IGNORED

iPod Touch and iPhone gaming

LS650

I just bought an iPod Touch after checking out a couple of friends' iPhones.

I have to say, this little device really rocks! It's awesome for browsing Internet or checking email, but I like that it also has some pretty decent games. These devices seem to have roughly the same power as a Nintendo DS or a PSP.

Are there any good web sites you can recommend for reviews of iPod games and/or other apps?

I just bought an iPod Touch after checking out a couple of friends' iPhones.

I have to say, this little device really rocks! It's awesome for browsing Internet or checking email, but I like that it also has some pretty decent games. These devices seem to have roughly the same power as a Nintendo DS or a PSP.

Are there any good web sites you can recommend for reviews of iPod games and/or other apps?

Toucharcade has the best forums and reviews that I've seen.

I got TouchArcade.com and FingerGaming.com. I love my iPod Touch as well - great little gaming machine. The www.RetrogamingRoundup.com podcast usually has a segment on new retro-flavored iPhone games. I've bought quite a few based on their recommendations/reviews.

Edited by BydoEmpire

Nice device for sure, but the gaming "WOW" wears off almost too quickly when you realize you can't really play any classic-style game truly efficiently... bummer.

I really wish they would release a version with a d-pad and some buttons.. Even if they're tiny, it would be pretty sweet, because like you said, yes, it's at least on par with the DS, and close to the PSP in certain cases.

Edited by Austin

Anyone know of an iPod FPS with good _simple_ controls?

I have tried Wolfenstein 3D and even it seems a bit awkward...

Check out NOVA. It just got released and is getting very positive reviews. Some say it's HALO for the iPhone. It certainly looks like it...

A few games/apps I'm playing and can recommend:

- Astro Zapper: an updated take on Asteroids. With retro graphics it looks good, and the touch screen controls work fairly well: just left/right, fire and thrust. There is a free LITE version, and only $3 for the full.

- PacMan Championship Edition: this is surprisingly good. Most maze games suck with a proper joystick, but here you can make quick swipes in the four cardinal directions to flip an onscreen joystick in that direction. It works well, and the gameplay and graphics are good. Right now you can buy it for only 99 cents!

- Low Grav Racer and Low Grav Racer 2: there are free LITE versions of these two games, each with a couple of unlocked tracks. These games are pretty much rip-offs of Wipeout! the famous "future racer". Controls are not bad (steering is adjustable, which helps a lot) and they play well with decent graphics.

- Distant Suns Lite: this is awesome! It's essentially planetarium software. Very easy to use, and uses location services to set the night sky for your exact location. Terrific if you are into amateur astronomy - and it's free!

- Kindle for iPhone: download books from Amazon.com and read them on your iPhone or iPod Touch. The reading software is actually not bad for such a small screen, and the app itself is free. They have a few classic novels up for free so you can test it out and see if you like it.

- EReader: the same as above but supports other book formats, including ereader.com and manybooks.net (free books!).

- Battery Life Lite: gaves you a graphical representation of your remaining battery charge, along with time estimates for various usages. Again, free to download.

- box.net: you can upload various docs, including Office 2003, 2007, PDFs, picture files, text files, etc. to a secure web site and then view them on your iDevice.

Anyone know of an iPod FPS with good _simple_ controls?

I have tried Wolfenstein 3D and even it seems a bit awkward...

Check out NOVA. It just got released and is getting very positive reviews. Some say it's HALO for the iPhone. It certainly looks like it...

Nova is awesome. It's like a cross between Halo and Metroid Prime, but the real nice thing is the controls and overall presentation. Two qualities most iPhone games seem to lack.

• 2 weeks later...

there is the up-coming iControlPad for D-pad add on

http://icontrolpad.com/

Nice! Thanks for posting that. I have a Genesis emulator on my phone, but I haven't even bothered loading up any games because I know the controls are going to be wonky.. I'll definitely be looking into this add-on when it's released. It may not have general appstore support, but with some of the aftermarket games and emulators, it will be worth it for those that have a jailbroken phone.

On a side note, some other apps I've picked up recently: "Angel Rush," a cheap vertical shooter with the polarity gameplay aspect of Ikaruga. "Boost" is really good one, too. Parts of it actually remind me of the graphic stylings of F-Zero X (The cylynder parts). Both use tilt controls. A touch screen puzzler I found recently is "Geospark". Pretty cool puzzler with Geometry Wars-esque visuals.

Edited by Austin

My first game for the iPhone/iPod Touch "Lunar Crisis" has just launched in the App store. It's very much based on an '80's-style arcade, high-tension, formula. You're basically defending different bases on the moon from alien attack. Tap-to-Destroy. You can check it out at on the App Store HERE, and here's a screenshot-

post-1636-126244222444_thumb.jpg

C'mon guys, no mention of iNethack (yes, a full version of NETHACK ... and it's free), Touch Rogue, or the great Sword of Fargoal remake?

All three of those will cost you like $3, if memory serves.

I mean ... it's Nethack. What more could you want in a portable game?

• 2 weeks later...

... or the great Sword of Fargoal remake?...

I somehow missed this post and was about to start a new thread about this. I got this a few days ago and have been really enjoying it. Any SoF fans should definitely get it... it's $4.99, but well worth it. It's significantly different in many ways from the original, but not so much that it doesn't still feel like Fargoal (they use the original sounds, so the atmosphere is there). I think the biggest change is the removal of the you-move/monsters-move turns, which makes the game go faster (and means you can more easily run away from things). It definitely seems to be a little easier, too... in my current game I'm on the 13th floor and am 17th level.

... or the great Sword of Fargoal remake?...

I somehow missed this post and was about to start a new thread about this. I got this a few days ago and have been really enjoying it. Any SoF fans should definitely get it... it's $4.99, but well worth it. It's significantly different in many ways from the original, but not so much that it doesn't still feel like Fargoal (they use the original sounds, so the atmosphere is there). I think the biggest change is the removal of the you-move/monsters-move turns, which makes the game go faster (and means you can more easily run away from things). It definitely seems to be a little easier, too... in my current game I'm on the 13th floor and am 17th level.

I agree - it's well worth the price. I'm having a blast with it, and it's one of the best dungeon crawlers I've played in a long time. I haven't spent that much time with it, but I'm not finding it too easy. Probably just me getting greedy and trying to tackle monsters I'm not leveled up enough to fight. Regardless, it's a fun game. Never played the original.

• 2 weeks later...

I was thinking of buying Atari's own Missile Command for my iPod, but I couldn't see paying $5 for that when there are so many similar games for only a buck.

This is a very decent take on Missile Command. The only negative is the "Game over" message is rather lame compared to the arcade's "The end" with a huge flickering explosion.

http://toucharcade.com/2010/01/28/warheads-a-beautiful-fireworks-display-of-missiles/

post-8320-126479239297_thumb.jpg