IGNORED

minimig - the FPGA Amiga

remowilliams

Since a few people have asked me about it, I figured I'd start a separate thread.

post-5887-125988302616_thumb.jpg

That is a minimig, (sitting on top of a Jaguar ;))

It is a modern FPGA based recreation of the hardware (custom chipset and otherwise) that would be common to an Amiga 500 type platform. This particular minimig also has the ARM expander board installed, which you can see in the picture. This minimig as configured provides some very neat things...

- configuration through onscreen softmenu

- PS2 mouse and keyboard interfaces

- two DB9 joystick ports, one DB9 serial port

- OSD selectable 15/31Khz RBG output (yes that means it can connect to a standard VGA capable monitor) and stereo sound

- 2MB of RAM that is OSD selectable between chipmem and fastmem

- compatibility up to Kickstart 3.1, Kickstarts selected through the OSD and stored on SD card. Action Replay 3 support is also available.

- hard drive support through HDF file(s) located on the SD card

- up to four virtual floppies (which can be set to 2x speed) that run from ADF images, also on the SD card and OSD selectable

- very high compatibility with OCS/ECS support, OSD PAL/NTSC selectable

- MC68SEC000 68K - normal (7Mhz) / Turbo (28Mhz) modes OSD selectable. In turbo mode the blitter is also accelerated

In short, it is a very very cool 5 inch square little beast that allows you to experience tons of classic Amiga software in style. :cool:

While I wouldn't say the minimig is cheap it is a fair price for what you get. Especially considering that if you had an Amiga 500 already and wanted to purchase just a scandoubler alone (so you could hook it to modern VGA displays) - that would probably run you in the $150-$250 price range. Then add up the price of an accelerator board, a few floppy drives, hard drive and interface, RAM expansion, etc... You get the picture. :)

Any chance of an a1200/a3000 version, or is that in the pipeline

Or can the existing hardware be upp'd to a1200/a3000 compatibility

Looks good though

I think there are some working on an AGA-chipset-based (Amiga 1200/4000/CD32) system like the Minimig, though I don't know if the current Minimig FPGA hardware can be used for it. There is also the Natami project, which has a goal of making an updated-yet-compatible system (updating the original hardware line, as opposed to the PPC-based machines like those that run Amiga OS4 or MorphOS.)

http://www.natami.net/

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...