IGNORED

IK+

pavros

I would like to present another build of IK+ (0270). The official project page will be updated only in new year but a xex is already prepared so I've decided to publish it yet before Christmas. Enjoy!

The release note:

1. Added sound track.

2. Slightly modified keyboard handler.

Functions of keys:

- Background screen:

N - Toggles night/day mode. Replaces changing sky and water color schemes which are in C64 version.

R - Change ripples (sun reflections) color scheme. Slightly different then in C64 version.

W - Change waves behaviour (4 possible algorithms). Exactly like in C64 version.

Q - Turns spiders animation on. Off by default. After pressing Q the next animal is always a spider.

E - Sets short time period between background animals. Default time period is longer. Switch not available in C64 version.

- Sound:

S - Toggles sound effects on/off.

T - Toggles sound track on/off.

V - Toggles high/low volume of sound track.

- Other:

D - Fires falling trousers.

Space - Pause. No way out of this state yet!

If key is pressed together with Control then corresponding switch is being turned off or set to default value.

Gameplay did not change. Press START to continue fight when it stops. Continuation possible up to 20000 points.

ikp_0270.zip

Edited by pavros
  • Like 6

How about "Transnational Karate+" or maybe even "Multinational Karate+"? :D

Or if you want to draw attention cheaply you can just change the players' colors a bit and name it "Interracial Karate+" :lol: In that case you won't probably get sued by the trademark/whatever owner but someone completely different.... :D :D

• Like 2

• 10 months later...

I'd like to inform about new IK+ build available on project page in Downloads section.

This information was also revealed in this thread.

In Downloads section on project page you can also find game's sound track as .sap and .xex file (see at the bottom).

Build 0284 changes:

1. Added gong and ball sounds (for 'deflecting balls' round).

2. Introduced NTSC compliance. It required disabling dolphin and double-bird background animations when music is on.

3. Corrected tempo of sound track (removed irregularities existing in original C64 player).

4. Keyboard handler temporarily enhanced for sound testing (keys B, G, F).

Full description of keys is on the project page.

New keys added in current build are:

B - (temporary) Fires ball sound.

G - (temporary) Fires gong sound.

F - (temporary) Increases gong's frequency.

Gameplay did not change. Press START to continue fight when it stops. Continuation possible up to 20000 points.

In NTSC mode fighter animation is slower. Turning music off helps a little.

Please test new build on real NTSC machine if anyone has it. I've only tested using emulators.

• Like 1

Hi, good to see you're stil working in it and new things are coming.

I always love the IK musics.

This is or not Rob Hubbard's original?

Anyone (a Musician opinion...) knows anything about origins of the IK and IK+ songs?

I never get a real prove nor explanations anywhere, just some people talking anbout it, like in IK C64 video at you Tube:

" *

This is my favorite Hubbard tune. There's some unnecessary looping and the shifts at 4:05 and 8:55 aren't very polished. I don't hold these details against the song since altogether it's one of the most progressive c64 tracks ever made. Very impressive. btw. If you haven't noticed yet, you can upload over 10min videos, the actual limit is just under 11min.

Manialt (há 1 ano)

Aye, besides the over-looping its an impressive tune. And ye, i just dicovered the other day :) thanks though.. The last part is just more looping so i didnt care, but still..

m0ngm4n (há 1 ano)

I played this game loads back when i was a kid, 4 player awesome fighting game! Which in my mind was the first :) 5/5!

Manialt (há 1 ano)

theres also International Karate + seems theres a big difference in the music, gonna put it on queue, not sure which one of them i played.

thuaners (há 9 meses)

i love this music :D brings back memories! great tune.. thanks for uploading!

tuhind (há 11 meses)

Love Rob Hubbard...however it sounds like the theme to Merry Christmas Mr Lawrence by Ryupchi Sakamoto. Rob's best tune is probably Zoids or LastV8

Jauly (há 1 mês)

isn't this an enhanced "cover" of forbidden colours by sylvain/sakamoto?

d0dge25 (há 1 mês)

One of the coolest games ever with one of Rob's best songs. Beauty in simplicity ... fighting in front of the Shinx ... xD

* "

And yes, I prefer the A8 Music!...

But discouver some curiousities/strange things:

Greetings.

José Pereira.

Hi, good to see you're stil working in it and new things are coming.

I always love the IK musics.

This is or not Rob Hubbard's original?

Anyone (a Musician opinion...) knows anything about origins of the IK and IK+ songs?

I never get a real prove nor explanations anywhere, just some people talking anbout it, like in IK C64 video at you Tube:

" *

This is my favorite Hubbard tune. There's some unnecessary looping and the shifts at 4:05 and 8:55 aren't very polished. I don't hold these details against the song since altogether it's one of the most progressive c64 tracks ever made. Very impressive. btw. If you haven't noticed yet, you can upload over 10min videos, the actual limit is just under 11min.

Manialt (há 1 ano)

Aye, besides the over-looping its an impressive tune. And ye, i just dicovered the other day :) thanks though.. The last part is just more looping so i didnt care, but still..

m0ngm4n (há 1 ano)

I played this game loads back when i was a kid, 4 player awesome fighting game! Which in my mind was the first :) 5/5!

Manialt (há 1 ano)

theres also International Karate + seems theres a big difference in the music, gonna put it on queue, not sure which one of them i played.

thuaners (há 9 meses)

i love this music :D brings back memories! great tune.. thanks for uploading!

tuhind (há 11 meses)

Love Rob Hubbard...however it sounds like the theme to Merry Christmas Mr Lawrence by Ryupchi Sakamoto. Rob's best tune is probably Zoids or LastV8

Jauly (há 1 mês)

isn't this an enhanced "cover" of forbidden colours by sylvain/sakamoto?

d0dge25 (há 1 mês)

One of the coolest games ever with one of Rob's best songs. Beauty in simplicity ... fighting in front of the Shinx ... xD

* "

And yes, I prefer the A8 Music!...

But discouver some curiousities/strange things:

Greetings.

José Pereira.

It seems Sakamoto, and the Music is from a 1983 Film:

Merry Christmas, Mr. Lawrence

wiki

I remember Sakamoto, Wim Mertens (today Night here in Lisbon), Enya and portuguese Rodrigo Leão. Great Artists, Musicians, songs to get calm, quiet, piece.

And the song of Sakamoto in YouTube:

IK Music from Sakamoto?

José Pereira.

In NTSC mode fighter animation is slower. Turning music off helps a little.

Please test new build on real NTSC machine if anyone has it. I've only tested using emulators.

Tested using a stock NTSC 130xe. Gameplay seems to be the same as in emulation. Slow with music, some improvement without music.

The game slows down more when fish are jumping. Additionally, some momentary sprite corruption can seen when this happens (depending on the amount of action, how many guys are standing, etc.).

I had one crash mid-game where the screen displayed only gray/black/white characters.