IGNORED

AspeQt: Yet another SIO2PC/APE clone

cyco130

Ray - does Aspeqt's 'F' client device return the server date/time as an ASCII string? It would be useful to also get the date/time as two 24-bit values (via a different SIO command, as per internal Sparta representation) as well if this is the case. An easily-written SDX driver on the A8 could then treat Aspeqt's date/time server as hardware clock registers and operate rather transparently.

Ray - does Aspeqt's 'F' client device return the server date/time as an ASCII string? It would be useful to also get the date/time as two 24-bit values (via a different SIO command, as per internal Sparta representation) as well if this is the case. An easily-written SDX driver on the A8 could then treat Aspeqt's date/time server as hardware clock registers and operate rather transparently.

Yes Jon, it does return the date/time as an ASCII string which is then updated via VSSETTD in SpartaDos 3.x, and via KD_SETTD in SDX.

And yes, they can be returned as 24 bit values for use with such a driver. One thing I am not sure about is whether such a driver would continuously poll AspeQt Date/Time server (does ULTIME.SYS continuously poll the U1MB clock?) or pull the values once at boot time. If the latter is the case then including AspeCL in AUTORUN.BAT file would currently provide the same results and would not occupy RAM unnecessarily.

Edited by atari8warez

One thing I am not sure about is whether such a driver would continuously poll AspeQt Date/Time server (does ULTIME.SYS continuously poll the U1MB clock?) or pull the values once at boot time. If the latter is the case then including AspeCL in AUTORUN.BAT file would currently provide the same results and would not occupy RAM unnecessarily.

Absolutely the same thing that occured to me. The existing tool is probably the best solution, then, although it would still be interesting to have the option of pulling the date/time in binary. The client device holds some pretty intriguing possibilities, for sure.

Update: v8.0.7

Here's another quick release, this one has the following changes:

version 0.8.7 (Jan 28, 2013)
* Updated Turkish translations
* Updated the AspeQt documentation
+ Added Folder Image boot support for MyDos, MyPicoDos and SpartaDos.
 AspeQt now offers an option to switch between those 4 different DOSes
 automatically. The user no longer needs to supply the required DOS files
 or the file containing the boot sectors ($boot.bin) as AspeQt includes
 them and switches from one DOS to another through the UI. The context menu
 (right clicking on a mounted folder image on D1:) will present a window with
 DOS selections. By choosing a DOS and clicking Apply on that window
 will switch DOSes and the next reboot of the Atari will boot selected DOS
 from the Folder Image. For details of the switching mechanism, the limitations
 of, and more, please see AspeQt documentation.
* Changed the color and boldness of the Folder Image names to visually
 differentiate them from other file images.

As usual Windows binaries and the source can be downloaded from here or from here

post-15627-0-73530900-1359451219_thumb.png

• Like 2

I know not many people read the documentation (and some don't write any ;-) ) so maybe posting the section related to Folder Images could help few more people understand how the switching DOSes on Folder Images work, and the limitations in their usage:

Folder Images

Folder images provide a similar function to the features variously named as “PC mirror’, “Simulated disk”, “Share point” etc. by other peripheral emulators. This is basically a simulated Atari disk. Instead of a disk image, you can mount a folder in your PC that contains some Atari files and Atari will see it as a disk with the same files in it.

Currently, the mounted folder will be seen as a standard DOS 2.0s disk and it’s sequantial access and read-only. Folder Images are compatible with AtariDOS, MyDOS, all versions of Spartados and SpartaDOS X. There may be issues with other DOS. The folder images are also bootable as of version 0.8.5, but since the folder image is a simulation of a standard DOS 2.0 disk, you can only boot into a DOS that is compatible with AtariDOS disk structure. There are two exceptions to this, first one is SpartaDOS, AspeQt will allow you to boot into a 3.2f version of SpartaDOS but there are some limitations. AspeQt will also allow you to boot into the standard version of MyPicoDOS 4.05. See the following section for details and limitations:

Folder boot details and limitations:

To boot your Atari with a Folder Image, first mount a PC folder to disk slot 1 (D1:). Once mounted, right-click on the Folder name and select Folder Boot Options from the menu, select the DOS you would like to boot and click Apply. make sure AspeQt is ready to receive commands from your Atari and finally turn your Atari ON, selected DOS will be booted. You must select a DOS boot option if you mounted a Folder Image for the first time and you want to boot your Atari from that folder whenever the folder is mounted. You normally only select the DOS option once for each Folder Image. The Folder will remain bootable with the same DOS between AspeQt sessions (for an exception to this see SpartaDOS 3.2f below).

Warning: AspeQt will copy the necessary DOS files into the mounted PC Folder to make it bootable. Do not keep any other DOS files (like dos.sys, dup.sys etc..) on that folder as they will be erased/replaced.

Note that you don't need to supply any DOS files, AspeQt supplies the files necessary to boot your computer. These DOS files are copyright of their respective owners, Atari8Warez and AspeQt distributes those files simply for the convenience of its users, with the understanding that they are either abandonware or public domain and are widely available for download through the internet. If you are the copyright holder of one or more of these files, and believe that distribution of these files constitutes a breach of your rights please contact Atari8Warez. We respect the rights of copyright holders and won't distribute copyrighted work without the rights holder's consent.

The following DOSes can be booted from a Folder Image:

• Atari DOS 2.5 AspeQt Folder images are fully compatible with this DOS, you can boot the DOS and load drivers and binary files (autorun.sys) during the boot process. AspeQt supplies the dos files (dos.sys, dup.sys) and the ramdisk driver (ramdisk.com). You can add your own autorun.sys file by copying the file into the folder $bootata which is located in AspeQt application directory. You can also use DOS 2.0 instead of 2.5 by simply replacing the dos.sys and dup.sys in $bootata folder with the ones from a DOS 2.0 disk.
  • MyDOS 4.5 This DOS is disk structure compatible with AtariDOS, so everything that's said for AtariDOS 2.5 above is also valid for MyDOS. Boot files folder for MyDOS is $bootmyd
  • MyPicoDOS 4.05 This game DOS is provided to support Folder Images which hold Atari games. You can quickly boot and start your games conveniently from a PC Folder. Only standard version of MyPicoDOS is provided and supported. When selecting MyPicoDos as your boot DOS there is an extra option on the menu to disable high speed SIO code built into this DOS. If checked, this option will instruct MyPicoDOS to run in normal speed. This may be necessary under certain configurations. One example is if you are using an Ultimate 1MB board on your Atari with high-speed OS enabled. MyPicoDOS used in high-speed mode will conflict with the high-speed OS on the Atari, so checking this option and booting and running MyPicoDOS in normal speed will solve this problem.

AspeQt will also automatically generate a piconame.txt file during the Folder Image boot process. So if you have game files with long file names they will be displayed with their full names when MyPicoDOS menu appears. piconame.txt file will only be created/updated when you boot, so if you add more game files to your PC folder during your MyPicoDOS session they will not show with long names until you reboot.
    Boot files folder for MyPicoDOS is $bootpic. it is not recommanded to modify this folder, unlike AtariDOS and MyDOS there are no customizations you can make for MyPicoDOS.
  • SpartaDOS 3.2f SpartaDOS is not compatible with AtariDOS. Its disk/file structure and boot scheme is completely different. So this DOS is only partly (and I would say rather crudely) supported. You will be able to boot SpartaDOS version 3.2f from a Folder Image with the following limitations:
    • To boot SpartaDOS from an AtariDOS structured Folder Image is an impossible task. So AspeQt uses some (not so elegant) tricks to coherce SpartaDOS into booting from an AtariDOS compatible Folder Image by giving it the impression that it's booting from a SpartaDOS formatted disk. Once the boot is completed AspeQt forces SpartaDOS to re-detect the Folder Image as an AtariDOS formatted disk so that it can display and manipulate the files within the folder. The mechanics of this scheme necessarly limits the boot proccess in the following ways:
      • You can not load drivers or run an autorun.bat file during the boot process
      • Once booted from, a Folder Image won't be bootable again until you right-click on the Folder Image name, select Folder Boot Options, select SpartaDOS 3.2f f and click Apply. This will reset the Folder Image boot files and will make the folder bootable once again.
      • You can not modify/delete files in the boot files folder $bootspa

[*]The restrictions and limitations may be lifted in the upcoming versions of AspeQt.

Edited by atari8warez
  • Like 1

Great idea. Can't wait to see and test it on the real machine.

Yeah, I like that myself too :) , very convenient and it works fine on my machine, actually I may further improve it to detect changes made to the PC folder so that it updates the piconame.txt automatically and without rebooting the Atari.

I am also hoping to have write capability for Folder Images with the next release. It will probably only work with AtariDOS type DOSes first with SpartaDOS coming later.... and ohhh! gotta figure out some way to make SpartaDOS boot permanent but working with the constraints of AtariDOS makes things more difficult.

Edited by atari8warez

atari 800xe, u1mb, stock os, sdx enabled, 1mb ram)

aspeqt:

COM1

DSR

D1: NON SDX ATR file

D9: SDX file (16mb)

system freeze

----------

when i umnount D1:. SDX 4.46 boots normal

then i try D9:, dir, system freeze..

post-23051-0-60111200-1359794312_thumb.jpg

yes, sio2pc rs232 works fine..

[Disk 1] Speed poll.
[Disk 1] command: $48, aux: $0020 NAKed. [x16]
[Disk 1] Get status.
[Disk 1] Speed poll. [x2]
[Disk 1] Get PERCOM block (ED Diskette (130k)).
[Disk 1] Read sector 1 (128 bytes).
[Disk 4] command: $3f, aux: $0000 ignored. [x16]
[Disk 3] command: $3f, aux: $0000 ignored. [x16]
[Disk 2] command: $3f, aux: $0000 ignored. [x16]
[Disk 1] Speed poll.
[Disk 1] command: $48, aux: $0020 NAKed. [x16]
[Device $00] command: $00, aux: $0030 ignored.
[Disk 1] Get status.
[Disk 1] Speed poll.

booting with q-meg is OK..

Edited by w1k

This looks like a SDX + SIO Speed issue, you said Atari boots fine with Q-Meg. That's probably because Q-Meg does not boot with SDX.

Try this again after changing the "High speed mode baud rate" in AspeQt settings to 19200 (I see you have it set to 57600).

See if it works that way, unfortunately I can not duplicate the problem on my end, so I have nothing to diagnose...

Interim Release:

Added Folder Image boot support for DOS XL and SmartDOS. Just download the archive and extract the contents into your AspeQt application directory.

This is only the Windows executable, I will commit the source to SF for anyone who is interested to compile it for other OS.

AspeQt v0.8.7 (interim).zip

Edited by atari8warez