IGNORED

Atari didn't attend 1985 CES show but did attend 1985 PCW show (London)

And Atari even had a stand there...which i guess they paid for (unfortunately i did'nt go), I think the Atari section of the PCW show took the form of the 'Atari village' a successful format that Atari used over the next few PCW shows (i remember the one they had at the 1986/7 and 1988 shows)...even commodore tried copying the format

I guess they used the PCW show as the international launch of the ST series as well as the first sitings of the propsed ST cd device (which i think was called CDAR)

Interesting that Atari would use the PCW show and not the CES show as their launchpad for their products in 1985, i can see the logic behind this though, namely the CES show isn't specifically aimed at the computer/gaming market and also the CES show is US centric, whereas the PCW show is and was more International and infact during it's time was the most successful mass market, multi format computer fair/show in the world, sometimes attracting in excess of 100,000 visitors in a day (remembering this is back in the early-mid/late 80's)

And Atari even had a stand there...which i guess they paid for (unfortunately i did'nt go), I think the Atari section of the PCW show took the form of the 'Atari village' a successful format that Atari used over the next few PCW shows (i remember the one they had at the 1986/7 and 1988 shows)...even commodore tried copying the format

I guess they used the PCW show as the international launch of the ST series as well as the first sitings of the propsed ST cd device (which i think was called CDAR)

Interesting that Atari would use the PCW show and not the CES show as their launchpad for their products in 1985, i can see the logic behind this though, namely the CES show isn't specifically aimed at the computer/gaming market and also the CES show is US centric, whereas the PCW show is and was more International and infact during it's time was the most successful mass market, multi format computer fair/show in the world, sometimes attracting in excess of 100,000 visitors in a day (remembering this is back in the early-mid/late 80's)

Carmel, again I have to ask WTF you are smoking. Atari Corp. was at the January 1985 CES. That's where they first demonstrated the 130 ST, the 65 and 130XE, the Amy enhanced 65XEM, etc. At the Summer CES they showed off the 260ST and one of the first CD-ROMs for personal computers, the CDAR504.

Wgungfu, not wishing to argue....try looking at item 36 on the first pg, of the AA trivia section

you may spot the following

Atari was not even present at the 1985 Consumer Electronics Show. 4/5/2002

that is my reference

if you want to argue, argue with the source of my reference

Edited by carmel_andrews
  • Like 1

Wgungfu, not wishing to argue....try looking at item 36 on the first pg, of the AA trivia section

that is my reference

www.atarimagazines.com/v5n11/ataricorp.html

I guess this article is make believe then. :ponder:

Allan

that is my reference

No, I'll stick with the original point - you constantly do this. Take your half or poorly researched material and run off with grandiose tangential threads like this one where you pontificate some outlandish alternate Atari reality as if it were fact.

It would have been very simple for you to use google to find things like:

http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=PMctAAAAIBAJ&sjid=w4cFAAAAIBAJ&pg=1586,4446507&dq=atari+ces&hl=en

and

http://www.atarimagazines.com/startv3n1/threeyearsofst.html

Then that portion of AA obviously needs to be updated ...

Hey, and weren't the 2600 Jr. and 7800 also displayed at one of the 1985 CES's?

• Like 1

Commodore LCD? :o My Atari Portfolio doesn't seem so 'cool' now!

That type of LCD screen was pretty common at the time. The Apple IIc had one in '84, the Apricot, Magnum Dulmont, Epson PX8, Husky Hunter, Sharp PC5000, NEC PC8401A, Convergence Technologies Workslate (1982), the TRS-80 Model 100 (1983) and subsequent computers in the series, etc.

Edited by wgungfu

that is my reference

No, I'll stick with the original point - you constantly do this. Take your half or poorly researched material and run off with grandiose tangential threads like this one where you pontificate some outlandish alternate Atari reality as if it were fact.

It would have been very simple for you to use google to find things like:

http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=PMctAAAAIBAJ&sjid=w4cFAAAAIBAJ&pg=1586,4446507&dq=atari+ces&hl=en

and

http://www.atarimagazines.com/startv3n1/threeyearsofst.html

If you read some his current threads you will see that he isn't even an Atari fan anyway so is likely to be wrong. As all he owns he a few A8's which he nonchalantly proclaims "Not even sure if they work" :ponder:

Edited by The_Laird

• 3 weeks later...

I think that one was vapourware...

In any case, early LCDs tended to be utter rubbish.

Not vapourware just a finished prototype that was never released AND it was a custom glass LCD screen made by a Commodore owned company. It was actually the best LCD of its type available at the time too technically in magazine previews by such distinguished and experienced hardware reviewers as Guy Kewney for Personal Computer World magazine.

You can see the machine here in the flesh

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5ENMeGSK0M

Carmel ---

Can't you check your facts before you go off on your nonsense like this, here is Atari at the 1985 CES... you are completely, utterly and as usual - totally wrong.

Curt

post-23-126383153026_thumb.jpg

post-23-126383153681_thumb.jpg

post-23-126383154138_thumb.jpg

post-23-126383154609_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

If anyone can find it, the PCW show launch was covered by ITV Database with an interview with Jack. Sadly nobody seems to have this show but I remember it being quite a detailed look at the XE and ST range of machines on show.

Do you realise this is on YouTube?

It's one of my favourite videos - especially the ending :-)

didn't atari skip one summer CES show.

and carmel didn't specify what CES show it was in the 80's I think there was the winter and summer

He said '85. Atari Corp. was at both the Winter and Summer ones that year. He was wrong. Period.

I miss the summer CES in chiacgo though, I'm glad I have the badge from the last summer ces.

back to topic: he said he got the information from AA, so in term Atari age is wrong not him.

Now get back to work you bum

back to topic: he said he got the information from AA, so in term Atari age is wrong not him.

The source he used was already established. That has nothing to do with it not being another one of Carmel's normal out of touch rants where he takes something poorly researched and pushes it that extra mile.

stfu2.jpg?w=330&h=320

Edited by wgungfu

The source he used was already established. That has nothing to do with it not being another one of Carmel's normal out of touch rants where he takes something poorly researched and pushes it that extra mile.

stfu2.jpg?w=330&h=320

geez can't take a joke can ya.

and that line was taken from mad bodies :D

Carmel ---

Can't you check your facts before you go off on your nonsense like this, here is Atari at the 1985 CES... you are completely, utterly and as usual - totally wrong.

Pics or it didn't happen!

Oh...

:D

geez can't take a joke can ya.

and that line was taken from mad bodies :D

Next time pick a quote from a more well known awful game to avoid social awkwardness. :P

• Like 2