IGNORED

Anyone play New Super Mario Bros. Wii yet?

jeremysart

I have had a Wii for sometime now, and I rarely ever play it.. infact, I play games on my Adam more than the Wii..

I was pretty excited for New Super Mario Bros though after hearing about it a year ago, and I got my copy of it today. Me and my wife fired it up and played through the first world.

All I have to say is, if you are a classic gamer, this game ROCKS!

Its way better than the DS version in all respects. Its longer, and implements more from the original Super Mario Bros. series. We had a lot of fun playing it tonight, and it is a GREAT cooperative game!

My final word: Definitely a must have if you own a Wii, now I have a reason to play the thing other than when I have company over.

Between New SMB Wii, Mario Kart, Smash Bros. Brawl, Zelda Twilight Princess, Super Mario Galaxy, and Mercury Meltdown, the Wii is not a half bad little console to own if your a simple gamer like I.

Edited by jeremysart

I was kinda meh'd by it for the price since I blew through too much of it in one sitting, but I tend to do that.

I really like what they did to it as far as powerups though!

It beats the hell out of mario galaxy, and in 10 years will be the classic gaming equivalent of Mario 3 on NES

If I pick it up I'm hoping my girlfriend will be interested in it. She enjoys playing mario kart on the wii and some other games but I don't really consider her a "gamer"

Ditto. My wife loves Super Mario World games, so I'm hoping that this will be right up her alley. She's not a gamer really, but I'm working on that... :)

Tempest

My wife does play games, but she's not a hardcore gamer, well, generally shes not much of a classic gamer, but she loves this game.

I really liked how they took a lot of elements from both SMB 3 and SMW, and bits of other Mario classics and rolled them into nicely polished new title. I was iffy about it using 3D models at first, but they really do look VERY nice.

The game is fun both single player and with a friend or two. We had a lot of laughs playing together though, it can be really cooperative, bouncing off someones head or tossing someone to help get things.

Arkhan, though I wish this game had additional levels/power-ups available to purchase through wii ware, you are absolutely right. This game is sure to be the future classic gaming experience equal of SMB 3 for NES.

Almost picked this up at TRU the other day with their "buy one get one $20 off" deal but they didn't have Punch-Out, which is what I wanted to get with it. :x

(And as much as I want it I still can't justify the Metroid Prime Trilogy since I own all of the games already...)

My brother's getting New Super Mario Bros. Wii for Christmas. Meanwhile, I get Sonic and the Secret Rings, and my sister gets Samba De Amigo. I sense there's going to be much competition to play the Wii come Christmas day.

I've been waiting for a 2d(ish) all new Mario for...well...hell, nearly 15 years now. It would be a reason for me to get a Wii. Does it work with the GCN controller (or the "classic" or whatever) or does it use some weird controll scheme?

I don't believe so, it uses some of the tilting features of the Wiimote. But I think you can either hold the Wiimote like a NES controller or use the nunchuck.

Tempest

There are no crazy wii mote schemes for playing the game which is nice.

You do hold the controller sideways like an NES controller. You shake the controller to spin jump, and do a fast up motion while holding the 1 button to lift things.

There are a couple parts on the game where you tilt the wii mote to tilt a platform or aim a cannon in the game.

I think its stupid that they used two generic toad characters as the 3rd and 4th players. Out of the entire diverse world of Super Mario Bros, why just a couple of toads? I do believe that they should have used Wario and Waluigi. At least that would have made sense.

I find it humourous that the critics are complaining about the lack of online element to this game and had the chutspah to bitch about the 2-d sidescrolling. (Probably PS3 homers.) The bottom line is that this could be the game that brings the concept of sidescrolling platforms back. Just because the genre is older doesn't mean it doesn't still play.

This game kicks ass and yet another reason why the Wii rules!

I think its stupid that they used two generic toad characters as the 3rd and 4th players. Out of the entire diverse world of Super Mario Bros, why just a couple of toads? I do believe that they should have used Wario and Waluigi. At least that would have made sense.

I dont know if using characters that Nintendo recently shat out for the game cube (Waluigi) would be any better than the generic Toad characters, but I do agree they could have been more diverse.

Even just Wario and Toad would have been ok.

Of course, there are a ton of "they should have..."'s but regardless, it is most definitely a fun game, and right off the bad you can tell they took into consideration that SMB 3 was the best Mario game EVER.

I dont know if using characters that Nintendo recently shat out for the game cube (Waluigi) would be any better than the generic Toad characters, but I do agree they could have been more diverse.

Of course, there are a ton of "they should have..."'s but regardless, it is most definitely a fun game, and right off the bad you can tell they took into consideration that SMB 3 was the best Mario game EVER.

Actually, Waluigi first appeared on Mario Tennis for the N64 ;) I would say that adding Waluigi would have been better, not only would it diversify it (like you said), and it would bring the Wario bros into the mix. Kindof brings it full circle.

Picked this one up today, and I have to say, it is awesome. It is essentially a mix between Mario 3 and Mario World. I could personally do without the tilt controls for instant player actions (like picking up objects, or propelling into the air), as well as the toads getting kidnapped and screaming "help me" after nearly every level, but it's still a blast.. It reminds me of why I fell in love (and eventually out of) with video games to begin with.

Edited by Austin

or hell, have Toad and the Princess, like SMB2J, that woulda been the schit (especially if she floated like on 2....)

Does this game have the Super, super mushroom that grows Mario to full screen like the DS version?

I've heard it doesn't have the giant mario mushroom, but then I haven't played the DS game either so :P (and untill it drops at least $5, I'm not likely to any time in the near future either)

it's got the mini-mushroom like the DS game, but as far as i know, no mega mushroom. i love this game, and have just 2 tiny gripes...

- the game has yoshi, but he's on in certain levels, and you cannot take him out of that level. also, the multi-colors yoshis do not have their special abilities.

- no in-level item reserve like the DS game.

beyond that, fantastic game. i recommend it to anyone with a wii.

it's got the mini-mushroom like the DS game, but as far as i know, no mega mushroom. i love this game, and have just 2 tiny gripes...

- the game has yoshi, but he's on in certain levels, and you cannot take him out of that level. also, the multi-colors yoshis do not have their special abilities.

- no in-level item reserve like the DS game.

beyond that, fantastic game. i recommend it to anyone with a wii.

Yes, I was thinking the exact same thing. I think they could have done well with implementing more along the lines of Mario World, particularly at least implementing a lot more Yoshi, and having a reserve item at the top of the screen during stages.

You can't play as Peach because you have to rescue her!

I agree that the two toads are little weak, but all the characters play the same so unless you have 4 players, there is no real big deal.

That said, this game is AMAZING. It does EVERYTHING right that a good 2-D platformer needs to do. It is a perfect synthesis of all the things that are great about SMB3 and SMW and then adds more.

We played through the 4th world tonight in totally insane 3 player action and it was amazing. The levels are tougher than SMB3, but not as tough as Lost Worlds. The multi-player feature adds a unique challenge that makes the game fun no matter how you play and keeps the game fresh. There is plenty to do and find and the game has tons of replay value.

If you do not have it yet, go get it.