IGNORED

1977 Heavy Sixer Box Inserts Question

seanhq

Here's a question I've been meaning to ask for a while. I own two heavy sixer boxes, one from 1977 with the Chess piece on it and the 1978 version of the box without the chess piece image replaced.

So here's my question, which insert is the proper insert for the 1977 box? I have attached a picture showing both.

The top one in my picture is a box similar in size to the overall Atari box that slides into the main Atari box which has two smaller boxes for the controllers (joysticks and paddles) and a flap that covers over the top of the system. The lower set of boxes is obviously different. It has sort of a wrap type box that the system slides into, then the smaller joystick boxes and the paddle box (sort of a rectangle box).

Does anyone know which set of inserts are the proper ones for 1977? Thanks in advance.

post-24438-126085422243_thumb.jpg

Edited by seanhq

What, it's not sealed?!?

FAIL!

Nope! Overall bad condition! :(

Would you be able to post a picture of your box and inserts so I could do a visual comparison?

Sure! :D

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/141179-my-first-heavy-sixer-enjoy/page__p__1707932__hl__heavy%20sixer__fromsearch__1entry1707932

Attached are pictures of my 1977 Heavy Sixer box, Gatefold 01 Combat, 1977 system instruction manual, the actual system with E serial number, joysticks with hex discs, logo paddles and logo driving controllers. I also have the grey power adapter and RF switch box.

My box isn't as nice as Iwan's, but that's ok. The system and everything else is in super shape. This heavy sixer beauty has been in my family since 1977 when I was 5 years old. I'm so happy that my grand parents kept everything all together and for the fact that a few years ago they passed it along to me.

post-24438-126092151941_thumb.jpg

post-24438-126092152907_thumb.jpg

post-24438-126092153891_thumb.jpg

post-24438-126092155036_thumb.jpg

post-24438-126092155869_thumb.jpg

post-24438-126092156473_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Beautiful! :lust:

It´s nice that this system is in your family for such a loooong time! :)

Thank you. I agree, she is very beautiful. Nice curves too :)

I do have to say that my original heavy sixer is one of my favorite pieces in my Atari Collection. Lately though my Sears Heavy Sixer (I have the box for this one too) unit is getting more play though because it has the Longhorn Engineer video modification, but around this time every year I break out my original system, grab the direct connect adapter, pop in Combat or Bowling and remember sitting on the floor with my grandpa playing for hours at a time.

This system will remain with me forever. Not just because it's an Atari, but because of the great memories that come with it from my childhood.

Edited by seanhq

Your sixer is beautiful, sean... it's so nice that you have your family's original system and it's in such good shape!

Thank you for your kind words. I agree, having something that's been in my family for 32 years is pretty awesome, and the fact it still works like a charm. I do baby it though and only break it out on rare occasions, to help keep it nice. However my Sears heavy sixer gets a daily beating of game play at least an hour a day (more on the weekends), usually before I'm heading to bed I'll play some games on it.

As a little extra of family history and my system, Combat is the only original game from back then that still has it's original box. Like a lot of people, my grand parents kept the games and manuals, but tossed the game boxes because they had a little cartridge holder case thing for them. At least they saved the 1977 Atari box :)

Are still playing some games with ya grandpa???

Sadly, no. He passed away March 2002, which is around the time my grandma asked me if I would like to have the system and of course I said yes. Prior to him passing away, we would play it together when I'd go over to visit for holidays or other random occasions. The last time I played Combat (or any game) with him was probably Christmas 2000 or 2001 just before his health was going down.

Sadly, no. He passed away March 2002, which is around the time my grandma asked me if I would like to have the system and of course I said yes. Prior to him passing away, we would play it together when I'd go over to visit for holidays or other random occasions. The last time I played Combat (or any game) with him was probably Christmas 2000 or 2001 just before his health was going down.

Sad to hear this but it´s good to know that you own a very very special H6er. You don´t need to hook it up to get some fun out of it.......... :)

• 4 weeks later...

Sad to hear this but it´s good to know that you own a very very special H6er. You don´t need to hook it up to get some fun out of it.......... :)

Sean Very Nice System and it really cool you have the very original Controlers that I had to pay a fortune to

get in mint condition. Yes Those CX-10 Controler and Paddles are very hard to get in mint working condition.

Let just say I want perfect working CX-10 Controlers and in Mint Condition and I ended up paying a $185.00

just alone for the Joysticks. These are Original CX-10 from 1977 but not use hardly at all. Anyways like

I told you while I was in the Military my father threw out the Atari 2600 he had received from working

with Atari. Anyways I figure it had to have a very low Serial number,but that in the Past. I have had to

pay alot to get something like you have put together...I bought my deck,then my Joysticks, Then my Paddles,

and then the Power adapter(very hard to find one made in Cal. and not Japan). Then I purchased the original 1977

book then the TV switch Box,and the the original 1977 Manual,and then an original 1977 Box...

Let me tell you hold on to it because for me to put a complete original 1977 Atari in the Box has cost me a

small Fortune. This is because I only wanted 1977 Items and none could date from 1978.

I do have all original fist 9 games that did come out in 1977 and boy was that tough to do also.

Boxes for game are hard to fine. The Gate folded type.

Anyways you have the right ideal never sell it off pass it down to your kids because that is what I am doing with mine. I may not have the orginal one my dad received from Atari but at least I can give my Daughter the story

of her grandpa playing the Atari with me. Anyways I am only 4 years older than you. My daughter is young because

I had her very late in life and her mother died at a very young age due to a very bad car wreck. Another driver

hit my wife near Christmas time in 2006. It took all my family except my daughter. We lost grandparents and

so many other family members. Which included my wife. My daughter just turned 11 this year in December..

She was 7 going on 8 when she lost her mother,so that pretty young to loose a mother and grandparents.Also

other relatives.

Your Friend

Sean Also

Pretty strange to have the same name.