IGNORED

Jaguar II tech ref.

ctsnlc

Never mind. Found a posting of the link on alt.atari-jaguar.discussion.

Below is a copy of the newsgroup post.

Glenn

Hello everybody!

As promised by John Mathieson (the father of the Jaguar) in his

interview, he did some investigations in his archives to find the

Jaguar 2 (codename "Midsummer") Technical Reference Manual.

He found it and send it to me as a gift. I decided to give this great

document to the Atari Communauty :)

You can download it (.PDF format and zipped) at the bottom of my

interview of John, here :

http://www.chez.com/toxicmag/real/articles...s/mathieson.htm

Its funny it appears when it was opened in Word to be PDF generated the header dates were changed - it appears this was last updated 2 days ago :)

Anyhow,

After reading the specs how would this compete with the PS2, Gamebox or Xbox since those would be the consoles Atari would be up against?

Actually, this system would have come out in time to compete with the Nintendo64, the 3DO M2 (also only prototypes exist) and later in it's life cycle (assuming success), the Dreamcast. Of course it would have been competing against the Saturn and Playstation too. This was scheduled for a X-mas '96 release, just like N64, fully backward compatible with the Jag&Jagcd. The recent interview with Matheison that a post here links to explains some of this too. Of course, given Atari's release date announcements and actual release dates margin for delay/error, it may have been sometime in '97 maybe even the holiday season, before it was released and the Jag/CD would have filled the role of Atari "flagship" for another year...

Too bad it never saw the light of day!

Yep, the full spec version that was described in the Tech Ref manual has probably never saw the light of day, but a developer board did get produced. Here's a link to some info about the COBWEB developer board:

http://www.atarimuseum.com/videogames/jaguar/jag2.html

Its funny it appears when it was opened in Word to be PDF generated the header dates were changed - it appears this was last updated 2 days ago :)

That's what John Mathieson did when he sent me the Jaguar Tech Ref manual for the Jaguar One. He reprinted the manual, probably from Word, into a PDF document on 29 Feb 00 (leap day!). He did the same here, he reprinted the manual from his master copy of the specs document to a PDF on 26 Oct 02.

Regards,

Glenn

bah, whenever I read stuff like that I go all misty eyed and spend the evening throwing dart's, knives and rocks at pictures of Tramiel :)

Great, but saddening :(

I want a Jag 2.. someone invent a parellel dimension traveling machine where I am head of Atari PLEASE! :)

Hey LinkoVitch. I'm lucky enough to have a Jaguar II proto that I picked up from Clint Thompson. Mine isn't working (at the moment), but I hope to fix that soon. I also have an extra Tom II Chip as well as an extra Midsummer Chip. Good stuff! The tech reference manual looks awesome, but I of course printed it at work and forgot to bring it home. Oh well, tomorrow night for sure....

Jason

my list of people I need to kill and steal their atari stuff grows :)

Seriously. Makes you think twice about bragging rights. I always want to say, "Yeah, I have a one of a kind xyz prototype, and two large dogs."

So anyone got friends in a chip fab plant? :)

Actually I think there are a bunch of people here in the semiconductor industry. Too bad I don't still work for Nanofab.

Eric

spose worst case we could build the whole thing out of 74xx and 40xx chips... ads could read.

"The new Atari Jaguar II, it's awesome" and then in small print.. "please ensure you have at least 12'x12'x6' area for hardware and technitian installation of Jaguar II, also contact local energy providers for power upgrade.. AIr con is recommended" :)

build it on Stripboard :)

my list of people I need to kill and steal their atari stuff grows :)

jammy git :)

Be cool if we were able (as the Atari Community I mean) to finish off and build it.  That would be ace...

So anyone got friends in a chip fab plant? :)

Did I mention my 2 "big" dogs. Well, ok, that was a lie, I have 2 shi-tzu's, I don't think they'll give you any trouble.....

I have some "friends" that are going to work on getting my Jag 2 working, I'll post any success on Jag II and here.

Jason

• 2 weeks later...

I'd guess it would be for diagnostics. You can get similar things for PC's a card that plugs into the PCI bus, either with an array of LED's or a liquid crystal digital display. Depending on the lights lit, number displayed corresponds to an error or process. So you can quickly see if your PC is hanging at say the IDE init. I guess this would be something similar allowing the engineers to quickly diagnose faults?

just a wild stab in the dark there :)

I'd guess it would be for diagnostics.  You can get similar things for PC's a card that plugs into the PCI bus, either with an array of LED's or a liquid crystal digital display.  Depending on the lights lit, number displayed corresponds to an error or process.  So you can quickly see if your PC is hanging at say the IDE init.  I guess this would be something similar allowing the engineers to quickly diagnose faults?

just a wild stab in the dark there :)

Why does this quoted message keep showing up as "new" every time I log on? What's up with that?

• 5 years later...

Thanks,

I've seen the netlist ( it was mentioned in the virtual jaguar source ) - but I didn't realise the printed doc had been online - ( The internet is wonderfull sometimes, I've been able to download newer versions of the jaguar docs than the ones I had from when I worked on the platform )

Thanks,

I've seen the netlist ( it was mentioned in the virtual jaguar source ) - but I didn't realise the printed doc had been online - ( The internet is wonderfull sometimes, I've been able to download newer versions of the jaguar docs than the ones I had from when I worked on the platform )

I beleive Version 8 is the last out there....in case you dont have it....here.

jag_v8.zip