IGNORED

Jaguar High Score Club - Year 2010 Information. :-)

kevincal

Hey there. So I've been doing some thinking on how the High Score Club should go in 2010. My main priority is getting more players to join us. With that in mind, I've chosen 24 Jaguar games that we will play in 2010. 2 per month, with both games given the full month for people to play and add scores.

In choosing these 24 games, I used the following criteria. The games must be common, they must be affordable, they must be atleast decent and fun games. Here they are. :)

Alien vs. Predator

CyberMorph

Iron Soldier

Pitfall: The Mayan Adventure

Ruiner Pinball

Super Burnout

Trevor McFur in the Crescent Galaxy

Zool 2

Raiden

I-War

Pinball Fantasies

Flashback

Flip Out!

Zoop

Doom

HoverStrike

Wolfenstein 3D

Missile Command 3D

Bubsy in Fractured Furry Tails

Evolution: Dino Dudes

Ultra Vortek

Power Drive Rally

Attack of the Mutant Penguins

Tempest 2000

I will choose 2 games from this list every month, and all I will do is pick the 2 games starting from the top and work downward as the year progresses. So it looks like January will see AvP and CyberMorph contested, whereas February will see Iron Soldier and Pitfall contested.

Hopefully many new players will join us. I have thought up some more changes as well to hopefully make things even better.

No emulators allowed. This is to ensure we are all on a level playing field. I noticed on Youtube videos that some people's computers are fast enough to play Jag games at faster speeds than they actually play on a Jaguar. On the other hand I see vids of people using a Jag emu on a slow computer and it handicaps them. Safest to just play the real thing. :)

Also, for all games, only the stock Jaguar controller will be allowed to be used. For games like Tempest 2000, people with a rotary have an unfair advantage, and most people do not have a rotary because they are rare and expensive. Same with rapid fire controllers. So all games, we shall use the Stock Jag pad. No Pro Controllers allowed either! ;) This is to ensure a level playing field.

The points system. Here is the new points system for 2010:

As of March 28 I've decided to change the points system. It's very simple, let's say 5 people submit their scores for a game in a given month. 1st place gets 5 points, 2nd place will get 4 points and so on.

Let's say 9 people submit scores for a game in a given month. 1st place gets 9 points, 2nd gets 8 points and so on. I think you get the idea. ;)

I haven't decided yet if I will give out money prizes to high points finishers at the end of 2010, but mostly likely there will be prizes, cash or otherwise, at the end of the year. :)

Another thing, I will have a time limit on most of the games we are contesting. Most people simply do not have the time to play these games for hours. For instance, for AvP, I'd like the contest to be: Play as the Predator from the beginning and see how many points you can score in 1 hour. Again, this is to make the Jaguar High Score Club accessible to everyone to compete; Even people with limited time and money. :) Which I think that is most of us these days!

To clarify, the points will only be given out to those who compete in the 2 games being played that month. After that month is over, people may still submit scores, but they will only get 1 participation point no matter how good their score, UNLESS they get the HIGH score, then they will get another point, in addition to the participation point.

Also, to clarify, no cheats of any kind are allowed! We do go by the honor system here, but if you submit crazy high scores constantly, I will have to ask for proof that you are THAT good at video games. ;) A video or 2 of you playing would do the trick.

Most importantly. HAVE FUN. :D

Edited by kevincal

AVC Online will be proud to once again to offer a E-certificate for our cafepress shop as prize just let me know

the amount and I'll make a note of it.

I can only be in 7 of the games you listed.

and of course I'll feature an JHSC game of the month on AVC_live(it will be a new feature aside from our regular game of the month

which will also feature certain games for my new high score team competition I'm planning for 2010(various atari games))

I'll see if josh(vi-master could help me with the videos as well.

List looks good. Im pretty decent at all the games except Attack of the Mutant Penguins. For some reason I cant get out of the first lvl errr.

Ya, I couldn't figure out what to do in Mutant Penguins either. :P

AVC Online will be proud to once again to offer a E-certificate for our cafepress shop as prize just let me know

the amount and I'll make a note of it.

I can only be in 7 of the games you listed.

and of course I'll feature an JHSC game of the month on AVC_live(it will be a new feature aside from our regular game of the month

which will also feature certain games for my new high score team competition I'm planning for 2010(various atari games))

I'll see if josh(vi-master could help me with the videos as well.

Sounds great! Thanks again for your contribution. :)

In choosing these 24 games, I used the following criteria. The games must be common, they must be affordable, they must be atleast decent and fun games. Here they are. :)

Alien vs. Predator

CyberMorph

Iron Soldier

Ruiner Pinball

Super Burnout

Zool 2

Raiden

I-War

Pinball Fantasies

Flashback

Flip Out!

Zoop

Doom

HoverStrike

Wolfenstein 3D

Missile Command 3D

Ultra Vortek

Power Drive Rally

Tempest 2000

Now I know which games to buy once I get a Jag again... I really miss mine...

I'm trying to work out a deal with a local guy... crossing my fingers!

-rick

Alien vs. Predator

CyberMorph

Iron Soldier

Ruiner Pinball

Super Burnout

Zool 2

Raiden

I-War

Pinball Fantasies

Flashback

Flip Out!

Zoop

Doom

HoverStrike

Wolfenstein 3D

Missile Command 3D

Ultra Vortek

Power Drive Rally

Tempest 2000

Now I know which games to buy once I get a Jag again... I really miss mine...

I'm trying to work out a deal with a local guy... crossing my fingers!

-rick

Good luck!

Also, I know there are games besides these 24 that are good and somewhat common, AND that we haven't contested yet in the Jag HSC. SO, in the coming days I'm jusat going to create High Score threads for each of the games not on this list and that we haven't contested yet. There will be no points involved with these games, but it will still be fun for people to contribute their high scores. :)

List looks good. Im pretty decent at all the games except Attack of the Mutant Penguins. For some reason I cant get out of the first lvl errr.

Ya, I couldn't figure out what to do in Mutant Penguins either. :P

It is pretty simple. You kill the mutant penguins and try not to kill the good penguins. If you eliminate all the mutant penguins before they can set off the Doomscale then you win the level. Both of the selectable characters have a weapon they can use (a pan or a bat) and you gain access to that weapon by collecting the letters that spell it. These are collected from chests. So a good start is to collect gremlins and put them on the chests so you can get your weapon. To help you stop the mutant penguins there are also bonus items you can collect and buildings you can activate and you do that, again, by putting gremlins on them. When you hit a mutant penguin with your weapon they will not die but orbs will pop out. If you collect enough orbs without using your weapon you get a temporary weapon power up. So hit two or three guys in a row and then collect their orbs without using the weapon and you will then have the weapon power up. With that you will be able to kill some mutant penguins.

Here is my suggestion for how to score the game. The levels are not very long and you get a score for individual levels. I would suggest using the best combined score of the first 5 or first 10 levels.

Play as the Predator from the beginning and see how many points you can score in 1 hour

Limitations like these are a good idea, and it'll also keep one person from eating up all the high scores *cough*AtarDi*cough*

Hello! I'm glad you agree with the idea. :) Yes, some of our resident players play games for hours upon hours surely. Some of us mere mortals just cannot compete!

It reminds me of those old gaming contests from the past, like on tv, where they had 2 nerds from the 80's playing several games for a short time period each. I think it's really exciting this way, even if we are playing alone at home. With the time limit, it adds suspense! also yes I believe it evens the playing field very much, making for a more competitive competition.

ALTHOUGH I wouldn't be surprised if Atardi still comes out on top all the time. ;) He is the Michael Schumacher of the Jaguar High Score club! :P But maybe he won't run away with it so badly this way.. ;)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Kev,

I will be showing Cybermorph on video cast on Sunday for the JHSC(it will be one Vi-masters videos on you tube I will be using)

because I will be doing a live showing of mean santa on the 2600 (as well showing some Jag Ads during breaks)

sweet man. :) ill try to catch it! Thanks for your efforts in promoting the Jag and the HSC. :)

Kev,

I will be showing Cybermorph on video cast on Sunday for the JHSC(it will be one Vi-masters videos on you tube I will be using)

because I will be doing a live showing of mean santa on the 2600 (as well showing some Jag Ads during breaks)

sweet man. :) ill try to catch it! Thanks for your efforts in promoting the Jag and the HSC. :)

since this will be done using a overlay at ustream it won't be recorded to ustream.

so if you miss it you can always go to vi-masters youtube page and watch his game play.

also let me know if you want me to donate a E-cert to this years winner as well.

(let me know the initial value (from 10.00 to 25.00))

did last years winner contact you, I can't send the winner the e-cert if I don't know it is.

• 2 months later...