IGNORED

STart Magazine in PDF format

Greetings!

While waiting for the rest of the SoftSide magazines to show up on eBay and elsewhere so I can complete that run I was able to complete a couple of other magazine runs. One of these is STart magazine. I have just finished getting the entire run scanned (just have to reprocess and OCR the scans) and hope to make them available in the near future.

I was also lucky enough to get all of the disks for STart. I would like to include these disk images with the PDFs. For the Analog/Antic/SoftSide I was able to convert the disks/cassettes I had and find the rest online. I am assuming there is an ST equivalent to the ATR format for emulators and making real disks. I don't have the equipment or expertise on the ST to do the conversion.

I am looking for someone to ship these disks to that is willing to convert them so I can include them with the scans. Anyone want to take on the thankless task of imaging 42 disks?? :)

post-12606-125821554055_thumb.jpg

Greetings!

While waiting for the rest of the SoftSide magazines to show up on eBay and elsewhere so I can complete that run I was able to complete a couple of other magazine runs. One of these is STart magazine. I have just finished getting the entire run scanned (just have to reprocess and OCR the scans) and hope to make them available in the near future.

I was also lucky enough to get all of the disks for STart. I would like to include these disk images with the PDFs. For the Analog/Antic/SoftSide I was able to convert the disks/cassettes I had and find the rest online. I am assuming there is an ST equivalent to the ATR format for emulators and making real disks. I don't have the equipment or expertise on the ST to do the conversion.

I am looking for someone to ship these disks to that is willing to convert them so I can include them with the scans. Anyone want to take on the thankless task of imaging 42 disks?? :)

http://www.atarimagazines.com/software/startsoftware.html

Allan

Greetings!

I have a lot of these MSA format, if that would help.

~telengard

Greetings!

http://www.atarimagazines.com/software/startsoftware.html

Allan

Well sweet, that makes it too easy :) Only one disk to do...

Greetings!

~telengard

It looks like the only missing form the archive site is Vol 1 No 3...

Greetings!

~telengard

I'm missing that one also... hmm

~telengard

Greetings!

~telengard

I'm missing that one also... hmm

~telengard

I have that disk if someone can make an MSA from it...

• 4 weeks later...

In honor of Boise State making another BCS game (against TCU - the BCS chickened out and didn't want two non BCS teams embarrassing them) I actually put forth some effort yesterday and finished processing all the STart scans so these are now complete... Yeah!

There are a couple of options as far as getting these to people (I'm trying to decide on some sort of standard process to follow for future archives as well) so I wanted to solicit some opinions.. In the past I have put together a small DVD set and more recently just torrents.. I'm not sure what people prefer but here is what I was thinking:

Option 1: Create a DVD set similar to the Analog/Antic magazines. The STart archive is just over 3 gigs so it will fit on one DVD... I don't overly enjoy making these things but if there are people that want this then I certainly would entertain it.. or maybe if someone out there that actually likes making these things wants to do it and only charge for materials/shipping plus a buck or two (hey it can pay for your membership :)

Option 2: Make a disk only. I like this option since this is what I do now - I am putting all my scanned PDF DVDs into one 50 DVD folder which takes up much less space on the shelf. This way the cost would only be about $1.50 (the cost of the DVD, the ink to put some graphics on it, and a decent mailer) plus shipping which should be minimal for DVD only.

Option 3: Make a torrent only and call it good.

In honor of Boise State making another BCS game (against TCU - the BCS chickened out and didn't want two non BCS teams embarrassing them) I actually put forth some effort yesterday and finished processing all the STart scans so these are now complete... Yeah!

There are a couple of options as far as getting these to people (I'm trying to decide on some sort of standard process to follow for future archives as well) so I wanted to solicit some opinions.. In the past I have put together a small DVD set and more recently just torrents.. I'm not sure what people prefer but here is what I was thinking:

Option 1: Create a DVD set similar to the Analog/Antic magazines. The STart archive is just over 3 gigs so it will fit on one DVD... I don't overly enjoy making these things but if there are people that want this then I certainly would entertain it.. or maybe if someone out there that actually likes making these things wants to do it and only charge for materials/shipping plus a buck or two (hey it can pay for your membership :)

Option 2: Make a disk only. I like this option since this is what I do now - I am putting all my scanned PDF DVDs into one 50 DVD folder which takes up much less space on the shelf. This way the cost would only be about $1.50 (the cost of the DVD, the ink to put some graphics on it, and a decent mailer) plus shipping which should be minimal for DVD only.

Option 3: Make a torrent only and call it good.

Absolutely AWESOME!! At some point in the future my wife is going to thank you. When we are hard up for space I might be a (very) little more inclined to purge some of my physical collection. ;)

If you are creating a DVD set I'd love to purchase but I understand if you don't want to. Seems like a lot of tedious work. bittorrent works fine for me. :)

again, thanks for your hard work on all of this scanning... it's greatly appreciated!

~telengard

Edited by telengard

I would love to see another nice disc set as you did with ANALOG and Antic, but I'd be happy even just having a plain-old disc. I would also be happy to help burn and distribute discs to help alleviate some of that pressure.

Having said that, a torrent would also be nice. I would consider making a 3GB download available for Subscribers, but there's no way I'd make such a huge file generally available for obvious reasons. :D

..Al

sure can image for you , msa or st zip and stt too probally

i own six atari and can program in a handfull of different langugaes

is this deal still open , do you need 42 disks transfered to images , then most likely sent back via email ?

charles

Hi there Charles.. I appreciate the offer but it turned out that all the images were already on the web so no point in duplicating effort.

• 3 weeks later...

Greetings good people.. Last week I was lucky enough to have facial reconstruction surgery (10 bonus points if you can correctly guess how many holes were drilled into my skull and lower jaw).. So I had some time to spend looking at different jewel boxes to find one that could be used on all DVD PDF sets (now and future). I found one I think works very well, in fact I'm going to go back and redo that Antics/Analogs as soon as the Comics and SoftSide magazine cases are done. The only downside is it is only a one disc case so multiple DVD sets will have multiple cases (no biggie).

Anyway.. Nothing fancy. Here is the one for STart:

The Front:

post-12606-126169540307_thumb.jpg

The Back:

post-12606-126169541338_thumb.jpg

The Inside:

post-12606-12616954334_thumb.jpg

The DVD:

post-12606-126169545286_thumb.jpg

The inside with the DVD:

post-12606-126169547268_thumb.jpg

I know its a bit busy on the inside.. It is a bunch of the graphics I pulled from STart magazines when testing some of the other jewel box sets and since the case is see-through I thought I would print some of STarts graphics on the other side of the cover though it was supposed to be in black and white to make the DVD "pop" but the printer guy didn't understand what I wanted:

post-12606-126169562867_thumb.jpg

Anyway I made up 20 of these buggers so hopefully there are some people out there that want them:

post-12606-126169572068_thumb.jpg

post-12606-126169572913_thumb.jpg

Those are beautiful! How much? :D

..Al

Well I was looking to retire.... Heh :)

I haven't added up my costs yet.. It will be cheap though.. under 10 bucks total (that is including shipping as well). How about $8.50 to the U.S. and $9.50 outside the U.S.

You could always get the online store back up and I could ship the headache to you :)