IGNORED

Capcom's Whining: A Response

vdub_bobby

So Capcom has been in the news recently, talking about their lack of success on the Wii.

http://kotaku.com/5440909/capcoms-france-boss-the-future-is-on-ps3-and-360

While Seux says the Wii is "still an important part of sales," he calls it "very much a family [console] with low attachment rates."

"This is the year of the emergence of so-called 'new console generation'," Seux concludes. "So for us, Capcom, the future is the PlayStation 3 and the Xbox 360."

A few followups here:

http://kotaku.com/5442443/capcom-try-to-back-away-from-anti+wii-comments

http://kotaku.com/5443726/in-a-twist-it-was-capcoms-cheerful-wii-game-that-flopped

I'd just like to address this perception in the popular gaming press, fed by quotes from industry execs who should know better, that 3rd party games can't sell on the Wii. (All sales numbers are from vgchartz.com, except for the PS2 Okami numbers, which are from Wikipedia.)

First of all, that perception isn't true. There are lots of 3rd party best-sellers on the Wii. Yes, Nintendo has the top 10 or so slots on the best-seller lists, but (1) they are one of the best software companies in the world and (2) they put all their best talent and focus on the Wii; they don't devote any time or money to developing for or porting to the PS3 or 360. So are you surprised?

But below the top 1st-party games you have plenty of best-sellers:

Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock has sold over 4M copies. It outsold the X360 version and the PS3 version.

Carnival Games sold over 3M copies.

Guitar Hero: World Tour sold over 3M copies. Again, it outsold the X360 and PS3 versions.

LEGO Star Wars sold over 3M copies, again outselling other consoles' versions.

EA Sports Active has sold over 2M copies, competing directly with Wii Fit.

Other 2M+ sellers: Deca Sports, Sonic and the Secret Rings, and Game Party

Games that sold 1M+: all three Rayman Raving Rabbids games, My Fitness Coach, LEGO Indiana Jones, MySims, High School Musical: Sing It!, RE4, Big Beach Sports, Star Wars: The Force Unleashed (which sold comparably to the X360/PS3 versions), LEGO Batman, Shaun White Snowboarding (which easily outsold the X360/PS3 versions), Rock Band, Tiger Woods 08, etc. etc.

The common thread here is: family friendly content, high-quality development, and well-known brands. LEGO...Star Wars...Shaun White...Guitar Hero...etc. There are some games that aren't well done, or aren't family friendly, or aren't well-known brands, but there aren't many and there are very few that don't have at least two of those factors.

Now, with that in mind, let's look specifically at Capcom's games. They complain that they haven't had success - which is true - and, unsurprisingly, they seek to blame others for their misfortune. Let's take a closer look:

Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition - sold 1.67M

A well done, well received port of a very strong franchise. Sold reasonably well.

Zack & Wiki: Quest for Barbaros' Treasure - sold 0.38M

A well done, well received game. However - it is an unknown (new) IP and a very niche genre. As far as I can tell, there have been no (as in zero) point-and-click puzzle/adventure games released on a disc for any of the other current-gen consoles. Are you surprised that it didn't sell better? It has almost everything going against it: unknown IP and a tiny genre. The Wiimote is well-suited for this kind of gameplay, and so the Wii has seen a lot of them (and they are still popular on the PC). But look at the sales for them - it is definitely a niche market: Nancy Drew sold 0.07M, Cate West sold 0.02M, the (poorly reviewed) CSI games have sold 0.46M together, Sam & Max sold 0.11M, The Spiderwick Chronicles sold 0.08M. When you look at how these types of games do in general, then Z&W looks pretty good. It's basically the best-selling game in that genre. And Capcom complains?

Resident Evil: The Umbrella Chronicles - sold 1.32M

A strong brand, reasonably well-done game (gamerankings: 75%). It is a bit of a niche game, but it is well-suited for the Wii's controls. So it sold well.

Ōkami - sold 0.28M

A very well-done port of a 2-year old PS2 game. Critics loved it, but it didn't sell real well on the PS2 (~0.30M). So it sold 300K copies on the most popular console of the last generation, and it sold 300K copies on the most popular console of the current generation. Capcom should be glad they were able to match the PS2 sales with a 2-year old game.

We Love Golf! - sold 0.14M

Capcom shows excellent business sense :roll:, foreshadowing future decisions, by trying to enter the very crowded Wii golf genre, competing against Wii Sports, Tiger Woods, several minigolf games, and two golf games from Tecmo. What do they bring to a crowded field? A mediocre (gamerankings: 73%), unknown/new IP. :ponder:

Dead Rising: Chop Till You Drop - sold 0.20M

Shoddy port (gamerankings: 62%) of a year-old Xbox 360 game.

Spyborgs - sold 0.04M

Poorly done (gamerankings: 66%) - notice a pattern? - and an unknown (new) IP. Wow I am so shocked that it didn't sell well. :roll:

Resident Evil Archives: Resident Evil - sold 0.13M

Resident Evil Archives: Resident Evil Zero - sold 0.08M (in one month)

I'll group these together: mediocre (gamerankings: 73% and 64%) and ancient ports. RE is, what, 15 years old? RE0 is 7 years old. These are just cheap, desperate cash-ins.

Resident Evil: The Darkside Chronicles - sold 0.28M (in two months)

Capcom continues to enter insanely crowded markets. We're getting flooded with RE titles, aren't we? Anyway: (1) niche genre (2) that has been absolutely saturated. Two years ago, when Umbrella Chronicles came out, this was perhaps an untapped market. Since then, we've seen two House of the Dead games, Dead Space Extraction, two NERF-N-Strike games, and their own RE: UC hit the market, I'm not sure that there is much of a market anymore for these kinds of games. Capcom should be glad they've sold as many as they have.

To sum up: Capcom has released a collection of ports, niche games into saturated genres, and poorly done new IPs. Are you shocked that they haven't sold better?

By contrast, Capcom has released, for the Xbox 360: new, very well done additions to the Resident Evil, Street Fighter, and Devil May Cry franchises. The new IP have also been mostly big-budget and very well done: Dead Rising and Lost Planet.

Also by contrast, look at Mega Man 9, which by all accounts has sold very well: It isn't a niche genre (see New SMB Wii for evidence to the contrary), it is a very strong brand (hence the '9'), and it was very well done. If Capcom could do that for a disc release, it would likely sell well.

Edited by vdub_bobby

They fail on the Wii because they WANT to fail on the Wii. They are so obsessed with the clock speed and polygon count of a game console that they can't see beyond raw horsepower, and refuse to take advantage of the Wii's unique strengths. So they bury the system in crap, doing their best to sabotage it so they can get back to their tired third-person shooters with pretty graphics.

They fail on the Wii because they WANT to fail on the Wii. They are so obsessed with the clock speed and polygon count of a game console that they can't see beyond raw horsepower, and refuse to take advantage of the Wii's unique strengths. So they bury the system in crap, doing their best to sabotage it so they can get back to their tired third-person shooters with pretty graphics.

I don't know that I necessarily buy this. Why would Capcom want to fail at something? I kind of tend to think that a lot of factors combine to explain why they haven't put out any AAA titles for the Wii, or really even tried.

Some speculative reasons:

-Superstar game designers want to make bigger and better worlds. Obviously, you could release a game with a world as immersive as GTA:SA for the Wii but, naturally enough, they want to make GTAIV and GTAV, which maybe couldn't be fully realized on the Wii.

-Its the job of the bean counters, of course, to tell the game designers to shove it and do what they're told, but I really think the business execs at most major game studios have massively failed to figure out the Wii. Actually, their first mistake was thinking that there was anything to "figure" out. Nintendo has succeeded with: Super Mario Galaxy, which is just a AAA next-gen version of Super Mario 64; Mario Kart Wii, which is just a AAA next-gen version of Mario Kart Double Dash; Zelda: Twilight Princess, which is just a AAA next-gen version of Zelda: OOT; Metroid Prime 3, which is just a AAA next-gen version of Metroid Prime. They also correctly saw the market for minigame compilations, but they've been there for a while already, with Mario Party, and they also correctly saw the market for fitness "games," but that hasn't been so hard of a success to duplicate; see EA Sports Active and My Fitness Coach numbers above.

But which major game studios have consistently come out with AAA next-gen versions of their franchises for the Wii? They throw underbaked and half-assed leftovers at the Wii and then wonder what happened.

If Capcom had come out with top-notch next-gen versions of RE, Viewtiful Joe, Street Fighter, Okami, for the Wii then they would be looking at a string of successes. But they didn't and blaming Nintendo, the Wii, or Wii owners is just weak buck-passing.

Edited by vdub_bobby

[..] naturally enough, they want to make GTAIV and GTAV, which maybe couldn't be fully realized on the Wii.

I think that's the case for a number of AAA titles on other platforms that can't be made. And especially the case for Dead Rising on the Wii - the system simply does not have anywhere near the grunt to make the game what it originally was, and therefore it sucked as it was destined too from day one. I don't know why people utterly fail to acknowledge amazingly obvious things like that...

The way third-parties make video games for the Wii reminds me of how kids do chores before running out to play... they invest as little effort as possible to get to the fun stuff. I'm kind of tired of that attitude, frankly. The Wii is no Xbox 360, but it can still paint a pretty picture and can be a very effective game system when properly utilized. Game companies just don't know how to do that, and don't want to find out.

It's vexing that third parties will release one or two lackluster games, then shout "There, are you happy now?" and head for the door when their games don't sell a million copies. They're not being realistic. They try to squeeze a round block into a square hole, then stamp their feet and throw a tantrum when they realize (as anyone with a brain could) that it was impossible.

The sad thing is that Capcom was one of the better third-party developers on the Wii before they adopted this defeatist attitude. Zack and Wiki is the template for what people SHOULD be doing with the Wii, and although the original Resident Evil titles were gun games, they were still very good gun games.

Fortunately, it may not be the end... the French Capcom representative who made those comments was reprimanded by Capcom's US division, and Capcom is releasing an enhanced version of Tatsunoko vs. Capcom with new characters. Although Capcom's support for the Wii won't be as strong as it was at launch, it will get some support.

As a Wii owner (and until Christmas that's the only console I owned other than my 2600) I have been both frustrated and dumbfounded for three years as to why good games don't seem to be made very often for the machine. And what I find even more confusing is if the hardware limitations of the Wii are the reason, then why were awesome looking and awesome playing games so plentiful for the previous generation?

Why were there a string of Burnout titles for the PS2 and original XBox and yet on Gametrailers TV, the lead programmer for Criterion Games laughed when Geoff Keighley asked him if any Burnout games might be made for the Wii?

Why can Resident Evil 4 be made, and made extremely well, for the Wii but a downgraded version of Dead Space can't (I realize there are rumors now that this will change)?

When asked why the original Rock Band was not out for the Wii, why did Harmonix say they can't do downloadable content and yet mysteriously they eventually could for Rock Band 2?

Why is Capcom having a hard time getting support from Nintendo to handle online multiplayer for Tastunoko vs Capcom, particularly why are Nintendo so seemingly perplexed that a developer even wants to bother doing online?

Clearly, the view out there is that the Wii is not worth making good games for anymore. Some have gone so far as to say the iPhone is more powerful, a claim I really have a hard time believing.

My real question to you all is, is it too late now? All I ever hear on gaming sites, on TV shows, and podcasts is that for most gamers, both cynical jaded ones (Drunken Gamer's Radio, Destructoid) as well as sincere fair ones (XPlay, Reviews on the Run), their Wii consoles just sit and collect dust now.

If a flood of top quality 10 out of 10 games were released into the Wii library, would anyone really buy them? The reputation of the machine has so tarnished now I seriously doubt anyone would.

Edited by ComputerSpaceFan

One thing that definitely haunts the Wii is the fact that shit software sells on the system fairly well. Possibly not blockbuster type sales, but if you can throw a little development cash at some throwaway crap game and have it move a fair amount of units (comparatively to investment), that's not incentive to a software house to shell out real bucks and risk the return.

No Wii owner here, but I do appreciate the console from a nostalgic point of view-- they're the only console maker left from back in the day, and I really want good things for them.

Looking at the comments, the way things have been done with the Wii up to this point there area few observations I'd like to make:

Manufacturers seem to be treating the Wii as an equal and then having to "dumb down" high end PS3/360 titles to work on it, and that doesn't work out., the games appear to be bad "othr versions."

Okay, one observation, that'll be it. imho the real thinking would be to focus on having Wii games that are not ports from soemthing else but their own games in their own rights. I'll clarify.

It's a great platform, with some really interesting features. If those features could be capitalized on instead of comparing to the PS3/360 then it would be a more than great platform. Maybe the Wii could be considered its own genre?? That would be really great, as companies like Capcom and whomever else can have a Wii division, seperate from the rest of the games they make.

From a programming/networking point of view, the Wii is the platform but the programs are for something else, which is making it not work well. Passable to say this is a Thing that is Released, but not a shining example of anything.

I'd like to compare to early windows and DOS. Programs written for a pure DOS environment work extremely well when on a box with ONLY DOS on it. Run that same program in a DOS window while running Windows at the same time, the thing was laggy, ran slow and gave weird errors almost all the time! The specific program I used and am referring is PowerPoint for DOS. Ran great as long as it was ONLY DOS running at the same time.

Hope this makes sense, it does to me. The Wii can be considered its own thing, and really wish the thing was not expected to run PS3/360 titles. There it will fail (and the older ports, too, of PS2 titles, I was like WTF???)

Nathan

Edited by nathanallan

It would help if Capcom would market some of their great games. Okami is amazing, but I had to hear about it 3rd party from a friend recommendation. Market it to me, try the television, I watch that.

I agree with the consensus that most game developers are a bit lazy when porting to the Wii. Tomb Raider: Underworld is one of the biggest disappointments I have had on the Wii. It's like half of a great game. And for no real reason. The game is beautiful, but so short it's like a demo. Since the Wii isn't just like every other console out there, it takes a little more work to program for, so instead of doing the work the run off a quick and dirty port. I say this because when the work is done, the games are usually exceptional.

Sad really, because some top notch developers could really shine on the Wii.

If a flood of top quality 10 out of 10 games were released into the Wii library, would anyone really buy them? The reputation of the machine has so tarnished now I seriously doubt anyone would.

Yes all the 10 out 10 games will be bought. Also your dead wrong about the Wii having a bad rep, the Wii has the best rep of any console in many, many moons.

The issue with game producers is, the Wii has like twice the Wii units in consumers living rooms, therefor having twice the consumers, but doesn't sell twice the games when a HUGE release on all 3 platforms comes out.

That's a problem.

You either develop a kick ass game for the Wii and the Wii only (Which more more than likely fail) or you move on.

Face it, the majority of Wii owners could give a crap less about decent games.

Maybe thank Wii Sports and Wii Fit for that?

(I personally know 2 households that bought a Wii for Wii Fit...you probably do to, x that by everyone here)

It's a lot.

That's the downside to getting non-gamers interested in game consoles.

OMG, this non-gamers bit is getting old. A person who buys a video game console is buying it to play it so they are a video game player. If games on the shelves are not worth buying thats not cause someone is a "non-gamer" it's cause they are not foolish with their money.

Ōkami - sold 0.28M

A very well-done port of a 2-year old PS2 game. Critics loved it, but it didn't sell real well on the PS2 (~0.30M).

Okami Wii is rushed garbage, I've yet to see a game with worse Wii controls. I found it totally insulting when the controls were actually the only spot they had to put some effort into and none of it worked.

I think I once spent 15 minutes just to erase a monster from a list and I don't think a single drawing magic worked on the first try during the 15 hours I sank into it. Add in incredible tiresome waggle combat.

That's not even considering the pig-ugly "this is art" graphics, which probably made most gamers avoid it on the PS2 originally...

The issue with game producers is, the Wii has like twice the Wii units in consumers living rooms, therefor having twice the consumers, but doesn't sell twice the games when a HUGE release on all 3 platforms comes out.

Total Wiis sold: 65M

Total 360+PS3 sold: 68M

So if Wii owners are supporting the Wii, we should see Wii sales about equal to PS3+360 sales.

Let's go to the tape:

The Beatles: Rock Band. Simultaneous (or close to it) release on all 3 platforms.

WII: 1.32M

360+PS3: 0.86M+0.59M = 1.45M

LEGO Star Wars

Wii: 3.25M

360+PS3: 1.44M+1.14M = 2.58M

Tiger Woods 10

Wii: 0.71M

360+PS3: 0.49M+0.46M = 0.95M

Ghostbusters

Wii: 0.33M

360+PS3: 0.44M+0.52M = 0.96M

LEGO Indiana Jones

Wii: 1.56M

360+PS3: 3.50M+0.63M = 4.13M

Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock

Wii: 4.37M

360+PS3: 4.34M+1.97M = 6.31M

Guitar Hero 5

Wii: 0.88M

360+PS3: 0.79M+0.63M = 1.42M

The thing is, there hasn't been a game like RE5, GTAIV, or Call of Duty that has released on all three platforms at once. But if you look at the games that have, for most of them the Wii version sells quite respectably for being owned by a bunch of non-gamers. :ponder:

Maybe the capabilities of the Wii are so different from the 360/PS3 that there isn't a AAA title that can be simultaneously released on all 3 platforms - but the flip side of that is this: no 3rd-party publisher has released a AAA title for the Wii.

It's almost laughable - how can I take Capcom seriously when the best new game (not a 2-yr old port) they've released for the Wii is, no slight intended, Zack & Wiki. Or EA's whining when their best is Boom Blox Bash Party. "I don't understand why we haven't had a big hit, we went all in with a killer action puzzle game." :lol:

When a big publisher puts their AAA team on a big-budget, AAA Wii title and it flops, then I'll be all ears.

Hmmm...just went looking through the upcoming 2010 games for a 3rd-party big-budget, big-name AAA title...here we go, found one: If Epic Mickey is well-reviewed (gamerankings > 85%) and still doesn't sell well (< 2M in first year) then I will admit that Wii owners are a bunch of non-gamers who only buy Nintendo games and shovelware crap. :ponder:

Now, admittedly, that means that it could be almost two years until we know one way or another, but: hey, it ain't my fault that none of Activision, Capcom, nor Electronic Arts see fit to release any AAA titles for the Wii.

Ōkami - sold 0.28M

A very well-done port of a 2-year old PS2 game. Critics loved it, but it didn't sell real well on the PS2 (~0.30M).

Okami Wii is rushed garbage, I've yet to see a game with worse Wii controls. I found it totally insulting when the controls were actually the only spot they had to put some effort into and none of it worked.

I think I once spent 15 minutes just to erase a monster from a list and I don't think a single drawing magic worked on the first try during the 15 hours I sank into it. Add in incredible tiresome waggle combat.

That's not even considering the pig-ugly "this is art" graphics, which probably made most gamers avoid it on the PS2 originally...

That's just your opinion. :ponder:

Of course, that opinion caused me to cross Okami off my list of games to buy when you first expressed it a year ago or so. :D

In Capcom's defense the game Tatsunoku VS Capcom is the best fighter on the Wii, too bad they didn't have all the leans to the Tatsunoku chareactors in place outside of Japan and waited a year before fixing all that as well as translating it to be released it in North America. Now alot of people that really wanted it have already pirated the game cause Capcom gave the "gamers" no other option. Add another title to the piss poor sales list for Capcom and this time they can only blame themseleves cause this game could have been a huge seller if it wasn't over a year old on other markets.

That's just your opinion. :ponder:

The bit about the graphics is just my opinion yes (I forgot to say that underneath the different art-style it's (also IMO) just a second rate Zelda clone :ponder:), but the control issues should be instantly reproducable by everyone. While I've mastered Wii controls in over 40 titles, Okami is still about the only one where I thought the controls actually ruined the game. (I've seen other silly stuff like the waggle-jump in de Blob, but at least it worked...)

Of course, that opinion caused me to cross Okami off my list of games to buy when you first expressed it a year ago or so. :D

:o

I really wanted my money back, but I'm not saying it couldn't be fun for others. If you really think you might like it, you should get it. ( => for the PS2! ;))

then I will admit that Wii owners are a bunch of non-gamers who only buy Nintendo games and shovelware crap. :ponder:

Oh I wasn't meaning to imply all Wii owners are non-gamers.....just a lot of them. Game producers are going to go where their games sell the best.

I just want to know why the hell Tatsunoko Vs. Capcom isn't coming to the 360. That's BULLSHIT if you ask me. I'm all for giving the Wii it's due, but seriously, a dedicated hardcore fighting game on a system dominated by casual games and gamers? Come ON, at least port it to the 360!

In Capcom's defense the game Tatsunoku VS Capcom is the best fighter on the Wii, too bad they didn't have all the leans to the Tatsunoku chareactors in place outside of Japan and waited a year before fixing all that as well as translating it to be released it in North America. Now alot of people that really wanted it have already pirated the game cause Capcom gave the "gamers" no other option. Add another title to the piss poor sales list for Capcom and this time they can only blame themseleves cause this game could have been a huge seller if it wasn't over a year old on other markets.

Meh.. Guilty Gear XX, IMO.. but to each their own.

Face it, the majority of Wii owners could give a crap less about decent games ... That's the downside to getting non-gamers interested in game consoles.

I think your point is good, though I have a bit of a concern with making that out-and-out assumption that "most Wii owners are not gamers". I'm not sure any of us have ever seen their percentage breakdown of "casual" vs. "hardcore" gamers broken out.

Certainly, there's a case to suggest that there a significant number of "non gamers". That said, I see a lot of posts of various forums (and competitors) where people assume that "Most Wii owners only have Wii Sports and Wii Fit". If that were the case, 60 million Wii owners wouldn't have purchased 400 million games. And if they were all casual gamers, there wouldn't be million sellers like Resident Evil 4 on the console.

I think the Wii does have a lower attach rate than the XBox 360 for sure, but I don't think it's as drastic as some suggest.

Also, does anyone else think the Capcom guy was misquoted? Around the time he said, "16,000 sold", VHChartz was saying "160,000 sold".

I'm all for giving the Wii it's due, but seriously, a dedicated hardcore fighting game on a system dominated by casual games and gamers?

Same here. Has Nintendo ever provided a breakdown of their 65 million user base of who is "casual" and who is "hardcore"?

Edited by DracIsBack

I think that Monster Hunter Tri will do well on the Wii. Even thought Nintendo will be publishing it, it is a core Capcom Franchise. I think the Wii has its best yet to come. I think that third party developers have gambled wrong with the system, and look forward to what is coming out. I have to be honest. The Wii is over three years old and is going strong. Looks like the whole "fad" thing is way false. I love the Wii and the quality games on it.

More people bought Guitar Hero III for the Wii than for any other system.

More people bought Guitar Hero: World Tour for the Wii than for any other system.

More people bought Guitar Hero 5 for the Wii than for any other system.

More people bought LEGO Star Wars for the Wii than for any other system.

More people bought Tiger Woods 10 for the Wii than for any other system.

Like I said above in the original post: if it is a high quality game, with a strong brand and/or strong marketing, that is family friendly, it will sell.

Wii owners aren't as game-savvy as 360/PS3 owners, they aren't going to jump all over little-marketed niche games like Zack & Wiki or Dead Space Extraction, but they do and will buy games.

Probably RE5 wouldn't have set any sales records on the Wii, but I bet SFIV would have been a big seller on the Wii. But Capcom instead released a big pile of mediocre Wii games in 2009 and, now that they didn't sell, don't want to admit that their games weren't that good.

• Like 2

Like I said above in the original post: if it is a high quality game, with a strong brand and/or strong marketing, that is family friendly, it will sell.

Those examples in my opinion aren't very good at illustrating what you are trying to show. For instance the Tiger Woods game didn't hardly sell on any system. It only sold less sucky on the Wii probably because of the Motion + (people were looking for a game to try out with their new toy) in the end, it sold like ass.

Look at the rest of your list.

Guitar Hero III sold .03 more on the Wii than the 360.

This is with DOUBLE the potential buyers, that amounts to millions and millions of more potentials sales of the product.....

.03 more.

:ponder:

Lets try this. Lets look up what a person might consider HUGE 3rd party releases on the Wii and the 360 (Keeping in mind those millions and millions...and millions of additional potential sales and see how they measure up.

Guitar Hero is a big franchise, and it sold well on the Wii so we'll use that as one even though it wasn't an exclusive

Carnival Games came out of no-where. Sold well.

EA Sports Active cashing in on the Wii fit fad

So we'll start there.

GH = 4.3 mil

Carnival Games = 3.5 mil

Sport Active = 2.5

(Note these are a few of the biggest 3rd party sellers on the Wii and actually GH is THE highest so that's why I used it.)

Now lets look at the 360 3rd party games.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 = 8.5 mil

Grand Theft Auto IV = 7.5

Assassin's Creed = 4.7

Again these are some of the hottest 3rd party games on the 360

See the difference?

See why I think the majority of Wii owners could care less about video games?

Those millions and millions and millions of additional consumers don't seem to mean anything.

They get a game that has Mario in the title, they get whatever their neighbors pick up to keep up with the Jones's (Wii FIt for example), and they get whatever $20 "game" will keep the kids yap shut for a week-end.

That's my opinion anyways. The sales numbers seem to support this.

It's not something that bothers me, I've found plenty of kick ass games on the Wii (Madworld, Elebits, House of the Dead)

I can just see how 3rd party game producers would be turned off and it's sad because those kick ass games are going to get fewer and father between.