IGNORED

atari 2600 y-cable

sphutch78

i recently found a atari 2600 y cable in a box of controllers and rf cables. This cable has no markings by any company, both ends of the Y have male 9-pins. The end of the y-cable is a small enclosure about 2-3 inches long and about an inch and a half across, it also has three screws holding the box together with a female 9 pin at the end of the box. What is this cable and what is it for. I have 2 wico y-cables for my 5200 neither are similar to this one. please tell me what this cable was intended for.

That sounds almost like an Atari joystick adapter for the Texas Instruments 99/4A computer. Bill Loguidice has a picture of one on his website.

The 99/4A used one male DB-9 port for two joysticks, which were not compatible with Atari's joysticks. Since most people preferred the Atari sticks, several companies made adapters which allowed you to plug two Atari-compatible joysticks into the 99/4A port. If I remember correctly, the enclosure portion of this cable contains a small circuit board with some diodes and a capacitor on it, which is why it isn't molded like the other ends.

If you don't have a 99/4A and don't need this cable, I'd recommend posting it for sale in the Marketplace forum. I've got one already, and it's only worth a few bucks, but I'm sure that other 99/4A owners who don't have one of their own would be interested in it.