IGNORED

2600tris

atari2600land

major update: I've added a B-Type to the game. For those who don't know, B-Type is where you can freely set the level and the height of garbage blocks and the goal is to complete 25 lines. B-Type is one player only and you press the select switch until one joystick appears with a playfield pixel on the left side. Once pressing fire, you can then select level (speed) and height, and then try to get 25 lines.

2600tris_020210.bas.bin

2600tris_020210.bas

This version moves much more smoothly as the blocks fall down. I discovered I had enough cycles to make the block not blink so much. I also discovered that sometimes the title screen displays a red 0 when I put in "set debug cyclescore" in, so if anyone can test this on real hardware, pay special attention to the title screen and see if it rolls or acts weird.

2600tris_020410.bas

2600tris_020410.bas.bin

Edited by atari2600land

This version moves much more smoothly as the blocks fall down. I discovered I had enough cycles to make the block not blink so much. I also discovered that sometimes the title screen displays a red 0 when I put in "set debug cyclescore" in, so if anyone can test this on real hardware, pay special attention to the title screen and see if it rolls or acts weird.

Really exceptional work. The animation is smooth now - which makes the game even more enjoyable! :) I like the Tetris music as well. Is there anyway to make it play by default?

Fixed. thanks for reporting. Any other bugs to report or changes i should make?

I haven't checked this out since my last post in this thread where I made some comments (many of which you appear to have addressed). Will check out this latest version and report back here once I've done so.

..Al

Was test-playing this and kept finding a bug which made the game freeze sometimes if you're on level 9. So I just removed level 9 altogether. Now if you get 80 blocks, that's the fastest speed there is. And it's still pretty hard on that speed (at least for me.)

2600tris_020610.bas.bin

2600tris_020610.bas

• 4 weeks later...

I'm not the biggest fan of Tetris (probably because I suck at it) but your implementation for the 2600 is nice. :thumbsup: I luuuv the ploddy title music! :)

If it's not too late, a few suggestions:

• I was going to suggest changing the name to "VCStris" because it rolls off the tongue so much better, but now that I've seen your title screen, "2600tris" makes sense visually. Although you could do something similar with "VCStris," such as have some letters two "pieces" high, i.e. first the bottom piece of a letter falls, then the top piece lands on top of it.

• About the title screen, the color combination between the blocks and background kind of drives my eyes buggy, but that could just be me. It just looks like you picked two different colors with the same luma level and sometimes that can get a little funky on-screen. It could also be I'm playing it on my computer, maybe it looks better on Hardware. Maybe you could do a brighter blue for the blocks and a slightly darker red for background (don't want to lose those joysticks in the dark!)? At least brighten the blocks. This would tend to enhance the objects over the background, which is always sound graphics practice.

• I know someone suggested lowering the volume of the sound effects, but now they get lost behind the music if you've chosen to have music in-game. Maybe lower the effects volume w/no music, and raise the effects volume w/music? Or just lower the in-game music volume?

• How about a "baby" version (slower falling, longer lock-in delay)? Like I said, I really suck at Tetris, so a child's version might help me get better at this game. I find myself hitting the "Pause" key sometimes just so my brain can catch up to the action! :dunce: Also, I find it hard to control so a longer lock-in delay would really help. This also could be a problem related to emulation, since keyboard response time seems to be inconsistent in all games I play in Stella.

I applaud your efforts so far. If you can make me want to play just... one... more... game... of Tetris, you've really done something! :)

-tet

• 10 months later...

OK, I really want your honest and truth-filled opinions on this: Would you buy this if it was in the AA store? If not, what changes would you suggest? Here's a little run-down of the options that you can choose from the title screen:

next piece - right switch B

no next piece - right switch A

select - Type A (no block to the left)

select - Type B (a block to the right)

select a third time - two player game

color/B&W - works (there is a b&w mode)

in-game: left A on - no music / left switch A

music - left switch B

Keep in mind that if this was in the store, it would probably be $30 because it uses the Superchip.

2600tris20110113.bas.bin

While I think it's a really good start at a Tetris clone, there are still a few shortcomings with it:

1. There's no score - only a line counter. So removing multiple lines or advancing to higher levels doesn't net you any extra points.
  2. The controls are a bit twitchy: When I press down to rapidly drop a piece (which is frequently), sometimes the piece will move to the right or left one column by itself (this isn't a joystick problem - I'm using a keyboard). Also, the pieces will rotate too far/too fast at times, making it difficult to place a piece properly.
  3. There's no "fast drop" option. Pressing down helps, but I'd like to be able to drop a piece immediately.
  4. The long "I" piece rotates around it's top corner, and should rotate around one of its middle blocks.

While I think it's a really good start at a Tetris clone, there are still a few shortcomings with it:

[*]The controls are a bit twitchy: When I press down to rapidly drop a piece (which is frequently), sometimes the piece will move to the right or left one column by itself (this isn't a joystick problem - I'm using a keyboard). Also, the pieces will rotate too far/too fast at times, making it difficult to place a piece properly.

Exactly what I was going to say. Good call, Nathan. This particular part of the gameplay made it hard to play well and enjoy.

Thanks, this is just the kind of criticism I need in order to make the game better. I've worked a little bit on the stuff you said. But there are two things that aren't possible, unfortunately. The first one being an automatic drop. To compensate for that, I made pressing down faster (and I think I might have gotten rid of a little twitchiness) and the second thing is that unless there is a way to put three scores in bB, it will just have to stay with just the line counter. Keep the comments coming!

2600tris20110114.bas.bin

Thanks, this is just the kind of criticism I need in order to make the game better. I've worked a little bit on the stuff you said. But there are two things that aren't possible, unfortunately. The first one being an automatic drop. To compensate for that, I made pressing down faster (and I think I might have gotten rid of a little twitchiness) and the second thing is that unless there is a way to put three scores in bB, it will just have to stay with just the line counter. Keep the comments coming!

Controls are a bit better and less twitchy, but it seems like I can't rotate the pieces fast enough when the speed gets going. Is there a way to make it so the piece rotating can be quicker and more responsive? And the music isn't bad at all, but sounds a little tinny. Would love to get a little more backbeat into it -- not sure if that's possible with the 2600, or if it would take help from one of the music experts around here. Very good effort and this is coming along well. Keep up the good work!

You like the old title screen or the new one? Also, I put the level 9 back, it was causing me problems earlier with the game freezing, so if you see that problem, please tell me.

Getting much better. The piece rotation still feels a bit on the slow side to me. Would like to be able to have it be much faster and responsive. But the side to side movement is far better -- I'm able to put pieces where I want them much more easily. Good work on that.

The much seems to stall and hang a bit on a single note when you fit a piece in, and it's a little distracting. Could there be a sound effect there instead?

Keep up the good work! :)

The much seems to stall and hang a bit on a single note when you fit a piece in, and it's a little distracting. Could there be a sound effect there instead?

Gee, I don't really hear that at all. There is a "thud" sound effect once the piece locks in place, but I don't hear the music stopping for even a tiny bit when it does. You did mean "music" right? There is a way to turn the music off (left difficulty switch to A).

Worked on the 2-player mode some more. Now there is only a slight pause when a new shape for either player is being conjured up. I also tried to work on the thing lapetino said, but since I had no idea what was happening, I don't know if I succeeded fixing it or not.

2600tris20110117.bas.bin