I get a score of half a million (500K) then I will submit a score and same goes for Atardi's score. How's that?

I think it is established Atardi and I can make that kind of score on Bubsy. What I'd like to see is who else can. :D If I see more major league players here, sure I'll throw a score in. But for now, we trying to get people who can hit the ball with Bubsy, much less make big scores. So here to help for now. Of course there is your whole $64 contest which I'm sure Atardi is competing in, so not sure what his take would be on this.

As for me, not as much an issue. I just don't know what would be accomplished by stomping people into oblivion when I really want people to enjoy a game like Bubsy, so that is why I am coaching. But hey, get that score of half a million (500K) or just so much as beat Bubsy and I'll put my score in, sure. :)

Continues I have seen have been on the 3rd level, 6th level, and 7th level.

I just passed 100K and finally beat the first lvl with out dieing. This game is actually fun once you get into it.

Continues I have seen have been on the 3rd level, 6th level, and 7th level. When you use it, you start over at the existing level, but get 9 more lives. And I believe you can hold multiple continues too.

I broke 500k but only because I cant kill the damn tea pot guy haha.. Most hits Ive gotten off him is 7 but I can get all the way to him from lvl 1 with out dieing so thats worth something I guess =P

gallery_23428_426_272916.jpg