IGNORED

4 Player Simultaneous Games

therealbountybob

I'm thinking of digging out the old Atari 800 and was wondering if there are any other 4 player games that have all 4 players on screen at once :?:

Here's what I have:

Asteroids

Dandy

Castle Crisis

Warlords

Killa Cycle

Junkyard Racing

Mule (when trading at least!)

Worms (sort of)

Think these are:

EMI Soccer

Gamma Soccer

Atari Hockey

Atari Basketball

Fandal's Astro4Road (but I cannot get it to run properly on my 130XE - anyone played this on real hardware?)

:)

But not all of the games Pepax mentions are patches. Some are specifically written for the Multijoy interface. And Ice Hockey was never finished because of a nasty bug.

Mathy

Yes I know. That's why I emphasized the word "patched". :-) The search function on Fandal's site returns exact matches only, not the entries with multijoy and patched in the description, so searching for multijoy patch gave me too few results.

Thanks for the suggestions, keep them coming (I'll send the full list to that Atari FAQ guys). I had people round (non Atari gamers) and the ones that seemed to get their attention were Astro4 Road, Dandy and by far the two most popular were Castle Crisis and Killa Cycle :) Astro4 Road has the option to turn multi-joy off (to work on an 800 as 4 player), do any other m-joy games have this feature?

Astro4 Road has the option to turn multi-joy off (to work on an 800 as 4 player), do any other m-joy games have this feature?

Look at Fandal's site. Astro4 Road and Shot'em All say "supports multijoy". The others say "requires multijoy". I'd trust the descriptions. :)

You can also check with the authors: FlorianD, Raster, Mad Butscher and Schmutzpuppe

IMHO it would be nice to play Multris on an 800 if it were supported.

Astro4 Road has the option to turn multi-joy off (to work on an 800 as 4 player), do any other m-joy games have this feature?

Look at Fandal's site. Astro4 Road and Shot'em All say "supports multijoy". The others say "requires multijoy". I'd trust the descriptions. :)

You can also check with the authors: FlorianD, Raster, Mad Butscher and Schmutzpuppe

IMHO it would be nice to play Multris on an 800 if it were supported.

The only one that says Supports multijoy is Astro4 Road :|

Yes Multris on the 800 would be awesome - I'm sure fandal has a zillion other requests for atari projects so I'll not mention it ;)

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Could you theoretically make an 8-player game with all 4 controller ports using paddles?

Yes Atari's Super Breakout is 8 player!

p.s. Found another 4 player sim - Page 6 Magazine Issue 39 Mouse Party link here You need to press Select and Start together to put it into 4 player mode - it defaults to 2 players. Not tried this one yet!

I've emailed the 8-Bit FAQ people to update their list!

Could you theoretically make an 8-player game with all 4 controller ports using paddles?

Or,

for the completely insane: Connect four multijoy16`s to an Atari 400 or 800 for up to 4x 16 = 64 players.

The only thing required then is a game for 64 players via four multijoy`s - how about Tron ?!?

Hmm, regarding A8 joystick buttons, could a paddle value be used for a joystick button ?!? If so, doing something completely insane again, one could put up to 256 joystick buttons (paddle values from -127 to + 127 and the original joystick button) on a joystick. That would be enough buttons for any game I guess...

-Andreas Koch.

Or,

for the completely insane: Connect four multijoy16`s to an Atari 400 or 800 for up to 4x 16 = 64 players.

The only thing required then is a game for 64 players via four multijoy`s - how about Tron ?!?

Hmm, regarding A8 joystick buttons, could a paddle value be used for a joystick button ?!? If so, doing something completely insane again, one could put up to 256 joystick buttons (paddle values from -127 to + 127 and the original joystick button) on a joystick. That would be enough buttons for any game I guess...

-Andreas Koch.

Well, the paddle values "only" go from 0 to 228, and it seems that many machines have trouble keeping a steady reading at one value. Realistically though, 114 buttons could be done per paddle input. I would say that is plenty!

Astrowarriors by Apogee exists in a four-player simultaneous version (patched by Fandal).

Sadly, no 400/800 4-player version seems to exist or I am too stupid to find out how to change the number of players.

EDIT: I was - just pressing "p" changes the number from 2 to 3 or 4!

BTW: this is a highly recommended multi-player game!

Thorsten

Edited by Thorsten Günther