IGNORED

1984 articles on Xante, Romox & Micro-Mate

orangest

While doing some cleaning out, I found an issue of Video Review magazine from 1984. Flipping through, I came across this page with articles about the retail downloading of game data. I'd never heard of the Atari-Activision joint venture to crack down on downloading, or the Coleco-AT&T joint venture; the picture of the Romox unit was what caught my eye. Also thought it was funny that they had an article about the Micro-Mate and Prom Blaster on the same page. Also, anyone have a Cumma unit?

SCAN0061.jpg

• Like 4

• 5 years later...
  • 3 months later...

Wireless downloads in 1984. Yet another thing snuffed out by the aftermath of the industry crash. When Nolan Bushnell said that we lost out on a good 10-15 years of innovation due to the industry crash, he wasn't kidding. Add to that another good 10-15 years of promising start ups that were snuffed out by venture capitalists scared of Microsoft ruining their investments, it's no wonder we don't have personal jetpacks or flying cars today. :)

I wonder if there was any discussion of merging Activision with Atari Consumer during this time...

• Like 2